Team Malaga

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
What do we think the chances of a venue being selected by the march date are?
It's a good guess by any of us but as I myself have kept pointing out, when it comes to local politics and approvals and etc, even Cork is far out from going through that grinder. The number of approval entities that the Mayor in Malaga listed was a long one too. The sell-line about how GD had to cut down the number of competing venues from 35 to 3 or 4 was just that, an attempted sell. This late  Malaga interest may serve as argument to a few folks on the Cork City Council, I guess time will tell if that arg helps them up-chain. There are basically zero alternatives to Auckland best I can tell, still.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Realistically, at this stage you need five team bases the size of that big building. The smaller buildings in between would have to go to give access to the waterfront itself for launching/hauling. Add in the semi-used triangular area, and you might just barely have enough space.

Race management needs about the same amount of space as a team base, including waterfront for all the support boats. TV and other services do not necessarily need waterfront, but need to be nearby.
You think, really? If there are 4 buildings close to 90mX40m, they could surely be split back to back as bases? What were the base dimensions in AUK?

They may want to install extra cranes but there are some monsters within trolley-distance across a short 4-lane bridge.

Being in supposedly a great breeze right on the waterfront, GD could proudly fly his newly-sold Emirates Team Malaga flag 24 hours a day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
None of this changes my mind about an Auckland Home Defense still being the most viable and most perfectly well-prepared choice. Tick, tick, tick... 
You really need urgent brain surgery, my friend.

My uncle from Toronto who wanted to be a Newfie did that half succesfully, and now lives in Quebec, "il n"a pas de problème".

accnick

Super Anarchist
You think, really? If there are 4 buildings close to 90mX40m, they could surely be split back to back as bases? What were the base dimensions in AUK?
I am saying this based on the space requirements for the teams in SF. Because they were scattered all over the place, you didn't necessarily see how much space it added up to.

The bases in Bermuda were jam-packed, but AC 50s took up less space than the AC75 or AC72, and people did not necessarily appreciate how much space within the Dockyard buildings was occupied by the teams as offices. The tents on the waterfront were all the public could see.

Remember that Artemis had a separate base in BDA at the old Naval Annex at the other end of Great Sound, despite the new construction on landfill in the Dockyard area. This was pretty analogous to what they did in Alameda for AC 34.

I have not tried to add up the comparable space used in Auckland during AC 36. Maybe someone could do that with the judicious use of Google Earth. This seems right up your alley, Stingers.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Good points. But those buildings in Malaga are pretty big! They could be just knockdowns, it may well not even be the proposed location for the bases, please everyone feel free to speculate otherwise about wth that Mayor was on about. :)

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
What does the AC37 Prot say about team bases? The HVA for in Auckland was pretty specific, think it was forward-looking too?

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
 "The cost of this project would not fall so much on the administrations as on private sponsorships to reduce the public contribution as much as possible. We are already sounding out the interest that a America Cup 2024 in Malaga may arouse among top-level companies. Making it public today is useful to precisely get more support that reduces, hopefully to zero, the public contribution ".

Uh-huh.  Businesses, not the government.  And GD would expect no oversight or accountability?  Good luck.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
 "The cost of this project would not fall so much on the administrations as on private sponsorships to reduce the public contribution as much as possible. We are already sounding out the interest that a America Cup 2024 in Malaga may arouse among top-level companies. Making it public today is useful to precisely get more support that reduces, hopefully to zero, the public contribution ".

Uh-huh.  Businesses, not the government.  And GD would expect no oversight or accountability?  Good luck.
I could see a Rolex or somebody as a headline event sponsor but who would besides the usual Emirates would step up to pay for Team Malaga, aka ETM? Prada obviously will not. LV, maybe?

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
exactly, that's where the esteemed Mr. Dalton has got us. it's the ultimate irony - PB can simply fork over the cash and hold the event in Cagliari. No need to win it anymore.

it's almost like bribery - but Dalt's doing it in the open (hey sailor?). Offering his team up for sale to the highest bidder. is there a better name for that?

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
But embarrassing if GD can't get companies to cough up the money for team ABNZ, but Malaga does

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
exactly, that's where the esteemed Mr. Dalton has got us. it's the ultimate irony - PB can simply fork over the cash and hold the event in Cagliari. No need to win it anymore.

it's almost like bribery - but Dalt's doing it in the open (hey sailor?). Offering his team up for sale to the highest bidder. is there a better name for that?
Given how the first Event for AC36 was destined for Cagliari, it suggests they could easily accommodate an AC. Compared to Cork and to Malaga, it likely has by far the better sailing conditions too.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I could see a Rolex or somebody as a headline event sponsor but who would besides the usual Emirates would step up to pay for Team Malaga, aka ETM? Prada obviously will not. LV, maybe?
There’s a history of Spanish companies sponsoring VOR teams. It isn’t ridiculous to suppose sponsorship for Team Malaga might be forthcoming. Spain’s economy is 3 times the size of Ireland’s (much lower per head).