Team UK

barfy

Super Anarchist
looked like quite a good angle on the tack as well, didn't need to heat up at all.

The 75's may be beasts.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Between Bramblemet and Chimet, they are off Ryde Pier at one point. Tide makes quite a difference to wind where they are sailing. You'd need to know the time as well as the date, neither seems available?

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
Well, you can tell it's late in the day from the sun... but yeah, with no day it's a pretty thankless task. Looks light though judging by the yacht with full canvas up and not much heel. Impressive. 

Edit: I take that back about it being late in the day, was just going by the orange glow. But looking at the pier it looks to be morning, after the commute. So like 10am.  Anyway,m complete speculation and not really worth it without a precise time and date. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist

nav

Super Anarchist
My guess is pretty close, I would say 10-12 kts of wind with 20-25 kts of speed. Just by the thumb.

Very interesting, the windward foil does not seem as high as already seen, so they may use the tip + negative flap in order to lift the boat when falling to windward. That would be the decisive solution to prevent a windward crash.

What do you think ?
As the windward foil in the position they were carrying it had the lifting surfaces (foil wings) essentially perpendicular to the sea surface, it can only produce drag and yaw when it digs in, no lift that I can see.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
As the windward foil in the position they were carrying it had the lifting surfaces (foil wings) essentially perpendicular to the sea surface, it can only produce drag and yaw when it digs in, no lift that I can see.
You are right, however with inversed V I wonder if they can angle it, and use some negative or positive flap, so that it produces lift when hitting the water.

Obviously we would need better picture and test to know if it works. If possible that would be a major achievement and greatly increase the boat stability as it would work like a dynamic trimaran.

If it works any mono could be be transformed as a foiler with trimaran stability, huge potential.

Remains to be demonstrated though.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
You are right, however with inversed V I wonder if they can angle it, and use some negative or positive flap, so that it produces lift when hitting the water.

Obviously we would need better picture and test to know if it works. If possible that would be a major achievement and greatly increase the boat stability as it would work like a dynamic trimaran.

If it works any mono could be be transformed as a foiler with trimaran stability, huge potential.

Remains to be demonstrated though.
Why bother with a mono?

Fireball

Anarchist
dg_sailingfan said:
I'm not defending INEOS's business practices, but prior to their involvement the press releases from Ainslie and Simmer sounded like they may not be able to run a competitive campaign. So the choice to the team may have been INEOS or nothing.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
In response, World Sailing chief executive Andy Hunt said although the governing body had not yet given official sanction to the America's Cup event, they expected to do so "in due course".

Hunt said while racing boat advertising must comply with World Sailing's advertising code and meet generally accepted moral and ethical standards, it "does not sanction or otherwise approve sponsorship of competitors or teams".

"World Sailing has laid out its own ambitious commitment to help create a better world through sport through Sustainability Agenda 2030 and we have no reason to believe that the 36th America's Cup will not comply with World Sailing policy."

He didn't add "Oh by the way, we are sponsored by Gazprom, compared to whom Ineos are angels."

But good for Vivienne Westwood et al for turning around the greenwash.

blackman

In my swiss town Lausanne, INEOS have nearly bought the soccer team and ice-hockey team, with some bad reactions, but the people forget very quickly this kind of troubles... I will not forget, and I hope that this totally insane company will not get the opportunity to have a clean image thanks sailing. I was doubtfull from day one on, and still hope some changes in this AC sponsoring deal...  https://twitter.com/BlackmanLenoir/status/989454208821841920

A Class Sailor

Anarchist
On the water
People seem to forget or not realise that this is more than a sponsorship deal. Radcliffe owns the team. This deal will not be undone.

I also find the protesters mentioned above really naive to think that any sports governing body  or even event organiser could ban INEOS from sponsoring a team in the AC. This is not like cigarette advertising in F1, which stopped because countries banned cigarette advertising which meant F1 couldn't be shown or take place in those countries which was unacceptable to F1. In this case, INEOS isn't doing anything illegal and as a company are not banned from advertising in any country that i am aware of. I don't like what they do, but there are zero legal reasons for preventing INEOS from sponsoring a sailing team.

Varan

Super Anarchist
... I don't like what they do...
Me either, but I still drive a gas powered vehicle, my outboard runs on gasoline, so does my chainsaw, lawnmower, snowblower, rototiller, ... the list goes on... plus I consume electricity generated from natural gas... fuck me.. I am supporting fracking! Only fracking good thing about it, one company at least supports sailing. Way better than F1 or other fas guzzling sports. Every evil has a bright spot I guess.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I also find the protesters mentioned above really naive to think that any sports governing body  or even event organiser could ban INEOS from sponsoring a team in the AC.
It's also naive to believe the protesters believe that is a likely outcome. What they are doing is pointing at greenwash,. By the way, here's a picture of a younger Vivienne Westwood. Do you like the t-shirt slogan?

1*8CAABfJRSAHHtekS9BQKBA.jpeg

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
World $ailing will do precisely nothing - they need the $$$$ from AC.    Bob Fisher got it right and then the riposte from the W$ bean counters was classic accountancy obfuscation.

Latest posts