Team American Magic

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I must admit I would have waited until there is real evidence that there likely to be an entry.

When two US challengers were mooted I suggested that that by splitting resources that way they might end up with none. I'm not convinced I was wrong 

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
fuck you very much

" Well according to rumors emanating from close to the club they will take no part in AC37  "
I could not agree more. The Format, the Boats and the Costs are just stupid. I do like foiling but it limits the field to a very select few. With a world of about 6.5 billion people there should be more competition.

The AC Show is a failure. If you want to bring viewers in, use Boats, Race Format and costs that everyone can relate to.

Everyone can relate to car racing, from go carts to F1 because we all jump behind the wheel almost everyday. A lot of people have sailed boats and might watch if the boats were relatable and they actually had to change sails during the race. Instead if they change the jib, it takes 20 minutes between races. BORING

As a sailor I can relate to the AC Shit Show. But it becomes relatively boring very quickly, much like watching the final race of SailGP with only 3 boats out there for a wiener take all.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Not convinced. The AC has generally been a design race amongst a few. The events where there were lots of boats are in the minority. And it is a design race so the boats should be fast, exciting and special.

I don't think the difference between the AC75s and everyday sailing boats is any more than that between F1 and road cars. And I can see many more foilers coming on to the market which will shrink the gap even more.

Bigger problem if GD doesn't get the money together, but if the NYYC, or even all of US decides not to play that is not the end of the world. Lets face it, all the worlds truly big team sporting events manage to survive with zero or minor interest from the US.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I must admit I would have waited until there is real evidence that there likely to be an entry.

When two US challengers were mooted I suggested that that by splitting resources that way they might end up with none. I'm not convinced I was wrong 
There is clear evidence that American Magic will challenge highly likely through a Yacht Club in the Florida Panhandle (Pensacola).

Hutchinson has retained AM's Financial Backers Hap Fauth & Doug DeVos.

Thanks @Admiral Hornblower :) This Thread was loooong overdue!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is clear evidence that American Magic will challenge highly likely through a Yacht Club in the Florida Panhandle (Pensacola).

Hutchinson has retained AM's Financial Backers Hap Fauth & Dick DeVos.

Thanks @Admiral Hornblower :) This Thread was loooong overdue!
While it sounds like their design team is going to be pretty much overhauled with most of them jumping to Alinghy, if the rumors are true that TH has lined up Slingsby, Goodie and Campbell - that's a decent threesome to put on the starting line.  (their starts cannot be any worse than AC36)

One Correction - It is Doug DeVos instead of the older sibling - Dick DeVos.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
While it sounds like their design team is going to be pretty much overhauled with most of them jumping to Alinghy, if the rumors are true that TH has lined up Slingsby, Goodie and Campbell - that's a decent threesome to put on the starting line.  (their starts cannot be any worse than AC36)

One Correction - It is Doug DeVos instead of the older sibling - Dick DeVos.
Thanks for the correction mate! :)

cbulger

Newport
Not sure they merit a thread until they get a qualified CEO who will make the tough decisions on talent - on and off the water.  One sailmaker with 2 wealthy owners "on the line" does not add up to a leadership team for directing a $100 million competitive undertaking.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
Not convinced. The AC has generally been a design race amongst a few. The events where there were lots of boats are in the minority. And it is a design race so the boats should be fast, exciting and special.

I don't think the difference between the AC75s and everyday sailing boats is any more than that between F1 and road cars. And I can see many more foilers coming on to the market which will shrink the gap even more.

Bigger problem if GD doesn't get the money together, but if the NYYC, or even all of US decides not to play that is not the end of the world. Lets face it, all the worlds truly big team sporting events manage to survive with zero or minor interest from the US.
I was not just talking about differences in the boats. I was talking about relatability. The General Public and Most Sailors cannot relate to foiling. Hell, I can't even get people to come out and try Land Sailing, which is faster and safer than any foiling boat.

And I'm sure more foiling boats will be coming out. But just look at the infrastructure needed to launce a Family foiler or a small Club foiling racer at your local harbor launch ramp. We've all seen videos of idiots launching their boats. Now add foils on your boat and idiots around you. Imagine the Liability issues, California Lawyers are drooling already.

But like you said, who cares if the US does not want to play. I certainly don't. I get more enjoyment watching the 18 footers in Sydney than I do watching the AC or SailGP.

Not sure they merit a thread until they get a qualified CEO who will make the tough decisions on talent - on and off the water.  One sailmaker with 2 wealthy owners "on the line" does not add up to a leadership team for directing a $100 million competitive undertaking.
There is probably time for you to cancel your S&S Ralph Lauren order

cbulger

Newport
If you point is that AM is the best we got - fair enough.

I'm just griping because I'd love to cheer for a great US sailing team at the top of the sport, but we do have Daniela!

If you point is that AM is the best we got - fair enough.

I'm just griping because I'd love to cheer for a great US sailing team at the top of the sport, but we do have Daniela!
I agree - there was zero leadership in that team for AC36.  TH hired his sailing buddies, couldn't look himself in the mirror and see that he was a liability as a 50 year old grinder; off the water operations sounds like it was a fuster cluck with a 12 meter captain as COO; European design team has bailed to Alinghy

This is why Commodore Culver wanted to dump them from the NYYC and buy the S&S Snake Oil.

Hopefully they have all learned from their mistakes.

bluelaser2

CLE
Why would a yacht club be interested in that which is clearly NOT yachting?  

The most recent AC was essentially a demonstration sport.  It's not based on anything large numbers of people have even remote experience of. 

Although the universal rule that the faster boat will win the Cup remained in force, and the contest is usually fought and won before the first race, the actual sailing of the boats and the tactics used in the races were essentially frivolous.   Even the contest before the contest was boring, with no passion and barely any human element at all.  

Everything looks slow on TV.  50 knots may as well be a hundred.  What really matters is the rate of change between the boats, which was way TOO fast.  One mistake was a thousands of meters.  

Powerful ships pushing tons of water, racing for hours on end, fighting over tiny fractions of a % in speed and never knowing for sure who will win is what life on the high seas was for hundreds of years, when 1/10 of a knot could mean your ass.   That's drama.  That's yachting.   This obscene waste of money to demonstrate foiling for a handful of teams is absurdly lame, and I doubt will last many more cycles, if even one.   

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
Powerful ships pushing tons of water, racing for hours on end, fighting over tiny fractions of a % in speed and never knowing for sure who will win is what life on the high seas was for hundreds of years, when 1/10 of a knot could mean your ass.   That's drama.  That's yachting.   This obscene waste of money to demonstrate foiling for a handful of teams is absurdly lame, and I doubt will last many more cycles, if even one.   
love it! +1

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
If AM gets a beard club and wins, that YC will be the Cup holder.  Then the venue selection starts again...if it's some Florida club in the Panhandle, hurricanes seem to be liking the northern Gulf coast nowadays. Back to the future in Rhodiland?