The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Just posted on Facebook:

IMG_0505.jpg

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
What are the restrictions on sailing the old AC75?

I know that Alinghi has some special status to sail the old boat because they are a new team, but aren't the old teams only allowed a very limited amount of sailing in the AC75?

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
And when did the AC put a limit on practice sailing days?

Other than not breaking stuff, you still gotta pay everybody...
Didn't this start with '13? I don't remember the reasoning. I don't think anybody except the Kiwi's on their first boat got even close to the limited days.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Yes, you still have to pay everyone. But the stuff wears out fast. More sailing days definitely is more cost. More fuel. More sails. Especially in heavy air, those foils get a lot of wear when cavitating.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Latest Shirley Robertson podcast is a two part with John Bertrand. Of interest here he slips in an anecdote with TS signing for American magic. He's a mentor figure for Tom and it was on the cards for a while it seems
The rumor posted here some months back that Doug DeVos had been chatting with TS made it pretty clear that it would happen one way or another, eventually. TS adds a great deal of spice to this team, am really happy about it.

THutch and the Quantum team won the most recent TP52 event, not sure the season standings but that's a great series. TS was with the other leading contender, may have been Platoon?

trt131

Super Anarchist
The rumor posted here some months back that Doug DeVos had been chatting with TS made it pretty clear that it would happen one way or another, eventually. TS adds a great deal of spice to this team, am really happy about it.

THutch and the Quantum team won the most recent TP52 event, not sure the season standings but that's a great series. TS was with the other leading contender, may have been Platoon?
Phoenix

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA

They were both tacticians, TH on Q and TS on Phoenix.

Here was an interview with both of them before the final day of racing:

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
So are we sayin' that of the 5 boats in this AC, 3 of them will be skippered by Aussies? :unsure:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
If you consider this along with Ashby's input into TNZ and the Parko/Goobs combo on INEOS then it's probably a good thing for everyone else that AUS haven't managed to get their own AC team...

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Is TS rumoured to join AM as skipper or helm or both?
No official title is mentioned but from

“Having Tom and Paul Goodison, both Olympic Gold Medalists and world champions, driving our AC75 gives us a great competitive position,” says Hap Fauth. “They are fierce competitors who win at the highest level of sailing. Combine this with the world-class team we are building, and I am thrilled with our prospects.”

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
No official title is mentioned but from

“Having Tom and Paul Goodison, both Olympic Gold Medalists and world champions, driving our AC75 gives us a great competitive position,” says Hap Fauth. “They are fierce competitors who win at the highest level of sailing. Combine this with the world-class team we are building, and I am thrilled with our prospects.”
ha ha, you beat me by a few seconds...

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Thanks. If https://americanmagic.americascup.com/en/team is still to be believed, TH will skipper. According to the LR website, MS will skipper LR, JS is listed as "sailor". So the only confirmed AUS skipper, I think, is GA on ETNZ?

The difference isn't just semantic. I used to helm other (richer) people's boats, meaning I sailed as fast as I knew how in the direction I was told to go. Not "skipper".

MR.CLEAN

Not here
If you consider this along with Ashby's input into TNZ and the Parko/Goobs combo on INEOS then it's probably a good thing for everyone else that AUS haven't managed to get their own AC team...
The tightness of Aussie wallets is a global blessing, in other words

Latest posts