Team NYYC

Barnyb

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
make america’s cup great again

AC BREAKING EXCLUSIVE!

Deep sources in both Western Michigan and Rhode Island tell us that New York Yacht Club will announce their challenge for the 36th America’s Cup tomorrow.  Backed by a syndicate funded in large part by the DeVos family (of Quantum Racing, Amway, and Trump supporting fame) and longtime maxi competitor Hap Fauth (of Bella Mente fame), the team will be led by CEO Terry Hutchinson and will likely feature sails from the green donut.

Several other potential syndicate members – including Chicago Match Race founder Don Wilson – were rumored to be in talks with Devos & the NYYC, but our pals in Newport tell us that’s no longer the case, and the Chicago trader and property developer (and current North American M32 champ) is the first casualty of New Zealand’s decision to go monohull.

We continue to hear that a West Coast challenge is also in the works…more on that when it’s available.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2017/10/04/make-americas-cup-great-again/

https://twitter.com/RickDeVos?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsailinganarchy.com%2F2017%2F10%2F04%2Fmake-americas-cup-great-again%2F

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Watched a couple sailing interviews with Hap, one of them with THutch at Key West, he's actually pretty cool for a 71 yr old.

GD mentioned during the victory presser in Bermuda that he'd 'noticed' the money and the super yachts in town, was Hap there with his boat? edit: No, was on the Med

Last edited by a moderator:

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
From the rumor the team will be led by CEO Terry Hutchinson 

Suggesting Hap has a big influence on who-all will be on the team.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
No worries, wasn't a criticism, just curious if I missed something. 
Apparently sails won't be single sourced to NS, hopefully they (Quantum Racing as the team?) already have that assurance.

Some of what TH said in there jives with what GD also suggested in the Clean interview, about wing/sail structure.

Barnyb

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I don't get that inference. Presumably Quantum/Devos has more influence, and TH is plenty close with both. 

https://barracuda.news/article/terry-hutchinson-his-role-in-quantum-sails-future-of-sailing-and
So what is your future in sailing? Do you want to come back to America’s Cup?

Yes! I’d love to see America’s Cup end up in monohull world, so we can take Quantum Racing and do the America’s Cup. How is that for a sales pitch or something (laughs)

That would be something, wouldn’t it! And what about the present, who will win this Cup in your opinion?

It’s a great question... I’m not sure. I know enough information about each team to say one way or another who is going to win or lose. If I had a force in the race, quietly, I’d love to see Team New Zealand win, because I think they return it back to some sense of normalcy. I’m still not sure what that means, but I think they will take it out of multihulls and bring it back to monohulls. I think that, but I don’t know for sure. Judging by the fact that they did not join all the challengers in their show of support of the America’s Cup every two years, which is a bit wonky because whoever wins is going to determine what they are going to do with it. And just because you agree to something right then and there, to see how it all goes… In the end, it is the America’s Cup, so the one thing you know for certain is that self-interest will win out.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
^ I see the Trump bashing continues.
Nothing negative in there at all, unless you are a snowflake with a fantasy.  Article links to Devos' family's substantial donations to Trump, which is why 90% of the people in America who know their name, know their name.  (9% joined Amway at some point, and 1% are sailors*)

*not a scientific poll, but probably pretty close 

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I have confirmed that the announcement will be at 1200 ET tomorrow and it will be at NYYC.  I am not sure whether that means NY or RI.  No news on whether there is a news conference, which means there probably won't be.  Probably just a release and a photo.

Barnyb

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Nothing negative in there at all, unless you are a snowflake with a fantasy.  Article links to Devos' family's substantial donations to Trump, which is why 90% of the people in America who know their name, know their name.  (9% joined Amway at some point, and 1% are sailors*)

*not a scientific poll, but probably pretty close 
"Snowflake with a fantasy" now why does that term sound so familiar to me and other NZer's