Team NYYC

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Ineos? Did they ship their junk home, or did they get turned into chips for recycled carbon bunks for the new boat already? Do they have a base?
AFAIK the design team is now based at Brackley, base of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 operation, which is about as far from being a marine location as you can get in the UK. I understand the monstrous building in Portsmouth has been sublet to various tenants. So if/how they can do any testing in UK waters, I'm not sure, however I understand the boats are back in the UK somewhere. 

shebeen

Super Anarchist
AC40's will be delivered one every three weeks beginning later this year.  Speculation has TNZ w/ Qty 2, Ineos w/Qty 1, Alinghi w Qty/ 2, LR w Qty/ 2. That gives TNZ and Ineos several weeks/months advantage on the others
How useful is testing foils on an AC40 vs more simulation time on a virtual AC75? 

Also, can teams get data from AC40 testing, with the common surveillance plan?

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
How useful is testing foils on an AC40 vs more simulation time on a virtual AC75? 

I am away and so can't easily check the rules, but if my memory is correct they can test foils on an AC40 provided they fit within the AC40 rule. But if they they contravene that then they count as one of the AC75 foils. Which means that essentially they are tied to that foils design - or at least the immutable portion (again from memory something of the order of 80%).

Only the LEQ12s really offer a testing opportunity for different foils.

You get the feeling that NZ want to lever their simulation and avoid anyone testing anything radical or innovative. Which is shame given that the AC is a design competition

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
I am away and so can't easily check the rules, but if my memory is correct they can test foils on an AC40 provided they fit within the AC40 rule. But if they they contravene that then they count as one of the AC75 foils. Which means that essentially they are tied to that foils design - or at least the immutable portion (again from memory something of the order of 80%).

Only the LEQ12s really offer a testing opportunity for different foils.

You get the feeling that NZ want to lever their simulation and avoid anyone testing anything radical or innovative. Which is shame given that the AC is a design competition
It WAS design competition. Coutts started the trend to one design, Dalton solidified it. 

Now, the AC is just Dalton’s cash cow. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist

Well, ETNZ was the last team to show up with a test mule, and they did alright. In this day and age, it seems like the main value in the test boat is to confirm that the computers were right. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
It WAS design competition. Coutts started the trend to one design, Dalton solidified it. 

Now, the AC is just Dalton’s cash cow. 
Dalton is also forcing his choice of design onto whoever wins the next event.

The biggest asshole move by anyone in the history of the cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
The team still has a tech business in the old base, and I think have the option of resuming on water operations from there later in the campaign.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Maybe turning a design race into a semi one design. Then to put a high price on wanting to do what, for over 130 years, was considered part of the spoils of victory.

For you this is okay. For many, not so much.
I guess the deed allows any agreement they want. Not really sure what I would do. They tried to take out the stuff that was not working, and leave stuff that is still interesting. They are trying to win and also trying to keep the thing going. I don't know that I would be able to do better.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I guess the deed allows any agreement they want. Not really sure what I would do. They tried to take out the stuff that was not working, and leave stuff that is still interesting. They are trying to win and also trying to keep the thing going. I don't know that I would be able to do better.
So the winner having a choice on what design to race wasn't working?

Seems to have been fine for over 100 years.

cbulger

Newport
I don't know if its been fine.  SailGP seems to have more momentum right now and that would be the AC if GD wasn't so pissed at Larry (not that he didn't have cause).

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I don't know if its been fine.  SailGP seems to have more momentum right now and that would be the AC if GD wasn't so pissed at Larry (not that he didn't have cause).
But the AC isn't SailGP and I wish people would stop trying to make it so. Both very different concepts.

Unless you think the AC should be a one design, cup raced for every year (or maybe up for grabs each regatta to keep it moving), red bull event.