Team NYYC

If they haven’t destroyed the mold for Patriot they could rebuild the port bow section and fly it out to NZ 
It would not be hard to fill the hole up paste a load of car bog over the cracks and fair it out. You could then take a flash molding off the hull to make a new section from. I fear its the systems that will take the real time. The hull only needs to be strong enough to deal with normal loads and keep the water out. If you can replace  the systems and make them reliable. You can make it look pretty after next weekend.   

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
It would not be hard to fill the hole up paste a load of car bog over the cracks and fair it out. You could then take a flash molding off the hull to make a new section from. I fear its the systems that will take the real time. The hull only needs to be strong enough to deal with normal loads and keep the water out. If you can replace  the systems and make them reliable. You can make it look pretty after next weekend.   
It's not the hull that takes the bulk of the loads, it's the internal framing. If they are damaged as well, it may be game over. :(

ianz

New Zealand
The hull only needs to be strong enough to deal with normal loads and keep the water out
Well... and hold the fcs in place. Not trivial. This isn't like filling a hole, it's likely a crucial structural join point.

Putting a plaster over it and sending the boys out again on Friday won't exactly inspire confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
True but in the end the wheel is turned by who.    The skipper
The skipper is TH, DB is the helmsmen.  I think they need to free up Goddison to do a role like Giles.  I am beginning to see that INEOS has played a blinder with their crew set up. The after guard is more important than any other AC race in history.  You get into even the slightest wrong part of the course the opposition can make 500 m.  I was also wondering why they removed a hatch when it was on its side after the capsize...Did that cause the water ingress? Or is it hull damage?  Ah just seen a fridge shaped hole. eddited

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
They'll have to rebuild nearly the entire hull.

You can't do that in 4 days.
I guess they have until the Prada semis which is 11 days, but it looks like a HUGE job. I think it might be curtains for AM, which is a real shame for the event.

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
It is sad because in those conditions she was 2-5 knots faster. 48 knots at one point.
Yes, no problem with speed, AM is a fast boat. I hope they can repair it in time for the semis. Otherwise there'll be no racing until a INEOS v LR Prada final. It's a shame because today's racing was some of the most exciting since one or two of the San Fransisco final races in 2013.

ct800

--
Sheared carbon seen immediately as the boat leans to its side in slo-mo. Pic from daily higlights video.
Sorry for them. They will bounce back.

am2.png

Latest posts