Team Malaga

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Seriously: “un alto rendimiento económico a cambio de una inversión moderada en infraestructura”

Venue purse: “¿qué es eso? Ni hablar”

Barcelona out, at least

Last edited by a moderator:
They've been looking at it since October?

GD and his "three excellent bids" was in September, right?

This thing is far from sorted
Malaga didn't start surfacing until early December.  €45M from the City/Region and €30M total from a couple major sponsors needed - that gets to GD's NZ$120M ask; +/- whatever the exchange rates are currently at.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
This thing is far from sorted
My take on it too. But since the mayor did broach the subject in a speech where this got less attention than a variety of other subjects on his mind to talk about, it's at least something. (patting myself on the back) I have been googling for 'copa america' 'malaga' for a while and something official did finally turn up, albeit mid-Jan already. Now it's being reported in a bunch of sailing press  :)  

One g-tran account suggested the mayor brought it up so as to try bring the idea to the attention of potential private investors. So yes, could be far from sorted... Be that as it may, I posted a guess a couple weeks back for where whoever-all might be proposing for bases. Here's another (below), it could be the buildings to the southwest of the S in Sail. If anyone wants to try in Google Earth, it could be fun to get some street pics of them; maybe dimensions too - am guessing the larger ones are close to 50m in length? Would they be usable, or would they be tear-downs? 

IMG_7617[5367].jpg

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ignore the 93, that building is just about 90mX40m, a monster

Malaga_3.png

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
That might be similar in size to Pier 80 (Oracle base) in SF.
Agree. That one but also the other buildings there are super-big and in better condition than what P80 was. I 'walked' up and own that front street for a few minutes and why the Malaga Mayor says minimal investment would be required, facility-wise anyway, I can see that being true. Hard to say what they'd give up in other-commercial interests; they appear to be just grain silos (some of them soft-roofed, even) but walkby looks didn't show any massive amount of trucking activity in or out - despite the super-easy access into the Port of Malaga, the ferry terminal there, easy loading docks access via the bridge, etc. Could see it being a realistic venue but (of course...) the only real money still on offer is in Auckland. None of this changes my mind about an Auckland Home Defense still being the most viable and most perfectly well-prepared choice. Tick, tick, tick...  With this late gambol by OSG in Malaga, Cork was apparently not exactly chomping at the bit either. Hard sell, for the massive asking price.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Agree. That one but also the other buildings there are super-big and in better condition than what P80 was. I 'walked' up and own that front street for a few minutes and why the Malaga Mayor says minimal investment would be required, facility-wise anyway, I can see that being true. Hard to say what they'd give up in other-commercial interests; they appear to be just grain silos (some of them soft-roofed, even) but walkby looks didn't show any massive amount of trucking activity in or out - despite the super-easy access into the Port of Malaga, the ferry terminal there, easy loading docks access via the bridge, etc. Could see it being a realistic venue but (of course...) the only real money still on offer is in Auckland. None of this changes my mind about an Auckland Home Defense still being the most viable and most perfectly well-prepared choice. Tick, tick, tick...  With this late gambol by OSG in Malaga, Cork was apparently not exactly chomping at the bit either. Hard sell, for the massive asking price.
Realistically, at this stage you need five team bases the size of that big building. The smaller buildings in between would have to go to give access to the waterfront itself for launching/hauling. Add in the semi-used triangular area, and you might just barely have enough space.

Race management needs about the same amount of space as a team base, including waterfront for all the support boats. TV and other services do not necessarily need waterfront, but need to be nearby.

Pier 80 was not that bad. Oracle built buildings-within-buildings inside the primary building. They had about the same amount of waterfront--maybe more--outside the primary building, but you needed that to step and unstep the wing and launch/haul the race boat.