Team NYYC

shebeen

Super Anarchist
In what way? Remember, facts matter.
According to the deed it's a "friendly contest between nations" where the winner gets to decide what happens in the future event.

Dictating to the winner with penalties is financial blackmail, despite how transparent it is.

I don't think it would get to that, but a court could well find this clause is not deed compliant.

According to the deed it's a "friendly contest between nations" where the winner gets to decide what happens in the future event.

Dictating to the winner with penalties is financial blackmail, despite how transparent it is.

I don't think it would get to that, but a court could well find this clause is not deed compliant.
It was put in there specifically for Ernesto. Ernesto wanted some sort of attempted guarantee that same AC75s would be used for AC38 as well.  While nobody can really determine if it is deed compliant, they put it in there to satisfy the request.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
It was put in there specifically for Ernesto. Ernesto wanted some sort of attempted guarantee that same AC75s would be used for AC38 as well.  While nobody can really determine if it is deed compliant, they put it in there to satisfy the request.
If that's to be believed, decided over beers  between SirJim/Ben and EB?

Or do GD and Ernie see eye to eye these days?

Would be interesting to see the horse trading on the penalty figure!

cbulger

Newport
But the AC isn't SailGP and I wish people would stop trying to make it so. Both very different concepts.

Unless you think the AC should be a one design, cup raced for every year (or maybe up for grabs each regatta to keep it moving), red bull event.
Clearly the history of the AC isn't what SailGP is now.  But SailGP is a version of where all teams except NZ wanted to take the Cup after Bermuda.  If there is any consensus among the super-rich players - it seems to be that they would like the AC to look a more like Formula One. Sure - with one guy paying for the whole SailGP exhibition, they are keeping it one-design to control costs.   But if/when there are 5 or 6 rich guys playing, watch them open up the foil and aero design.

The differences will start to fade.  Maybe the circuits will merge.

And yes, the AC will have evolved.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Clearly the history of the AC isn't what SailGP is now.  But SailGP is a version of where all teams except NZ wanted to take the Cup after Bermuda.  If there is any consensus among the super-rich players - it seems to be that they would like the AC to look a more like Formula One. Sure - with one guy paying for the whole SailGP exhibition, they are keeping it one-design to control costs.   But if/when there are 5 or 6 rich guys playing, watch them open up the foil and aero design.

The differences will start to fade.  Maybe the circuits will merge.

And yes, the AC will have evolved.
The AC has always had limits to the design. There are limits in the deed itself. It's OK for participants to agree to other limits. It's fine for you to object to specific limits. Or to object to the tightness of the limits. Or to object specifically to contractual obligations to maintain specific limits in the future. But it seems silly to object vaguely to the idea of limits. And it's also silly to say that any version of the AC was as limited as SailGP. SailGP is pretty strict OD. The AC has never been anywhere near that strict. And I very much enjoy following both SailGP and AC.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
 If there is any consensus among the super-rich players - it seems to be that they would like the AC to look a more like Formula One.
On this I totally disagree.

Most of the super-rich have lost interest because they don't want to be involved in some red bullesque, commercial venture for the plebs. They have moved into other sailing events where there is less focus on the millions they can squander on a boat they can drive if they want to.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
it does look like they both know how to sail. and a j80 - that's a race boat.

Mark-Zuckerberg-216000-friends-489x600.jpg

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Agree. You can note history but you can not rely on it for future success.

I recently had a discussion about a high-end restaurant, family place that is 3 generations old, famous on the US West Coast. During Covid, the brothers launched 22 business models in 12 months to save their place, and keep every staff member  employed. Each business model had 2 weeks to survive or die. 

The mentality they describe is "for the sake of our next generation,  we wake up every morning and have to admit, that if our rear-view mirror is larger than our windshield, our business is dead...." I thought this was a great point of view. With a nudge and a wink, they eluded to the fact a lot of famous traditional steak places on both coasts disappeared during covid because they were betting on the history of the establishment and the aura of a clip on bow-tie to save them vs. moving forward in a new world. 

At some point you need to look at the world differently...

(not a Covid post)
"for the sake of our next generation,  we wake up every morning and have to admit, that if our rear-view mirror is larger than our windshield, our business is dead.."

= A winner's mentality....

Which is probably why it is a 3 generation family business while others come and go.

Which campaign runs their AC program like the brothers that XPRO describes run their business.

Is it NYYC or ETNZ?

usa318

Was rewatching R5 of the 36th cup just now. As an American, two thoughts rolling into the next cycle...

1. If the US had a 'Pete and Blair" who had not yet committed in 2022 - I would be irate to say the least

2. The commentary was very good. Ken is solid, Shirley is super skilled, and Nath should have been driving a boat. Consensus was that TNZ was a generation forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is that? Did it stay state-side, or shipped over to NZ? 

How about the other teams?
Last I remember, AM said all their gear was in NZ still...

Pretty sure I saw the LR boats back in ITA. There must have been some issues with the mini moon- we didn't see much of it, or it was too late in the cycle for it to be effective and they just focused on the full scale boats.

Ineos? Did they ship their junk home, or did they get turned into chips for recycled carbon bunks for the new boat already? Do they have a base?

Any word on which v1 boat Alinghi is after? I'd imagine LR b1 as that was at least close to their b2.

S+S still trying to get their hands on ETNZ v1?

You are right, we only saw Mini Moon a couple times, I've heard it was a full disaster. something along the lines of, it was built for 2, but in the end they needed 3 to sail it, which made the whole thing too unstable. 

atwinda

Anarchist
You are right, we only saw Mini Moon a couple times, I've heard it was a full disaster. something along the lines of, it was built for 2, but in the end they needed 3 to sail it, which made the whole thing too unstable. 
That's a bummer, it was a gorgeous looking boat, with probably the highest potential for trickle down to private owners.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Was rewatching R5 of the 36th cup just now. As an American, two thoughts rolling into the next cycle...

1. If the US had a 'Pete and Blair" who had not yet committed in 2022 - I would be irate to say the least

2. The commentary was very good. Ken is solid, Shirley is super skilled, and Nath should have been driving a boat. Consensus was that TNZ was a generation forward.
well, given this is the team NYYC thread, I guess you don't feel the same way about Barker?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
well, given this is the team NYYC thread, I guess you don't feel the same way about Barker?
I realize you are responding to usa318 but my take on it? Would be plenty happy to see Barker back with AM, that guy has huge experience in both racing foiling boats and in up-developing them. That said, Slingsby would be an awesome signing. Maybe they will have both? 

As to P&B, I hope and expect they will re-sign with ETNZ.

Sea Breeze 74

Anarchist
NZL
Totally agree with the above. Nathan was an excellent commentator too (and sure as hell should have been helming a boat).

I didn't watch much of the TVNZ coverage but when I did, Phil Robertson was great - animated and knowledgeable. Once AM were eliminated they wheeled in Barker to replace Robertson which was a shit move. 

Last edited by a moderator: