Team France, AC-37

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
From there,

The AC75 expected in May 2024

In addition to recruitment, the other major priority for Orient Express Racing Team in recent weeks has been to launch the build of the French AC75 which has just started from the design package purchased from Emirates Team New Zealand, which is surrounded by considerable discretion on the part of those we spoke to, the subject remaining very sensitive and obviously scrutinized by the other challengers. “The manufacturing of the tools has begun,” explains Antoine Caraz, “Building the hull, the deck and the structures should take from the end of June until October at Multiplast, before the start of assembly from the beginning of November, then the boat equipment with hydraulic and electronic systems, fittings.”

The mast will finally be made at Southern Spars, New Zealand, and not by CDK Technologies, as initially announced – “for planning reasons and because they had another customer in the America’s Cup“, specifies the technical director. The appendages will be from “a local supplier, but it is not yet signed”, he adds, while North Sails France has been entrusted with the design of the sails of a boat which should be finished in May 2024.

As for the “chase-boat with foils and hydrogen, imposed by the Protocol, “we will communicate on it soon, there will be a great project of French hydrogen nautical sector, with this chase-boat at the base”, comments Stéphane Kandler. In the coming weeks the team will move from Lorient to Vannes, to the heart of the Multiplast yard, while the shore team and the sailors will settle in Barcelona in early July on a temporary base made up of 25 containers and a tent capable of accommodating the AC40, at the bottom of the Porta d’Europa bridge, in the commercial port. The final base, with a total area of 6,000 m2, will be operational “at the end of winter 2023-2024 and will come into operation when the AC75 arrives”, adds Louis Viat.

symbio2

I wonder which team is going to build his mast at CDK ? Perhaps Alinghi ?

They still looking to rent a legacy AC75 (the french sailors need hugely, urgently, to learn those boats). However not only the extremely costly bad bargain (obviously requested by unwilling opponents), but also the unclear protocol rules on this aspect, make it even more difficult.

About the foiling chaseboat (yet an anecdotic matter), I would not be surprised at all if MerConcept (Gabart's compagny) provided it.

Last edited:
I wonder which team is going to build his mast at CDK ? Perhaps Alinghi ?

They still looking to rent a legacy AC75 (the french sailors need hugely, urgently, to learn those boats). However not only the extremely costly bad bargain (obviously requested by unwilling opponents), but also the unclear protocol rules on this aspect, make it even more difficult.

About the foiling chaseboat (yet an anecdotic matter), I would not be surprised at all if MerConcept (Gabart's compagny) provided it.
Luna Rossa may have a 75 available, they're taking the leq12 route to the cup.

Merconcept already have a nice looking electric model, could easily be adapted to hydrogen I reckon.

I wonder if the French do make the Start Line next year for the CSS!
With accor/orient express backing them, why not? That was an impressive campaign launch imo, the accor boss spoke well. Sailing wise they'll be in Barcelona this summer with a 45 and ready for the ensuing regattas.
Ps last year you posted a face book page of Te kahu in transit to France.
You appear to be correct. It's at a small island just south of Vannes (the site of their 75 build facility) and where the executive group is locating to in a month or so.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
With accor/orient express backing them, why not? That was an impressive campaign launch imo, the accor boss spoke well. Sailing wise they'll be in Barcelona this summer with a 45 and ready for the ensuing regattas.
Ps last year you posted a face book page of Te kahu in transit to France.
You appear to be correct. It's at a small island just south of Vannes (the site of their 75 build facility) and where the executive group is locating to in a month or so.
I hope they make it given Quentins stellar Season in SailGP this year! The guy has talent!

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
JCB can convert their plant engines from diesel to hydrogen and it'd be more cost-effective and useful fitting out a workhorse/spectator type hydrogen craft that can trundle around all day than a wiz bang show pony

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
They do not have a snowball chance in hell to be competitive in this Cup. They are already locking in their design and built the boat before they have even sail an AC75. That is a lot of blind trust in the NZ plans that you know are not giving away any secrets.
Multiplast is their top wharf, where the Imoca's and Maxi trimarans are build.
Do not underestimate the design power of french industry: they had some remarkable good designs in the past. And they deliver good sailors as well.
Concorde_G-BOAC_03 (1).jpg

