The 2010 US-IRC Great Lakes Championships

L Z

Reporters
logo.jpg

The 2010 US-IRC Great Lakes Championships for the second consecutive year will be sailed in lower Lake Huron in the shadow of two great sailing communities; Sarnia, Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan. The Port Huron Yacht Club is looking forward to hosting this much anticipated event just one week before the Bayview Port Huron to Mackinac Island Sailboat Race is scheduled to set sail.

The Blue Water Area provides a beautiful and challenging setting for the events race course. Mid July on Lake Huron brings uncertain wind conditions which will keep skippers and their tacticians busy trying to plan for the next shift. Although predominate wind direction would call for southerly winds this time of year all it takes is a cold front to come through the area to make for some entertaining racing with strong northerly winds and high seas.

Racing conditions were near perfect for the 2009 US-IRC Great Lakes Championships. Warm southerly breezes met the three classes of boats the entire weekend as a close an intense battle in sued between the yachts to establish who would be the first ever US-IRC Great Lakes Champion.

More information: www.us-irc.org/newsfull.cfm?ID=210

Registration is open at: www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=319

Last edited by a moderator:

FastrSailr

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Sailed it last year and it was Chamber of Commerce conditions. Could have used a touch more breeze on Sunday for the big old black boat I was on, but I hope the boat sails again this year, and I hope to be on it, bar exam review be damned!

tuf-luf

Super Anarchist
Bangrak
I miss sailing on lower Lake Huron sooooo much.

So what is the hot boat in the A division?

I'll be glued to the results for the Soto40 that was just delivered to L Michigan (sure hope those guys do your regatta).

Good times for sure!

I miss sailing on lower Lake Huron sooooo much.

So what is the hot boat in the A division?

I'll be glued to the results for the Soto40 that was just delivered to L Michigan (sure hope those guys do your regatta).

Good times for sure!
Big boats showed up BUT could not produce the desired results in 2009.

I guess they were nice and HOT just, not HOT enough.

Peacefrog

Super Anarchist
Tuffie

You should buy a Soto 40 for your old home town :) I'll take good care of it while you are over there sailing your 52 :)

tconnolly

Lake Huron
It really was a picture perfect weekend last year… a couple of things that probably should be mentioned… the weekend before this event is the LHIR (Port Huron 100). There are now three courses for this overnight race and when there is wind it's a great evening out on Lake Huron. The LHIR start is on Friday, July 2nd at 1900. Mooring will be available at PHYC for all boats that are doing these events until Sunday, July 11th and at that point the harbor is in the Commodore's hands (he likes Red Label).

The schedule does set up nicely if boats would like to come up or down to POHO a little early and join us at PHYC for some great racing, entertainment and the cheapest drinks on the Lakes. Don't let the fact that we no longer have Stroh's on tap keep you away (we replaced it with PBR!!!)

MR.CLEAN

Not here
It really was a picture perfect weekend last year… a couple of things that probably should be mentioned… the weekend before this event is the LHIR (Port Huron 100). There are now three courses for this overnight race and when there is wind it's a great evening out on Lake Huron. The LHIR start is on Friday, July 2nd at 1900. Mooring will be available at PHYC for all boats that are doing these events until Sunday, July 11th and at that point the harbor is in the Commodore's hands (he likes Red Label).

The schedule does set up nicely if boats would like to come up or down to POHO a little early and join us at PHYC for some great racing, entertainment and the cheapest drinks on the Lakes. Don't let the fact that we no longer have Stroh's on tap keep you away (we replaced it with PBR!!!)
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

tconnolly

Lake Huron
The Flying Crow Bars are not exactly the Good Ol' Boys… and I dare say the PHYC is a little different then Bob's Country Bunker. I will admit you don't have to go far (The Roche Bar aka Club Roche) to get a little Bob's Country Bunker feel.

It was a sad day when the tap drained dry on the Stroh's… I'm sure Ed was pissed! He would be a little confused by the Bells Oberon product that the kids are drinking these days? We saved the tap and have planned a special place for it in Fiddlers Green!

Thanks Clean for the video… makes my parents proud… especially how easy that shot of Jager went down. It would be great to have you up for this weekend… if you're not off doing some World Galactic Regatta plan on being in POHO in July!