Team NYYC

XPRO

On The Water
Chatting with some of the boys, we are thinking through this, all those planning , design, management, shipping logistics and sailing hours for what , three years.  If you do a linear timeline they all stop at the point that the runner failed or someone did not do their job of release as they were looking down course. Also interesting is that they did a tack/bear-away with the main trimmer and helm on the low side...  

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
I think most people are overlooking this, if they stripped parts off of Defiant to build Patriot, and now need to replace all the electronics alone, that will be a big task.  
I cant see AM having only bought one of each part. Cabling wont be an issue as they will have drums of it.

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
Sorry but I was refering to cosmetics not structure. You make a quick mold from what you have, make a replacment pannel . Cut out the damaged area and graft in the new pannel. Possible in four days. The sysems and stress testing should take min two weeks and thats the challange. 
My guess is that the stress testing will be done on the run,

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
You are correct. Do they have the spares? You would have thought so but if you have to use Amazon then that may be an issue.
We know none of the teams have the personnel to run a 2 boat program.  I'd imagine due to budgets they don't have a 2nd fully loaded boat just sitting on a cradle.  However, I'd like to think the electronic systems are encapsulated to protect them from possible salt water ingress.  I know the old Sail Comp systems were sealed.  I was on a fully submerged J29, (Hurricane Hugo) and the sail comp displays were functioning with an alarm ringing.  Then we did something stupid and unplugged the displays while they were still under water and the water went right in...    

Murphness

Super Anarchist
Boston
Gutted for the team. Not gutted for Dean Barker. Why is this guy at the helm again? So much talent out there and they're paying Deano some crazy amount of money to sink the boat. Good riddance.

Whatever punched that hole did it at speed!
Got to wonder if the accumulator for the FCS also went pop, with the diagonal stripes and cracks spreading far out from the hole it looks more than just a battery exiting stage left.

My money is on whatever held the battery in place being the casualty of an exploding pressure vessel 

Last edited by a moderator:

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Looking at the whole rounding, it seems to me the tack was rushed, and DB decided to go straight into the bearaway before the boat was totally finished with the tack - hence the runner not being released...

Anyway, some interesting debriefs going on between DB, TH and Goodison I'm sure...

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
We know none of the teams have the personnel to run a 2 boat program.  I'd imagine due to budgets they don't have a 2nd fully loaded boat just sitting on a cradle.  However, I'd like to think the electronic systems are encapsulated to protect them from possible salt water ingress.  I know the old Sail Comp systems were sealed.  I was on a fully submerged J29, (Hurricane Hugo) and the sail comp displays were functioning with an alarm ringing.  Then we did something stupid and unplugged the displays while they were still under water and the water went right in...    
You would have thought that all the cables, switches and displays would be waterproofed in regards to port and stbd sides as they are most vulnerable. My guess is that the stuff in the hull would be most vulnerable.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Having the captain on grinder handles and not on the helm certainly looks bad now. Ultimately Dean had the helm but not the authority to go the other way around the right hand mark. Easy in hindsight I know...

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
Got to wonder if the accumulator for the FCS also went pop, with the diagonal stripes and cracks spreading far out from the hole it looks more than just a battery exiting stage left
I think those stripes are caused by the square piece separation as it left the hull. Sort of a peel hinge job before it broke.

hasmat

Toronto
Decent lead, one leg to go, squall coming, go high risk?

Make American Magic Great Again
That’s an illustration of a panic decision making process from Deano. He has no clarity of the situational awareness in these types of events. Do we now know what TH’s call was?(no comms)

E2nO

I am pretty sure it haven't been the batteries. If you look at the picture I believe you can still see the forward bracing strut of the cant mechanics looking through the hole.

Also if you look at the stern video you will notice that at 2:45:38 the right foil will significantly drop. I believe this is because the the forward bracing point took too much load through the massive deceleration of the boat,  Once that structure was gone, there is perhaps damage on all the fixing points for the cant system.

I would be massively surprised if this can be fixed until next weekend. I even doubt that this can be fixed at all. It will be some kind of "magic" if that boat will be on the course for the semi finals.

Perhaps there will be some very hard decisions for the team:

• try the seemingly impssible
  • spend time to get at least a boat for racing (-> using Defiant)
  • default right away.

I guess they will go with option one and then will left with having to draw the third option nevertheless.

Getting this boat back in time for the semi-finals is going to be a tough challenge.

• How badly is the structure damaged ?
  • How much systems have been lost?

They will be doing timelines and budgeting right now.  My guess is that they will have a structural assessment by early morning. If the structure can be repaired they will start right away .....even while the systems team start making an inventory of what they need.   Building an AC 75 in 10 days is a tough ask 

Even if they get it done, AM will emerge for the semi finals , most likely to race vs LR (altho that is not decided yet) with no time to tune the boat and 10 days without development for the sailing team.

AM have a daunting task and I hope they can come back again.

Latest posts