Team NYYC

NZL3481

NZL3481
Deliberate cheating is slightly different than an innovative design that may or may not be compliant though.

The bowsprit nonsense for TNZ back in the day comes to mind, they ahd been using it all regatta, no one protested until it was too late to change / train for the new setup, losing that protest pretty much put them out of the regatta even though they had used it many times already in the same series.
It's the team that has an obligation to ensue the boat sits within the rule. That would include getting interpretations from the measurers as to whether something is 'in' or not. If one thing that ETNZ are very good at is reflecting on past issues and learning from/dealing with them. Other teams you would expect are equally as prudent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Deliberate cheating is slightly different than an innovative design that may or may not be compliant though.

The bowsprit nonsense for TNZ back in the day comes to mind, they ahd been using it all regatta, no one protested until it was too late to change / train for the new setup, losing that protest pretty much put them out of the regatta even though they had used it many times already in the same series.
Absolutely!! ETNZ have come a long way and have learned lessons the hard way - the most recent painful one being the failure to protest within the permitted time-frame the cheating actuator set-up in AC34. I imagine they now have a dedicated staff member(s) whose sole responsibility is to check on any MC decisions and flag it up to their techos.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
I'd be thinking they'd get measured a few weeks before they get sent to the Med to give themselves some time to fix up what the measurer may not be happy with, re-measure and ship...
Standard practice has been to certify the boats for CR compliance 24 hours before racing to account for any mods teams implement. That was how they found and reported the ORACLE king post lead poisoning.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Hmmm  ...  ^  Exerpt from yore ordishin for Fox & Frends, S?
hello-stranger.jpg

barfy

Super Anarchist
Wasn’t t there a recent poster on this site that promised some sort of bizarre sexual act if AM pulled off a foiling jybe ? This wasn’t the first and only one apparently . 
Tack I think

Edit: a few posts crossed there. But everyone is looking forward to the tack

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone except salty sea cock... pucker up ;-) 
Perhaps I know something others do not!

There was no talk of a sexual act! A battery powered smile generator may well be the TV remote, cell phone or tooth brush. Only the impure of mind would go straight to the gutter and believe for a moment that I'm intending to gob off the rabbit. It is however exactly what I intend to do if American Magic are the first to pull off a convincing foiling tack. No belly down straight after or jelly wobbly sloppy boat handling but a proper tack.

They wont be. There's a simple reason why.

It is very, very difficult to do with these boats. And the first foiling tack may be months away and may only be possible with quite large and slow foils in 20 knot winds. A combination that makes no sense.

Remember this for later. Or, when it's time for me to gobble a rubber prick. 

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
given both mule and T5 both posted foiling tacks very quickly and AM is the first out and already gybing it’s best you give the bunny a bit of a wipe first eh? 

Seeking sanctuary in saying it’s a very very difficult manoeuvre... that’s hope talking rather than reality ;-)