Tartan 44 - Pegasus

JosephD

Just curious if anyone on this forum knows anything about a Tartan 44 named Pegasus. I see she is for sale and I would like to gather as much info on her as I can. Thanks much!

accnick

Super Anarchist
Assuming this is an older boat, the Tartan 44 is just a Tartan 41 with a stretched-out stern. The result is a bit of an odd duck, with a very narrow, long overhanging stern that is of little practical use.

JosephD

Assuming this is an older boat, the Tartan 44 is just a Tartan 41 with a stretched-out stern. The result is a bit of an odd duck, with a very narrow, long overhanging stern that is of little practical use.
Yes, that is correct. It is an older Tartan 41 that had 3 feet added to the stern while being manufactured.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
Good boat. Family boat around here. They seem to have fun with it and I think it sails well both in absolute terms and to its rating. Pretty well kept for an IOR Warhorse.

Last time we passed them in a vineyard race they had an A3 up on the pole and were hanging out on deck drinking margaritas as we hiked our asses off. Looked like fun.

Spent a bit of time collecting trophies on Fevers the Tartan 41s in the mid 70s. They were IOR hole diggers with masts that were like telephone poles at the deck. The owner had one of the first 41s. We took his first one to the in the water Detroit Metro Beach Boat Show that year. He wanted a higher pointing, faster up wind boat. So SS designed a new keel for the next Tarten 41 he bought.

The T41 loved rail lead jib reaching. The Tripple slot Chute reach was the thing. With a penalty pole, a special cut reaching chute, jib on the rail and a tall boy staysail combination pulled in the wins. The T41s needed big winches and strong backs to do anything.

Tartans were Solid built as a brick shit shit houses back then. I have a photo of me in knee deep water way offshore in Georgen Bay after pushing the bow of the first Fever off a soliod rock ledge Reef. We were motor sailing at above seven knots on a flat calm day and hit it head on. I knew the reef was there, the helmsman did not, I thought he did…Lession learned.

We stoped from 7+ knots boat speed to 0 in 4 inches, as that was the depth of the dent in the lead keels front edge a few feet from the keels bottum. That’s it just a dent in the keels leading edge. No keel bolt leaks, no keel to bottom joint faring cracks, hull or stringer damage.

When the T44 came out I was racing 3/4 toners.. great boats low loads just pull the lines usually no grinder needed.

Warren Jones had a turbo T41 The Great Whisper .

Last edited:

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Are you referring to Agape? That was a Kaufman designed two tonner. I’m not sure if it was built by Tartan though.
He had the 44 before the Holland:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
He had the 44 before the Holland:

That solves the mystery. Both of those boats were before I got involved with his program. And to bring the story full circle, his daughter currently has a Tartan 4000, so they must like the brand.