Telstar 26

boardhead

Anarchist
My dad bought a new one in 1980 after Tony Smith went "back to basics" and shaved all the weight he could out of the earlier version. New boat was masthead rigged with thinner laminates, locally stiffened with foam ribs.

Tony did build a kevlar Telstar 26 back in (I think) 1974 in which did a Round Britain Race, something I am not aware of an F27 doing. Make no mistake, the boat was designed, built and raced by the real Mccoy, he did three RBR's in trimarans he either built or designed and built.

The Telstar 26 has remarkable accommodation for it's size and performance and for an old Boomer could be a load of fun - you don't have to hang with the crowd, particularly if your goals are different.

Is the boat masthead or fractional, what year, outboard or inboard engine? The price could be a steal compared to Farrier as they don't carry the legendary reputation and premium pricing. Where to you intend sailing and for what time frames with how many people?

Plenty of people bad mouth Tony's Gemini 105 cata.aran but he built over a thousand of them and production died after he sold the molds for the advent of a better quality build.

My dad enjoyed his, at age 63 and then, at 70 he bought a Saga 40 monohull and sailed that boat across the Atlantic double handed with my twenty year old sister - read, he was no lightweight and knew how to check out a boat!

Steve

Anarchist
duluth, mn
A friend of mine bought one on ebay about a decade ago and i helped sail it from the panhandle down to key west and another crew joined( i got off) and they continued on to Belize. I can't comment much on how it sailed as the bottom had a lot of growth and it was very overloaded ( part of why i didn't continue on) but i liked the boat and i think it was better built than the Gemini's. I would have one. I have raced a season on a F27 including a 338 mile race and while they undoubtably sail better i would say the Telstar would be a lot more comfortable, particularly the cockpit.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
My dad bought a new one in 1980 after Tony Smith went "back to basics" and shaved all the weight he could out of the earlier version. New boat was masthead rigged with thinner laminates, locally stiffened with foam ribs.

Tony did build a kevlar Telstar 26 back in (I think) 1974 in which did a Round Britain Race, something I am not aware of an F27 doing. Make no mistake, the boat was designed, built and raced by the real Mccoy, he did three RBR's in trimarans he either built or designed and built.

The Telstar 26 has remarkable accommodation for it's size and performance and for an old Boomer could be a load of fun - you don't have to hang with the crowd, particularly if your goals are different.

Is the boat masthead or fractional, what year, outboard or inboard engine? The price could be a steal compared to Farrier as they don't carry the legendary reputation and premium pricing. Where to you intend sailing and for what time frames with how many people?

Plenty of people bad mouth Tony's Gemini 105 cata.aran but he built over a thousand of them and production died after he sold the molds for the advent of a better quality build.

My dad enjoyed his, at age 63 and then, at 70 he bought a Saga 40 monohull and sailed that boat across the Atlantic double handed with my twenty year old sister - read, he was no lightweight and knew how to check out a boat!
Thanks for the interesting info, some things I'll have to check out some things, Pricing compared to a Corsair is lower. and like some of the layout below seems a little better (head), like any boat want to race lighten the load, cruise weigh her down. See many good sailing cats/tris, that sail like slow Mono hulls cause of all the stuff put on them. Sailing/racing J-boats, I would often sail faster than some cats of the same size,