Team NYYC

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
I'd have thought the pressure could be applied without the pompous press release.
Really?  You sure have a bug up your arse for NYYC.

They have been all sorts of questions about AM, NYYC, sailors, etc....   It just announces that AM/NYYC are all ready to go along as ABNZ finds an acceptable venue.  It gives them an out since they have not put down any money.  It could also put some pressure on ABNZ to hold the race in New Zealand.

atwinda

Anarchist
Did I miss something, or are folks just speculating that they haven't formally entered?

Cause.. If I had to get in line to get an AC 40, I would get in that line ASAP. You can always hire more sailors, designers, etc.. but you can't get time back. Wasting time to play games is nonsensical.

It would not make sense for AM to employ 20+ designers and have them "already racing" as THutch put it, to not enter based on the location. So they already know the venue, or there is a short list of venues which aren't in the middle east AM is willing to accept.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
They haven't said they've formally entered, but I suppose "American Magic is pleased to confirm that it intends to compete in the 37th America’s Cup (AC37) and represent the New York Yacht Club (NYYC)" could mean they've filled the challenge and "The team and the Club eagerly await the announcement within the next few months of the venue and schedule for the 37th America’s Cup." doesn't mean anything.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
WRT to an AC40, aren't they the last challenger, loosely speaking?  Who else?  Malta? Ralph Lauren? They are unlikely to have  latercomer get ahead of them in line for an AC40.

atwinda

Anarchist
WRT to an AC40, aren't they the last challenger, loosely speaking?  Who else?  Malta? Ralph Lauren? They are unlikely to have  latercomer get ahead of them in line for an AC40.
I don't know if there are more challengers or not. Simply because the collective forum doesn't know about another potential team, doesn't mean a potential team doesn't exist. 

But wouldn't it suck if S+S suckered another club into entering and they got in front of AM for an AC40? S+S have proven they can at least make it that far, so the chance is there- why risk it?

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
I don't know if there are more challengers or not. Simply because the collective forum doesn't know about another potential team, doesn't mean a potential team doesn't exist. 

But wouldn't it suck if S+S suckered another club into entering and they got in front of AM for an AC40? S+S have proven they can at least make it that far, so the chance is there- why risk it?
Don't they owe GD money from the last time? No way he will sacrifice his wine cellar to let them in.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA

NYYC could then wait and buy the "S+S" AC40 for a discount lol.  Cash in hand...

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Cause.. If I had to get in line to get an AC 40, I would get in that line ASAP. You can always hire more sailors, designers, etc.. but you can't get time back. Wasting time to play games is nonsensical.
Maybe they have an LEQ12 plan in the works; and/or plans to upgrade the Mule?

While the AC40 looks great to me, some teams may be better-off up-developing 12's instead.

edit: is there a restriction on the number of 12's you can build?

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Did I miss something, or are folks just speculating that they haven't formally entered?

It would not make sense for AM to employ 20+ designers and have them "already racing" as THutch put it, to not enter based on the location. So they already know the venue, or there is a short list of venues which aren't in the middle east AM is willing to accept.
So you are assuming that they are not working on any design until they submit a formal entry?  That would be foolish, nothing is stopping them from working full speed on the design.  They are not wasting any time. 

Also, they AC 40’s are being made in a factory in China, not some specialty house in NZ.  It would be save to assume that all of the AC40’s will be delivered at pretty much the same time.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Really?  You sure have a bug up your arse for NYYC.

They have been all sorts of questions about AM, NYYC, sailors, etc....   It just announces that AM/NYYC are all ready to go along as ABNZ finds an acceptable venue.  It gives them an out since they have not put down any money.  It could also put some pressure on ABNZ to hold the race in New Zealand.
No I don’t. But assuming Chobdani is correct that they haven’t in fact entered, the presser is bizarre. When senior clubs communicate with each other by press release, something is fucked up. You’ve  said nothing that explains it.

So you are assuming that they are not working on any design until they submit a formal entry?  That would be foolish, nothing is stopping them from working full speed on the design.  They are not wasting any time. 

Also, they AC 40’s are being made in a factory in China, not some specialty house in NZ.  It would be save to assume that all of the AC40’s will be delivered at pretty much the same time.
AC40's will be delivered one every three weeks beginning later this year.  Speculation has TNZ w/ Qty 2, Ineos w/Qty 1, Alinghi w Qty/ 2, LR w Qty/ 2. That gives TNZ and Ineos several weeks/months advantage on the others

One hopes that teams that are getting 2 will only get one before the others get theirs
Unfortunately that is not how it is going to work.  It is based on when you enter and put your order in. So TNZ and Ineos will have a couple month lead on Foil testing on their AC40s before the other teams. 

American Magic should really be looking to build a test boat similar to TNZ's test boat which was what the AC40 was based off it.  Otherwise they are way behind in any foil testing.

johnstarks

USA
Unfortunately that is not how it is going to work.  It is based on when you enter and put your order in. So TNZ and Ineos will have a couple month lead on Foil testing on their AC40s before the other teams. 

American Magic should really be looking to build a test boat similar to TNZ's test boat which was what the AC40 was based off it.  Otherwise they are way behind in any foil testing.
They should be able to use their old 38ft test boat

atwinda

Anarchist
They should be able to use their old 38ft test boat
Where is that? Did it stay state-side, or shipped over to NZ? 

How about the other teams?
Last I remember, AM said all their gear was in NZ still...

Pretty sure I saw the LR boats back in ITA. There must have been some issues with the mini moon- we didn't see much of it, or it was too late in the cycle for it to be effective and they just focused on the full scale boats.

Ineos? Did they ship their junk home, or did they get turned into chips for recycled carbon bunks for the new boat already? Do they have a base?

Any word on which v1 boat Alinghi is after? I'd imagine LR b1 as that was at least close to their b2.

S+S still trying to get their hands on ETNZ v1?

Latest posts