The 2021 Aviation thread

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
chum said:
Can’t tell if that’s CG? At least it looks like there’s some hope of deadstick landing if it’s configured right and all those windmills could be feathered. Not so much for most of the vtol designs these days.
Pilot's seat appears to be without pilot.  I'd bet CGI.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
14 hours ago, 130lights said:

Very nice, but for 1.3 million, I will do a ride share program, if and when one is available that suits my needs.  OTOH, other that going to Charleston, SC to visit our daughters, our transport needs around town are well served by our old fashioned ICE cars.......

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
Very nice, but for 1.3 million, I will do a ride share program, if and when one is available that suits my needs.  OTOH, other that going to Charleston, SC to visit our daughters, our transport needs around town are well served by our old fashioned ICE cars.......
Makes sense to me…hey, I live in a lakeside town of <8k, but this is an aviation thread. UBER has invested $125m into Joby so far, I’m interested in watching the stock.  I’m thinking of an ebike to get to the marina.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
chum said:
Why would it factor in? Unless it moves it just goes under empty weight, thats fixed unless it changes with addition or subtraction of equipment, which then results in new empty weight and ewcg numbers.
It is a legitimate question from someone that may not know much about W&B computations.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Makes sense to me…hey, I live in a lakeside town of <8k, but this is an aviation thread. UBER has invested $125m into Joby so far, I’m interested in watching the stock.  I’m thinking of an ebike to get to the marina.
Just ordered an e-bike recommended by Cal20Sailor on here, and many others.  Looking forward to it!!  It's detailed in my bike thread......

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
Ummm... generally designers like to add lightness to aircraft, not 75 Lb flywheels.

They don't even put those on boats anymore - although they should IMO.
75 lbs would be a little bit of a stretch for a four-banger, what a VW TDI flywheel is what 25 lbs?  But something else aircraft designers need to be concerned about regarding the balance and stability of the airplane. 

This should help ya out...

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-1.pdf