Citroen SM.jpg

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Multiplast is their top wharf, where the Imoca's and Maxi trimarans are build.
Do not underestimate the design power of french industry: they had some remarkable good designs in the past. And they deliver good sailors as well.
View attachment 595628
View attachment 595629
I'm with Alchemist on this one.
They will likely do better than in Bermuda because they will have NZ's starter kit.
However, they will ONLY have their starter kit and will be lucky to make it past the preliminary rounds.
That said, the poms have pedigree for building total barges and may even make the frogs look good.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
I'm with Alchemist on this one.
They will likely do better than in Bermuda because they will have NZ's starter kit.
However, they will ONLY have their starter kit and will be lucky to make it past the preliminary rounds.
That said, the poms have pedigree for building total barges and may even make the frogs look good.
Ben wil be leading a tough cookie team. Formula 1 at the moment is build and designed in Great Britain. Friend Max couldn't have won without them. We will see. It is going to be an interesting cup, thats for sure.
Max verstappen.jpg

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Such a barge it was unbeaten in the RR last time?
Interesting how people confuse what they thought before the RR with what actually happened
Ummm, did you see how they performed in light airs in Auckland?
Did you see how far off the pace they were in Bermuda?
We are talking about possibly the best funded team in each of those cup cycles and they still couldn't produce a competitive boat.

Objectively, they have NOT been able to produce a competitive boat in either campaigns thus far.
Its not something that can reasonably be debated.

buckdouger

Anarchist
Is there any benefit to the challengers that the French will allow them to line up with a pretty close design to the defenders and gain experience doing so?

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
We are talking about possibly the best funded team in each of those cup cycles and they still couldn't produce a competitive boat.

Objectively, they have NOT been able to produce a competitive boat in either campaigns thus far.
Did they win all races in the RR last time?
Including a very light race (day 2?)
They didn't manage to improve as much as LR for the challenger final, but by all objective measures beat AM, so seems strange to pick on them as the barge

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Ben wil be leading a tough cookie team. Formula 1 at the moment is build and designed in Great Britain. Friend Max couldn't have won without them. We will see. It is going to be an interesting cup, thats for sure.
View attachment 595633
I hope they DO get their shit together and field a great boat/time and wouldn't be remotely upset if they won it.
However, they've really shown no pedigree.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg

You have no proof that INEOS was the best funded Team in Auckland. Hap Fauth & Doug DeVos pumped in north of 140M $ into their Auckland Campaign and they didn't win a single Race when it counted in the Prada Cup.

The more I think about it my gut feel tells me that the Test Boat or LED Route was the wrong one for the Italians & Brits.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Challenger Final next year is between American Magic and Alinghi.

Since leaving Auckland neither LR nor INEOS has stepped up on an AC75. I think that's a mistake while ETNZ, AM and ARBR have long Days of Training on Patriot, Te Aihe and Te Rehutai.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
You have no proof that INEOS was the best funded Team in Auckland. Hap Fauth & Doug DeVos pumped in north of 140M $ into their Auckland Campaign and they didn't win a single Race when it counted in the Prada Cup.

The more I think about it my gut feel tells me that the Test Boat or LED Route was the wrong one for the Italians & Brits.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Challenger Final next year is between American Magic and Alinghi.

Since leaving Auckland neither LR nor INEOS has stepped up on an AC75. I think that's a mistake while ETNZ, AM and ARBR have long Days of Training on Patriot, Te Aihe and Te Rehutai.
I never said I have proof that they were the best funded.
I stated probably.
Also regarding INEOS' and LR's lack of training, ETNZ turned up to Bermuda without as much training as the others and subsequently took out a rubber glove and fisted all the other teams.
So you could be correct, but...

Monkey

Super Anarchist

That actually makes me sad, because you seem to have a consistent track record of being wrong with every idiotic statement, and I wanted AM to do well this time.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I never said I have proof that they were the best funded.
I stated probably.
Also regarding INEOS' and LR's lack of training, ETNZ turned up to Bermuda without as much training as the others and subsequently took out a rubber glove and fisted all the other teams.
So you could be correct, but...
Regardless INEOS is a complete chaos Team. I wish Ben would pack his bags for good and get out of the AC Game altogether. He is so super bad as CEO and Team Leader. He has no clue and trusts his Wife too much making Decisions.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Regardless INEOS is a complete chaos Team. I wish Ben would pack his bags for good and get out of the AC Game altogether. He is so super bad as CEO and Team Leader. He has no clue and trusts his Wife too much making Decisions.
I have no idea as to the specifics as to why BAR have underperformed, however I have previously speculated that the leadership just isn't working.
Ben is clearly an amazing sailor, but being good at something doesn't make you good at leading teams of people doing that something.

Latest posts

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: