The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I've had the same problem!!!! Eventually, I asked a Kiwi friend to call them on the phone and he had to try many times! That's absurd. I wrote them a letter of complaint on the subject. Unsubscribing should be doable with a mouse click!!
If I had downloaded the NZ Herald app and then subscribed through there (Apple in my case) it would have been simple. Instead I had subscribed via their web site using a Visa card, apparently requiring a phone call to NZ to do the unsubscribe instead of simply via the Apple->Settings->Subscriptions on the phone. 

The service rep was friendly and all, they also offered a deal for just $1.50/wk, almost took it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

strider470

Super Anarchist
If I had downloaded the NZ Herald app and then subscribed through there (Apple in my case) it would have been simple. Instead I had subscribed via their web site using a Visa card, apparently requiring a phone call to NZ to do the unsubscribe instead simply via the Apple->Settings->Subscriptions on the phone. 

The service rep was friendly and all, they also offered a deal for just $1.50/wk, almost took it. 
same here

Diversion? Are you high?
Sadly I have not been high for about 3 years.  Its a long story.

As I tried to clarify.....and others have as well......a challenger can be an incorporated yacht club, so the challenge from Royal Yacht Squadron Racing Ltd.....or Royal Yacht Squadron Ltd is a valid challenge .  Somewhere on SA there was a thread or article suggesting that RYSR Ltd might not meet DoG definition of a properly qualified challenger.  Sorry if I attributed it to you....I think you highlighted it as a controversial topic to discuss without either giving it credit or discredit.

Anyway...hope you are well and getting high as often as you like.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I'm afraid "Yacht Club" is not a registered legal status in the UK, you need a registered legal entity to hold assets, like say, a rather large castle in cowes, or get a bank account to fund, say, an AC campaign. They could be a charity, but that holds a heap of legislation around what you can or can't do. Thus you instead register a company.

If it helps ease your mind, the registered name is now ROYAL YACHT SQUADRON LTD
A yacht club cannot be a charity in the UK because there is a defined list in law of charitable objectives which a yacht club does not fit. However they can certainly be a limited company and there are good reasons to go that route. We’ve been through all this.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
God this whole thing about ETNZ selling out is a yawn fest!

I remember when Dalton first made mention of a "back up plan" to hold the Cup in Italy if something happened that meant Auckland couldn't host the Cup, and all the crazies came out then and said "Dalton is shipping the Cup off to Italy" and "Dalton is selling NZ out to his poodle Bertelli by holding the Cup in Italy" even then, even way back then, they said "Dalton was putting a gun to the Governments head by forcing them to hold it in NZ or else" And look what happened. You were all wrong then, you're wrong now, and you'll be wrong when the next defence is in Auckland (again) FFS, calm the fuck down. It will be in NZ just like it was before. 

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist
The RYS Racing stuff has got hold of people's brains and they will not let it go. RYS Racing can either be viewed as:

• A corporate entity that represents the RYS proper
  • A club of its own

EITHER WAY, it's a valid challenger under the deed. It's a non-issue.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
The RYS Racing stuff has got hold of people's brains and they will not let it go. RYS Racing can either be viewed as:

• A corporate entity that represents the RYS proper
  • A club of its own

EITHER WAY, it's a valid challenger under the deed. It's a non-issue.
I agree the  whole thing got silly, of course it’s a valid challenge. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Yes it was TFE who started this absurd theory that RYSR ltd was not a valid challenge. Apologies to Scooter @Editor.   
No, TFE argues that RYSR is perfectly legit but has brought up the ‘controversy’ with Hamish Ross - a sometimes guest on his show, who literally has a ‘PhD in America’s Cup.’

Me, I think it’s a reasonable question to ask and am not convinced either way about if it’d survive a court challenge. Hopefully nobody will bother. 

If it is so important to ‘protect’ a real Yacht Club like RYS then why did both AM’s NYYC and LR’s CVS YC’s  not do the same weird thing? edit: RNZYS too.. 

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
No, TFE argues that RYSR is perfectly legit but has brought up the ‘controversy’ with Hamish Ross - a sometimes guest on his show, who literally has a ‘PhD in America’s Cup.’

Me, I think it’s a reasonable question to ask and am not convinced either way about if it’d survive a court challenge. Hopefully nobody will bother. 

If it is so important to ‘protect’ a real Yacht Club like RYS then why did both AM’s NYYC and LR’s CVS YC’s  not do the same weird thing? edit: RNZYS too.. 
Maybe the laws in the other countries are different. As I wrote above somewhere, in GB it's even possible to have a political party as a Ltd. Which would be impossible in Germany for example. Also in Germany, YCs are usually nonprofit clubs and profit from tax exemption, but the board is liable.

And as for Hamish Ross, well you know my opinion...

http://www.bymnews.com/america's-cup-33/court-case.php
(The last paragraph is of special beauty.)

Latest posts