Team NYYC

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Not much is lost if AM if they pull out of the cup. They where in the “thanks for also showing up and give the big boys someone to race against” category. Making up the numbers really
Very cute the noobs turning up when there 's someone to be ridiculed. Fuck off, noob, and don't show us anything anymore.

Marinatrix447

Anarchist
United Kingdom
*Not much is lost if AM if they pull out of the cup*

No one in the true sailing community wants to see AM drop out, which is why everyone down there will help them to dig themselves out of this set-back, best they can.

“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all. In which case, you fail by default…”

[Fingers crossed we see the Yanks back out on the water]

It’s a lesser field without them.

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
This is a bit more than some bog and paint.
They have some of the best engineers and maint people in the business.  I dont count them out for 3 days either. They wont be working 9 to 5 it will be night and day so you could say that have 6 working days to fix this or 22 if they go the other final playoff route. 

Last edited by a moderator:

TPG

Super Anarchist
They have some of the best engineers and maint people in the business.  I dont count them out for 3 days either. They wont be working 9 to 5 it will be night and day so you could say that have 6 working days to fix this or 22 if they go the other final playoff route. 
Again, you seem to think they're just going to fix the hull and be on their way. It sunk. It was full of water, everything has to be pulled apart, inspected and possibly replaced.

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
*Not much is lost if AM if they pull out of the cup*

No one in the true sailing community wants to see AM drop out, which is why everyone down there will help them to dig themselves out of this set-back, best they can.

“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all. In which case, you fail by default…”

[Fingers crossed we see the Yanks back out on the water]

It’s a lesser field without them.
^ ++ Ran out of likes for the day. Quite agree, will be sad if AM are out after this.

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
Again, you seem to think they're just going to fix the hull and be on their way. It sunk. It was full of water, everything has to be pulled apart, inspected and possibly replaced.
I know that and have said it in another post about the other things to fix. They are not in a bulk standard boat yard.

XPRO

On The Water
I know that and have said it in another post about the other things to fix. They are not in a bulk standard boat yard.
I think most people are overlooking this, if they stripped parts off of Defiant to build Patriot, and now need to replace all the electronics alone, that will be a big task.  

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
This is just horrible.  This is a well run/organized effort.  Not some kind of "shoe string" Stars and Stripes bullshit deal showing up at the last minute using someone'd discarded development rig.

My only comment is this.  With a high speed platform of this nature that requires second by second decision making and decision changes the tactician has absolutely NO  BUSINESS being put in a heads down position on a grinding pedestal or anything else.  WTF people....

I hope they can get her back together.

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
I think most people are overlooking this, if they stripped parts off of Defiant to build Patriot, and now need to replace all the electronics alone, that will be a big task.  
You are correct. Do they have the spares? You would have thought so but if you have to use Amazon then that may be an issue.

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
The hole, I am told, was caused by the FCS battery dislodging and flying through the hull on splash down. 

My take on the communications: Terry might have liked the left hand side, but if the main trimmer doesn't think they can cope with the power, then you follow his advice (he is after all, a 3 time moth world champion) Dean needs to listen to his crew, they are very good. Ultimately, they had a commanding lead and didn't need to take risks. Could it have worked if the backstay had eased? Maybe, but it was never worth the risk in the context of the racing scenario.  

I really hope they can recover, because they have a good boat and the team rolls / decision making problems are easy to fix. 

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Putting him back on the boat is not a bad idea we need a dedicated technician on ETNZ. Just tell the grinders they have to work harder
I really like the grinder set up on INEOS.  They are able to actually see whats going on with the boat.  Well at least half of them are depending on what tack/gibe they are on and the leeward side grinders can at least see half of whats happening.  Same as the "bikers" could on the ETNZ cat in the last version.  These boats require everyone on board to be able to keep their heads up.  Can you imagine sailing a foiling moth around a course having to look down all the time?

The hole, I am told, was caused by the FCS battery dislodging and flying through the hull on splash down. 
THIS would make a lot of sense.

The shape and location of the hole in the hull would be in agreement with such an explanation...

Such a deceleration for 30-50kg heavy battery could certainly cause quite a bit of damage...

Now the question is who designed the fixing for the battery...?

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
THIS would make a lot of sense.

The shape and location of the hole in the hull would be in agreement with such an explanation...

Such a deceleration for 30-50kg heavy battery could certainly cause quite a bit of damage...

Now the question is who designed the fixing for the battery...?
Dean Barker. Not really he is being unfairly slagged when the issue is more to do with how the after guard is set up.

Well... and hold the fcs in place. Not trivial. This isn't like filling a hole, it's likely a crucial structural join point.

Putting a plaster over it and sending the boys out again on Friday won't exactly inspire confidence.
Sorry but I was refering to cosmetics not structure. You make a quick mold from what you have, make a replacment pannel . Cut out the damaged area and graft in the new pannel. Possible in four days. The sysems and stress testing should take min two weeks and thats the challange. 

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
I feel a bit like when Vestas hit the reef. Helpless, disbelieving and sometimes still in denial.

Poor chaps on AM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts