Teak Decks/Teak oil... read on!

Borax Johnson

Anarchist
Seriously, I AM asking for a friend. I have teak decks that I am happy with their nice gray look and spot on nonskid.

A friend wants to look "fancy" and was asking about teak cleaner (oxalic acid?) with Starbrite teak oil or similar. I have nothing and prefer au-natural.

Anyone else?

hdra

Anarchist
DON'T use teak oil, especially not for a surface that's outdoors & getting walked on - it traps dirt, oxidizes (i think), and either way very quickly turns a nasty black that's even harder to clean - you end up in a nasty cycle of having to use chemical cleaners several times a year and only having it look good for a few weeks. If he wants a "finished" surface, use a teak sealer - we really like Semco, but there are a few others out there that have their proponents.

The only way to clean wood without destroying it is to scrap finishes off and sand out. There is no free lunch any wonder treatment or acid is going to do far more damage to the wood, specifically dissolving the cellulose between the hard grain. Any kind of a natural oil treatment requires alot of maintenance to upkeep. We still oil our cockpit when we want it fancy. It's very dense old teak and can take lots of sanding and cleaning. As above oil collects dirt, turns black and doesn't last in any UV so it's 100% vanity project. If they want a natural non varnish look then Semco or similar after sanding out is absolutely the way to go. Do research on "footing" though as you can make a ice skating rink in a hurry. There are some products that have good footing and UV and maintain a natural finish. Semco comes highly recommended but other products are out there.

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
the PO of my boat swore by "teak wonder". I'm not familiar with what it actually is, but the teak looks good.
Is that a sealer similar to Semco?

I previously used the waterborne nano-tech sealer on my previous boat. Allowed the teak to weather to grey, but provided UV and water / stain protection...

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
To my eye the best looking teak deck is scrubbed planking with the king plank and covering boards varnished or sealed to frame in the planking.

1658953672055.png

Windward

Super Anarchist
Ok, so what is the suggested solution to treating a teak swimstep?

Natural gray is not desired.

Teak oil is super easy, but as noted above, it looks like crap in 2 weeks.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I have had the best success with SEMCO system:
SEMCO Teak Cleaner
SEMCO Teak Sealer (Natural)

The SEMCO Teak Sealer is UV resistent which is REALLY important if you want to keep the decks looking freshly sanded/cleaned through a season. Just reapply once a season and you are good to go.'
1661218787516.png

Use this sealer
1661218899851.png

My decks were done last May, and today they still look like they were just done and its end of August. Amazing stuff. Once a month I hose down the deck to get any loose dirt off the decks. Maybe a light detergent with a SOFT brush if you want to go the extra mile, but it's not needed.

zara505.jpg

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
When I had a boat with teak and I liked taking care of it, I used a rotary scrubber like THIS

Scrubbing with the grain creates deep crevices in the grain and looks like shit. The rotary brush along with cleaner that foams a lot seemed to do the job without abrading the teak.

I also used Semco and at least annual re-application.

Windward

Super Anarchist
I have had the best success with SEMCO system:
SEMCO Teak Cleaner
SEMCO Teak Sealer (Natural)

The SEMCO Teak Sealer is UV resistent which is REALLY important if you want to keep the decks looking freshly sanded/cleaned through a season. Just reapply once a season and you are good to go.'
View attachment 536179

Use this sealer
View attachment 536180

My decks were done last May, and today they still look like they were just done and its end of August. Amazing stuff. Once a month I hose down the deck to get any loose dirt off the decks. Maybe a light detergent with a SOFT brush if you want to go the extra mile, but it's not needed.

View attachment 536181
Going to give Semco a try this fall, thanks!

*** unrelated, your boat looks way too perfect and new. It needs a good seagull poo to make it look authentic.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Going to give Semco a try this fall, thanks!

*** unrelated, your boat looks way too perfect and new. It needs a good seagull poo to make it look authentic.
Also worth considering is the new generation of Nano teak sealers

ive only ever used them on interior teak

they are transparent and when used on the interior…shower grates and wheelhouse teak deck … very durable

Latest posts