Team NYYC

Yes, exactly. I don't know what day this was, but I sailed for years up the island out of Portsmouth. The water looks like the wind is quite light, less that 10 Kts.

They seem to be doing just fine. This should be a very competitive and interesting Cup. I cannot wait for the first AC75 to hit the water and some fleet races this time next year!!
This is an interesting video. They are up on foils in less than 10 knots in fewer than 10 days on the water. Something has gone right. 

I'm interested now in their partnership with Airbus. From the press release, Airbus will be providing "simulation capabilities development, systems architecture design and testing, hydrodynamic calculation and optimization, boat control and instrumentation." (emphasis mine)

So now this team has proven that they have a design team that can get a boat into the water that works right off the bat, they have in Airbus one of the premier builders of simulators and arguably the premier designer of flight control systems, they have in Penske an organization devoted to speed, and they have a sailing team that knows how to win. Not a bad way to start. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
(squinting) Are they foiling on only the port-side main foil in that clip?

Last edited by a moderator:

nav

Super Anarchist
Well done that team ...... further 'proof of concept'  :)

And you clearly don't need dihedral, maybe not even flaps!?

Were they towed up?

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
This is an interesting video. They are up on foils in less than 10 knots in fewer than 10 days on the water. Something has gone right. 

I'm interested now in their partnership with Airbus. From the press release, Airbus will be providing "simulation capabilities development, systems architecture design and testing, hydrodynamic calculation and optimization, boat control and instrumentation." (emphasis mine)

So now this team has proven that they have a design team that can get a boat into the water that works right off the bat, they have in Airbus one of the premier builders of simulators and arguably the premier designer of flight control systems, they have in Penske an organization devoted to speed, and they have a sailing team that knows how to win. Not a bad way to start. 
https://www.sailgp.com/news/simulating-success

So under the AC36 rules, can AC teams use simulators like the Artemis Tech one for crew training to get virtual in-water time?  They cannot tank test hulls but I cannot recall what other prohibitions...? 

nav

Super Anarchist

Don't forget Airbus was involved in the last AC too - with at least one of the unsuccessful teams.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
It looks like Airbus always refuses the opportunity to work with au European team, perhaps they should if they want to have more chance to win.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
https://www.sailgp.com/news/simulating-success

So under the AC36 rules, can AC teams use simulators like the Artemis Tech one for crew training to get virtual in-water time?  They cannot tank test hulls but I cannot recall what other prohibitions...? 
Yup see my post in other thread ;-)

Simulator was key to ETNZs success and it's a key component in AC36 prot.

Don't forget Airbus was involved in the last AC too - with at least one of the unsuccessful teams.
Which is not dispositive necessarily because we don't know how their involvement might be different this time, not yet anyways. We also don't know what they may have learned from last time. What we do know is that the ENTZ 'flight control' system was a key competitive advantage in Bermuda, and we we know that Airbus' capabilities in aeronautical flight control are unsurpassed. From there, it's a matter of drawing conclusions or making assumptions. Or both. Or just conjecturing. 

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Which is not dispositive necessarily because we don't know how their involvement might be different this time, not yet anyways. We also don't know what they may have learned from last time. What we do know is that the ENTZ 'flight control' system was a key competitive advantage in Bermuda, and we we know that Airbus' capabilities in aeronautical flight control are unsurpassed. From there, it's a matter of drawing conclusions or making assumptions. Or both. Or just conjecturing. 
I think we simply conflating the words 'flight control' now... 

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
And you clearly don't need dihedral, maybe not even flaps!?
Dihedral on these foils is the equivalent of an acute V on the early cats.  Makes them easier to sail but is almost certainly slower.

Disclaimers.

1. I haven't read the rule so there may be a small Australia II keel style advantage of dihedral letting you build slightly bigger foils.

2. Some dihedral may let you decouple lift and lateral resistance thus asking less of any given foil thus increasing speed before cavitation becomes an issue.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
???? They are on port tack - have a look at the start of the clip when the boat is not foiling and is heeling to starboard. 
Indeed, the later part of the video its hard to tell if its on port or starboard but the start can surely only be on port & there's no tack.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Indeed she does.  So how fast do you estimate? (Anybody know what the bird was and how fast they fly?)
I love the earlier MP references.  The birds that fly past look quite large and are dark in color.  I would guess they are crows (which are common on the coast of RI) and the literature states that they typically have a cruising speed in the 25 - 32 mph range.

Latest posts