Team NYYC

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
This is kind of bullshit. Americans have won the cup more than you since you have been involved while not even giving a shit. That combined with the Kiwi's sublime ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and it may not be so long. You cocky, insecure fucks will lose it sooner than you think.
You are a tosser.! I've never won the cup you idiot I'm an individual. 

cbulger

Newport
This is kind of bullshit. Americans have won the cup more than you since you have been involved while not even giving a shit. That combined with the Kiwi's sublime ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and it may not be so long. You cocky, insecure fucks will lose it sooner than you think.
We win a lotta Cups, but can’t live in the past.  We won the last 2 cups by hiring kiwis and aussies to run our campaigns and drive our boats. And we won by outspending the competition and by running extra long series so we could copy kiwi technologies.  Afraid we need a bit more #8 wire attitude before we will be able to mount a proper American challenge.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Sadly for Americans who are passionate about the "Americas Cup" that America as a country are unlikely to ever win the Cup for a long time. They made it very hard for the challengers in so many ways for over 100 years until Australia came along and broke the stranglehold. And now we have one of the smallest countries in the world appear seemingly unbeatable. I wonder, we will see America challenge again after some would review as a disastrous campaign? And now I believe we may have Country of citizenship what does America have in it's wardrobe to be a threat once again?
No, you have a small country that is afraid of competing with others.  NZ had at least a year advantage on the design of a new boat that let them keep the cup for this cycle, but now they want to hold it hostage for two more cups..  NZ expects a billionaire to pay a ransom to sail in a fictitious "race" between them and the billionaire.  A race that means nothing because they then want the billionaire to pay for the next cup back in NZ.

Why is NZ afraid to sail against all competitors? Sadly, it is NZs days in the cup that are numbered.  After holding the cup hostage for their own ego and financial gain, they will never again be selected as a COR.  They may never be able to get a sponsor.  It is a shame that a proud sailing nation will leave a stain on the Americas Cup.

AS for the UK, do not be so naive as to believe that they will sail the next cup race in NZ based upon an unenforceable agreement.  UK will just hold the next cup in their own country and ignore the shame of an agreement.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
No, you have a small country that is afraid of competing with others.  NZ had at least a year advantage on the design of a new boat that let them keep the cup for this cycle, but now they want to hold it hostage for two more cups..  NZ expects a billionaire to pay a ransom to sail in a fictitious "race" between them and the billionaire.  A race that means nothing because they then want the billionaire to pay for the next cup back in NZ.

Why is NZ afraid to sail against all competitors? Sadly, it is NZs days in the cup that are numbered.  After holding the cup hostage for their own ego and financial gain, they will never again be selected as a COR.  They may never be able to get a sponsor.  It is a shame that a proud sailing nation will leave a stain on the Americas Cup.

AS for the UK, do not be so naive as to believe that they will sail the next cup race in NZ based upon an unenforceable agreement.  UK will just hold the next cup in their own country and ignore the shame of an agreement.
Ok, so I'm not sure if this is a troll or not since some of this is wrong and some is right. But here goes my view.

1. NZ didn't have 1 year's advantage - more like 6 months but less over Prada.

2. I'm not sure why it is a ransom or fictitious. We don't know if it will go ahead for sure as it is one of many options floated (I for one consider it more of a bargaining chip against the Government, but fuck knows). If anyone pays for it to be held in the UK, I don't understand how it could be considered ransom since it is a willing exchange of money for hosting rights which is what happens all the time.

3. I agree that NZ's days in the cup are numbered (shrug). However, I don't see their actions as being afraid, but rather trying to leverage (VERY HARD) their position as cup holder for cash.

4. So I'm not sure that ETNZ have EVERY been selected as the Challenger of Record, but yes I agree that they have not showered themselves in glory.

5. If ETNZ and INEOS reach an agreement to host the subsequent AC in Auckland, as porthos has pointed out it will be unenforceable but will surely be backed up with a contract that carries HEAVY financial penalties (think $100 Million PLUS) for non-performance.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland

Another anti NZ rant from the alchemist 

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist

Bold: This is the danger. Taking into account that most of the Defender/CoR relationships fall foul during their first Cup together, even huge fines in a side agreement may not help. 

Usually these contracts have loopholes and ambiguities, and need renegotiations when they should come into effect. Ready for some more litigation? 

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Sounds like NYYC Club will be back. That's great news...

https://fb.watch/4rFBw7IOkQ/
From that video, “it feels like the NYYC will come back”.  Still some wiggle room in that quote. 

I hope they come back for my sake.  I just dropped $30 on another AM hat and it will make it easier to absorb my wife’s wrath when she finds out.

WetHog   :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
From that video, “it feels like the NYYC will come back”.  Still some wiggle room in that quote. 

I hope they come back for my sake.  I just dropped $30 on another AM hat and it will make it easier to absorb my wife’s wrath when she finds out.

WetHog   :ph34r:
You're not thinking laterally Hoggie. If they quit, it becomes more collectible. 

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist
If 1 of the big 3 sponsors is already in, that's big. Money attracts more money and the first big fish is always the hardest to land. The rest feel more comfortable joining something that already looks like it's going to be successful.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
@jaysper Does that mean Stars and Stripes merch is the most valuable from this cycle??

If 1 of the big 3 sponsors is already in, that's big. Money attracts more money and the first big fish is always the hardest to land. The rest feel more comfortable joining something that already looks like it's going to be successful.
Yep - sounds like DeVos is in again (heard some positive feedback from crew members). Even if the other 2 bail then he should be able to gather some more cash - I wonder if just having a team again has gotten a lot of more of the NYYC members all excited and wanting to be part of the next one....

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Does that mean Stars and Stripes merch is the most valuable from this cycle??
Did they actually have merch? If so, absolutely!

And if you can find any merch from 1995 (?) Russian Challenge when they tried to build a timber IACC you are RICH!  :lol:

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
@jaysper Does that mean Stars and Stripes merch is the most valuable from this cycle??

Yep - sounds like DeVos is in again (heard some positive feedback from crew members). Even if the other 2 bail then he should be able to gather some more cash - I wonder if just having a team again has gotten a lot of more of the NYYC members all excited and wanting to be part of the next one....
Money will not really start rolling in until an event is announced that they can challenge for.

"If and when there is the next AC , would you like to contribute?" is way less compelling than

"Are you in for 'Bring Back the Cup 2024'  ?" 

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Stuck between a rock and a hard place, out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Cup seems to either have been in the hands of a billionaire who was a narcissistic person with sharp business scruples or probably decent people who start compromising in an endless scramble for cash for a good end but the means aren't good. 

Maybe JR isn't a narcissist. That world be good.

Latest posts