The 2021 Aviation thread

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Even better, they like the autogas STC to keep the lead out. All of my towing was done on autogas and our chapter C140 was much happier on autogas than 100LL.
Word is Lycoming approves of the use of Tricresyl phosphate as an oil additive. 

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/1994/november/pilot/airframe-and-powerplant-(8)

I would check to see if any gas additive settles out after some time before using it...like in a glass jar. Might cause a problem. Cars get shaken up daily. Planes, not so much. 

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
That Icon looks like a restyled Lake - what's the problem?
The aircraft is fine, but the advertising isn't.  It is promoted as being completely benign and easy to fly.  Just ask Roy Halladay - oh wait, you can't, he mishandled the aircraft and killed himself. 

Last edited by a moderator:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
That was great until ethanol came around :angry:

We had a Mako 231 for years with a 225 HP Yamaha V-6, 2-stroke, and never had problems with the pump gas containing ethanol.  Shop that is winterizing our just acquired 20 foot Sea Ox uses ethanol free gas in the fuel system while winterizing, but it costs well over 10 bucks a gallon, so not feasible to run the boat on......

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
 I would check to see if any gas additive settles out after some time before using it...like in a glass jar. Might cause a problem. Cars get shaken up daily. Planes, not so much. 
I had OK skills but I think some of my landings may have jostled some fuel around. It was only once a week if that's what you meant.

Mark K

Super Anarchist
I had OK skills but I think some of my landings may have jostled some fuel around. It was only once a week if that's what you meant.
I meant that an fuel additive that precipitates out of solution could cause a problem.  

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
The aircraft is fine, but the advertising isn't.  It is promoted as being completely benign and easy to fly.  Just ask Roy Halladay - oh wait, you can't, he mishandled the aircraft and killed himself. 
Roy would have probably killed himself sooner in a Lake than the ICON. Less than 15 hours time in the ICON and doing aerobatic maneuvers at low altitude...

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
We had a Mako 231 for years with a 225 HP Yamaha V-6, 2-stroke, and never had problems with the pump gas containing ethanol.  Shop that is winterizing our just acquired 20 foot Sea Ox uses ethanol free gas in the fuel system while winterizing, but it costs well over 10 bucks a gallon, so not feasible to run the boat on......
With ethanol polluted gas, keep an eye on your rubber fuel feed line and if you have aluminum fuel rails check them from time to time too.

Mark K

Super Anarchist
1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Roy would have probably killed himself sooner in a Lake than the ICON. Less than 15 hours time in the ICON and doing aerobatic maneuvers at low altitude...

The toxicology says he was high as a kite. 

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

15 hours in the Icon?  Did he have flight training in anything else before that?  I had nearly 60 hours in a bulleproof Cessna 152, and prepping for my 2 stop solo, then flight check for my ticket, prior to becoming very ill and sidelined for nearly a year, and never finished getting my license because of the illness.  Even with 60 hours, I would not have attempted  those kind of maneuvers???  But, I was also never taking psychoactive meds ..........

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
15 hours in the Icon?  Did he have flight training in anything else before that?  I had nearly 60 hours in a bulleproof Cessna 152, and prepping for my 2 stop solo, then flight check for my ticket, prior to becoming very ill and sidelined for nearly a year, and never finished getting my license because of the illness.  Even with 60 hours, I would not have attempted  those kind of maneuvers???  But, I was also never taking psychoactive meds ..........
Check out the low level maneuvers in the promo video - not as extreme as what Halladay attempted but one can connect the dots to figure out where he got the idea:

Mark K

Super Anarchist
On 11/18/2021 at 7:39 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Drugs were the least of it...

Why did someone label a vid saying drugs were the most of it as the least? 

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
On 11/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, bstrdsonofbtl said:

nosewheel pilot.JPG

Ruminator

Florida
I always ask my Sea Nymph why she wants an Amphib Cert?  Seems like we could just refine our SFL???

Seriously, this clip always impresses.

unreal.gif