Team NYYC

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Casper as CEO?  I know where I am hitching my wagon now for AC36.  Have to root for my fellow resident of Southern AA County. 

One question I have is the relationship between the Casper/Devos side of the team and NYYC?  Will the Blue Blazers of NYYC let Casper do his thing or will they feel the need to micromanage the team that is representing the storied NYYC?

Also, will the pressed be streamed?

WetHog   :ph34r:

buckdouger

Anarchist
I have confirmed that the announcement will be at 1200 ET tomorrow and it will be at NYYC.  I am not sure whether that means NY or RI.  No news on whether there is a news conference, which means there probably won't be.  Probably just a release and a photo.
Clean, any whispers from ETNZ or dalts regarding this team and having a stake in the wing / sail package as Stingray alluded to? ETNZ seems pretty close to Southern Spars et al. 

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Clean, any whispers from ETNZ or dalts regarding this team and having a stake in the wing / sail package as Stingray alluded to? ETNZ seems pretty close to Southern Spars et al. 
Southern Spars is a wholly owned subsidiary of North Technology Group, which is a much bigger fish than ETNZ!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Maybe, maybe not. But let me put it another way, is the link relevant to the story?
Relevant because many of the sailors and non-sailors who read this site, especially the 50% of them that are overseas, don't know who the fuck the Devos family is, and the single thing the Devos family is known for over the past year is that Betsy was I think the only cabinet member that needed the VP to break the tie.  Part of the story ran ad nauseum on the news outlets was about how her family had donated so much to trump and the party and the suggested quid pro quo.  Context is important.  

Besides, no republican is such a snowflake that a neutral identifying link about Trump would get 'em all red, right?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
They have no Design Team. The AC has changed quite a bit since Hutchinson sailed in an AC Boat.
Hutch is CEO.

The team is not there to make up numbers, or to make a nationalistic endeavor.  They are there to win.  I have my doubts because of the personalities involved and the amount of control required...billionaires and yacht clubs are not easy when it comes to letting go!  I bet the lawyers bill 200k to negotiate the syndicate/yc contract.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
^ Heavy, heavy sailing-passionate money for sure.

Casper better have a thick skin, this campaign could be a wild ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

buckdouger

Anarchist
Southern Spars is a wholly owned subsidiary of North Technology Group, which is a much bigger fish than ETNZ!
Sorry, unless I misunderstand your post, I should have been clearer. I was wondering if you get the impression from Dalts or elsewhere that North and it's subsidiaries might get a sole - sourced contract for the wing/sail combo as a one-design part, or whether there is a carveout to entice this Quantum team to challenge, or finally whether that part of the boat would likely remain box - rule controlled only

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Just like old times with the NYYC back. Perhaps they could hire Dennis Connor in some capacity to upset the Kiwi faithfuls.  :rolleyes:

buckdouger

Anarchist
^ Heavy, heavy sailing-passionate money for sure.

Casper better have a thick skin, this campaign could be a wild ride.
If NYYC is likely to add so much added bureaucracy, why challenge through it at all? Is the prestige enough? Is there any other reason?

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
I am no fan of Dirty Dennis, but given that he seems to have decayed mentally I feel more sorry for him than upset by him.
I feel sorry as much for how some people pine for 30 and 40 yr old history instead of looking to the future.

Sadly for some, age and progression matters; DC still displays some wisdom but he's NOT going to be helming a boat off Fremantle any time soon.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
If NYYC is likely to add so much added bureaucracy, why challenge through it at all? Is the prestige enough? Is there any other reason?
Was just worried about how well he can cater to some obviously strong-minded authorities over that campaign. The RC relationship with LE actually worked quite well, it does matter.

quezal

chicago
I have confirmed that the announcement will be at 1200 ET tomorrow and it will be at NYYC.  I am not sure whether that means NY or RI.  No news on whether there is a news conference, which means there probably won't be.  Probably just a release and a photo.
You won't get an invite anyhow 

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Just like old times with the NYYC back. Perhaps they could hire Dennis Connor in some capacity to upset the Kiwi faithfuls.  :rolleyes:
We saw off Dennis the menace and we've just seen off Spithill. we're veterans at seeing off the "enemies". But I'm over the moon that NYYC will challenge again - and I'd say it's a thunderous smack in Larry Ellison's chops to have NYYC challenge after fuming on the sidelines as Ellison's shenanigans...

AC36....Back To The Future!

richiec

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Agreed Indio. I reckon this will be a massive shot in the arm for the event and having the holders/custodians of the cup for over a century back, will SURELY motivate other challengers. Those guys were arch enemy number ONE - for a long time for several AUS challenges up to and including 83. Their antics were legend and they will sure bring a massive injection of rich history back to the event. The chance for an Aussie challenger to joust with the NYYC again will hopefully prove irresistible. We can live in hope! 

I feel sorry as much for how some people pine for 30 and 40 yr old history instead of looking to the future.

Sadly for some, age and progression matters; DC still displays some wisdom but he's NOT going to be helming a boat off Fremantle any time soon.
Dont be so sure. The recent generation of hot young guns on the match racing circuit have been foiling or sailing fast multis. For experience and tactics on slow hybrid (at least some soft sails) monohulls, don't be surprised to see some older guys recruited by the teams. 

Sailing those monoliths will require patience, wisdom, experience. Brad butter-worth might be called back into section.