Team NYYC

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
It seems to me that Orifice won in AC34 because they had such a massive advantage by challenging using a multi hull with wing in AC33 and even then, they didn't win by much.

However, roll around AC35 they were thoroughly out thought by ETNZ and it would appear by Artemis also.

So yeah, it seemed that post AC33 that Orifice were on a constant downward trajectory through lack of innovation that only ended up costing them the cup in AC35, but almost cost them it in AC34.

If Lazza decided to take the same team into a challenge in AC36, unless some major change of culture took place, I don't think they would have a reasonable chance at winning the cup.
Team New Zealand suffered the same fate back in the beginning of this millennium.  Losing to Alinghi can be blamed on the Tight Five but in actuality TNZ's boats were shit.  It stands to reason Oracle or One World would of beaten TNZ if they made the Cup final instead of Alinghi.

No matter what sport it is its hard to stay at the top, at the championship level.  Competitors are constantly looking for ways to beat you but, most importantly, its very hard to keep teams motivated and on their toes year after year or AC cycle after AC cycle.  Especially when top talent is constantly pouched by people with deep pockets.  

WetHog   :ph34r:

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Interesting, but considering The Green Donuts regular professional helmsmen, Bora Gulari, recently lost 3 fingers in a sailing accident we probably shouldn't read to much into DB being named helmsman of The Green Donut's TP52 at this point.

WetHog  :ph34r:   

Last edited by a moderator:

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Interesting, but considering The Green Donuts regular professional helmsmen, Bora Gulari, recently lost 3 fingers in a sailing accident we probably shouldn't read to much into DB being named helmsman of The Green Donut's TP52 at this point.

Nothing against Bora, he is a top talent, but he did not seem to gel with the team in the few events he drove. Maybe more time would have corrected that, there were race wins and relative good race bright spots, but something seemed off. We'll have to see how this develops, maybe with the Olympic campaign something was planned ahead of time anyway.

No matter what I hope he heals well and can get back on the water soon.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Team New Zealand suffered the same fate back in the beginning of this millennium.  Losing to Alinghi can be blamed on the Tight Five but in actuality TNZ's boats were shit.  It stands to reason Oracle or One World would of beaten TNZ if they made the Cup final instead of Alinghi.

No matter what sport it is its hard to stay at the top, at the championship level.  Competitors are constantly looking for ways to beat you but, most importantly, its very hard to keep teams motivated and on their toes year after year or AC cycle after AC cycle.  Especially when top talent is constantly pouched by people with deep pockets.  

Hoggie! Their boats were shit because the tight five fucked off.

If they hadn't, they most likely wouldn't have lost the cup and certainly Ernie wouldn't have won it. You need to realise that up until '03, ETNZ boats all had HUGE input from the sailing team (i.e. the tight five).

So implying that their shitty boats had nothing to do with losing the tight five is like trying to say that Tiger Wood's decline has nothing to do with his age.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Nothing against Bora, he is a top talent, but he did not seem to gel with the team in the few events he drove. Maybe more time would have corrected that, there were race wins and relative good race bright spots, but something seemed off. We'll have to see how this develops, maybe with the Olympic campaign something was planned ahead of time anyway.

No matter what I hope he heals well and can get back on the water soon.
You would know better than me in regards to TP52 goings on.  Ultimately, I hope The Green Donuts Challenge, or any US challenge for AC36, has an American at the wheel.  The only twang on a US boat should be from the Southern US not the Southern Hemisphere, IMO.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
You would know better than me in regards to TP52 goings on.  Ultimately, I hope The Green Donuts Challenge, or any US challenge for AC36, has an American at the wheel.  The only twang on a US boat should be from the Southern US not the Southern Hemisphere, IMO.

I think some "bloody foreigners" is ok Hoggie - after all we have Ashby.

But Orifice, Artemis and Japan were just ridiculous.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
New York Yacht Club Regattas

The NYYC and Bella Mente Quantum Racing are very excited to announce an exclusive agreement with Botin Partners - Naval Architecture to be our yacht designer for the 36th America's Cup. Few firms, if any, have had more recent success with large monohull designs. Details on the Club website (nyyc.org) or click the link in the comments.
Follow-on link

https://nyyc.org/news/2222-botin-partners-signed-ac

From there:

"One important factor is proximity," said Botin. "The boats need to have similar speeds and be capable of engaging in typical match-race maneuvers. A fast boat is desirable, but it should also be reactive at lower speeds. We would like to see upwind starts with all the pre-start strategy that goes with it. A light displacement monohull would be the perfect platform for these situations."

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
^^ It will be back to a decades old concept, why don't they chose the TP52 ? :)

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Hoggie! Their boats were shit because the tight five fucked off.

If they hadn't, they most likely wouldn't have lost the cup and certainly Ernie wouldn't have won it. You need to realise that up until '03, ETNZ boats all had HUGE input from the sailing team (i.e. the tight five).

So implying that their shitty boats had nothing to do with losing the tight five is like trying to say that Tiger Wood's decline has nothing to do with his age.
I implied that TNZ would of lost AC31 regardless of who they met in the Cup final because their boats were shit.

Also, Tiger's decline had nothing to do with his age.  It had to do with Tiger's obsession with US special forces after the death of his father:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
I think some "bloody foreigners" is ok Hoggie
Some out of towners is ok,  but after the debacle that was Oracle Team USA, with one American on the team and defending in Bermuda, the face of any US challenger moving forward needs to be an American face, IMO.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Some out of towners is ok,  but after the debacle that was Oracle Team USA, with one American on the team and defending in Bermuda, the face of any US challenger moving forward needs to be an American face, IMO.

Me, I wish the principal designer were American instead of Spanish. But since the Prot got that part wrong.. It’s likely a great move.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
"  A light displacement monohull would be the perfect platform for these situations "

As expected, no mention of foils. You'll be lucky to get a canting keel. Meh

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
An older DB quote, from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11935010

"I have always remained loyal to Team New Zealand. I could have gone a number of other times, to go and work for other teams. I had an approach from Alinghi, Luna Rossa, but for me it's never been about working for another team. It's not about the money. It's about bringing the America's Cup back to New Zealand."
And that is why I respect the man, despite thinking that his time was up after 2013.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
And that is why I respect the man, despite thinking that his time was up after 2013.
I forgot him mentioning having been recruited by Alinghi and LR in the past. Those would have been premier positions too. 

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Also, Tiger's decline had nothing to do with his age.  It had to do with Tiger's obsession with US special forces after the death of his father:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

Actually, Tiger's decline had more to do with the depth in young talent making it onto the PGA Tour, meaning he was no longer competing against the aging Duvals, Micklesons (to whose credit he's still competitive!!), Singhs, Prices etc. but lining up against fearless youngsters who hit the ball as long and longer than him. His pursuit of length off the tee has led to his problems with his knee, back, etc as he became a gym monkey trying to keep up with the kids.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Actually, Tiger's decline had more to do with the depth in young talent making it onto the PGA Tour, meaning he was no longer competing against the aging Duvals, Micklesons (to whose credit he's still competitive!!), Singhs, Prices etc. but lining up against fearless youngsters who hit the ball as long and longer than him. His pursuit of length off the tee has led to his problems with his knee, back, etc as he became a gym monkey trying to keep up with the kids.
Actually read the story I linked.  His body has broken down because he started running 10+ miles in combat boots and getting the shit kicked out of him while taking survival training from a guy who trains Navy Seals because he wanted to be close to his dead father.  Not because he fears young PGA players out driving him.  He stopped giving a shit about golf when his father died, 10 years ago.