Team NYYC

I14RACER

Maryland, US
Photo posted by the American Magic team. The photo implies the bottom isn’t as round as it has appeared before. Almost like it’s got a V shape. Weird, may just be a optics issue.

652ADB27-1BAE-461D-9181-B8A6A45E7559.jpeg

mattdarnell

Had ETNZ decided to use the AC50-Ver02 for AC36, the Challengers would have been so far behind ETNZ that ETNZ could have run AC36 in 2019 and they would have  walked through the Challenger. Even the Petulant50 control systems are still way behind ETNZ's from AC35.
I think the closest comparison is 1983 -> 1987.  The Aussies, Bond's syndicate, were way ahead of everyone in wing keel technology and they were caught and substantially passed by the Kooks and at least 5-6 challengers.

I don't think what the Kiwi's used (boards, cyclors, flying systems) would have been that hard to duplicate and move forward from.  Their only chance would have been a two year cycle and limit everyone to one new boat.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I reckon even the Petulant50s they're racing now have not had the hydraulic systems re-designed or upgraded - I think they've just replaced grinders with dc motors to drive the existing pumps through the same plumbing and control valves. They still appear to run out of fluid power at critical times and come crashing down. They've copied the Artemis mainsail-mounted display, so I'm guessing they've probably also copied their control system which was the best of the rest in AC35.
It really was an impressive design by the Italians. 

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
There is, it runs just under the foil arm bulge right to the stern.

You can see the port corner just below the shore line in that pic and there are ripple reflection discontinuities on the starboard side aft of the foil arm which show where it runs.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay

You can see the port corner just below the shore line in that pic and there are ripple reflection discontinuities on the starboard side aft of the foil arm which show where it runs.
Yeah I can see the out board chines, but as I said in my post there doesn't appear to be a centre line chine.

RobG

Super Anarchist

If there's no yellow line, it doesn't exist…