Team NYYC

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Yes it would. If you dislike a club so much, don't sail events there. Personal vendetta against clubs by public letter is not a classy move, even though it seems to be the SA way.
Bullshit! A public letter is the best platform to present one's version of events in the face of potentially damaging misinformation and innuendo propagated into the public domain.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Let's just say I was at the final IACC event in history at La Maddalena just up the road from YCCS, an event that had more to do with Vincenzo doing a political favor for Berlusconi than anything about yachting.  That event is when the relationship went off the rails, and there is unfortunately nothing more I can say about that - unless we run into each other at a boat show or something.

And thanks for the compliment.  I try.
I get the jist and thank you.  As for if we run into each other, the list of things I would ask you, it would be a long list.  You probably don't want to run into me. 

WetHog   :ph34r:

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
THutch is going to be good leading this team if the initial interviews are any indication, he has been good as a part of the Quantum TP52 team.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
THutch is going to be good leading this team if the initial interviews are any indication, he has been good as a part of the Quantum TP52 team.
Agree. I like his comments on bringing in the younger home-grown sailors into their AC36 campaign to build for the future.

Of the four competitors so far, none of them will have any problems complying with what is effectively the 100% (20% passport-qualified, 80% residence-qualufied) Nationality requirement which seems to have flown over most commenters' heads.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Agree, he displays wisdom in both of those interviews.

Especially in the video's response to the nat question, my reading of it is that the move towards using US sailors will be emphasized more in a possible subsequent campaign, than in the coming one. That may also help explain him forecasting the team being in NZ starting 12 months ahead of AC36 instead of starting sooner; presumably they will have significant presence in the US before that, perhaps residing and training out of Newport and/or Charleston and/or Florida depending the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

laser 173312

Anarchist
South Wales
Agree. I like his comments on bringing in the younger home-grown sailors into their AC36 campaign to build for the future.

Of the four competitors so far, none of them will have any problems complying with what is effectively the 100% (20% passport-qualified, 80% residence-qualufied) Nationality requirement which seems to have flown over most commenters' heads.
Well said on both points, that man.

It does seem that the AC has lost/skipped a generation with Alinghi/CNEV and AC35 coverage debacles. All the potential competitors seem to be intent on not losing another and want to promote sailing, rather than the sad money making actions of Oracle.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Well said on both points, that man.

It does seem that the AC has lost/skipped a generation with Alinghi/CNEV and AC35 coverage debacles. All the potential competitors seem to be intent on not losing another and want to promote sailing, rather than the sad money making actions of Oracle.

I particularly like 6.2.d) eligibility requirement for YC's:

"6.2.d): it must operate as a yacht club and have objectives consistent with the furtherance of yachting activities..."

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Let's just say I was at the final IACC event in history at La Maddalena just up the road from YCCS, an event that had more to do with Vincenzo doing a political favor for Berlusconi than anything about yachting.  That event is when the relationship went off the rails, and there is unfortunately nothing more I can say about that - unless we run into each other at a boat show or something.

And thanks for the compliment.  I try.
I hate to be fussy, but wasn't the Dubai event the last IACC regatta? 

Team_GBR

Super Anarchist
The Medal Race
I predicted foiling cats in the AC way before it happened but I never thought I'd live to see the New York Yacht Club back in the game-wow!
Why? Were you expecting OR to hol;d the cup forever, or at least for your lifetime? NYYC couldn't get back in the game while GGYC was the defender, but once they lost, I had expected NYYC would have been the first club in the USA that anybody would have wanted to challenge through. Add to that the wealth of its membership and I think it would have been a surprise of there had not been a challenge through NYYC.

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
Why? Were you expecting OR to hol;d the cup forever, or at least for your lifetime? NYYC couldn't get back in the game while GGYC was the defender, but once they lost, I had expected NYYC would have been the first club in the USA that anybody would have wanted to challenge through. Add to that the wealth of its membership and I think it would have been a surprise of there had not been a challenge through NYYC.
I don't think it was that predictable .. NYYC did not challenge when Alinghi held the cup.

rgeek

Super Anarchist
THutch? There are pints on this...

Is that like:

th'hutch
tee-hutch
touch (with a silent h)

rgeek

Super Anarchist
I don't think it was that predictable .. NYYC did not challenge when Alinghi held the cup.
Don't think there's much reason to disbelieve TE when he suggests NYYC just wanted to take a step back and reconsider their approach after 2003 (Alinghi's first defence).

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
at http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/10/09/terry-hutchinson-waving-usa-flag/

Terry Hutchinson: Waving the USA Flag

Published on October 9th, 2017 

Terry Hutchinson has accrued a track record of being a winner. He gets involved in big-time keelboat racing programs and makes them better. It is now through his work as tactician for Hap Fauth’s Maxi72 Bella Mente and Doug DeVos’s TP52 Quantum Racing that has brought these two successful owners together, alongside New York Yacht Cup, to challenge for the 36th America’s Cup. Here Terry discusses this new campaign.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Don't think there's much reason to disbelieve TE when he suggests NYYC just wanted to take a step back and reconsider their approach after 2003 (Alinghi's first defence).
The club had spent a ton of dough on the AC since '83 and had not seen much out of it. 4 slow boats in '87, one sunk boat in 2000, and a second sunk non-competitive boat in 2003. THutch was involved in '03 also, something I did not know before looking it up.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Looking over old threads about the Court Crap I ran into this post in a thread about Casper leaving ETNZ after AC32 (also some good insults directed at me in that thread):

Posted September 26, 2007

It has long been rumored that his boss this week has been planning on doing an AC campaign with the Quantum logo behind it. Maybe this is the start of that relationship. Plus DVD has a boat that is similar in size to these boats that they can use as a test platform.

That and with all the other AC owners jumping into the Med Cup for season, DVD is already there. Makes some sense. just have to figure out who the driver would.

- Altered Egos

So Devos and the Green Donut have been rumored to be going for the AC 10 years ago.   Hopefully that will translate into a competitive campaign right out of the box.

WetHog   :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator: