The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
He's a sailmaker by trade....possibly been offered a cushy gig at Norths in Aus?
My hypothesis whenever this is mentioned is that he would go into some sort of sailmaking role somewhere. He can always be seconded back to ETNZ during the tail of a cup cycle without the need to be a full time cup campaigner which must be getting exhausting. I don't see him totally abandoning ETNZ, just sidelining himself to a less full on role.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
I would expect Ashby to come off the boat at some point.

When Grant retires as CEO, we'll likely see Shoebridge step up, maybe GA to COO?
Should Ashby leave the NZ fold completely is there anything to stop him being hired by another team as long as he isn’t “on the boat” 

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
I don’t think any of us should hold our breath on an Ozzy challenge appearing for 37 sadly 
I know, so wrong....

20210428_204740.jpg

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
That would be novel. An Aussie on an Aussie boat! ;-)
An Aussie boat would be novel.

The nation that finally pried the cup away from NYYC has not been seen in an Americas Cup challenge since 2000.  I had forgotten that Jimmy Spitbull drove that boat......he was 19 years old.   

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Nothing official, just gossip on that FB AC group. So might be complete crap. He has been campaigning a long time in the AC - since the Dogzilla match I think? So wouldn't be surprised if he's had enough.....
He might be offered a more senior position in ETNZ, even one day syndicate head. I have no prob with an Aussie in charge

accnick

Super Anarchist
An Aussie boat would be novel.

The nation that finally pried the cup away from NYYC has not been seen in an Americas Cup challenge since 2000.  I had forgotten that Jimmy Spitbull drove that boat......he was 19 years old.   
Young Australia 2000 were hampered by using an old boat, and Syd Fischer's typical refusal to put up the money required for a competitive campaign. 

Jimmy probably learned a lot from it, however.

The LV Cup final that year (AmOne vs Prada) was some of the best LV Cup racing ever. I still watch some of those races on YouTube. For match racing fans, they were great.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Young Australia 2000 were hampered by using an old boat, and Syd Fischer's typical refusal to put up the money required for a competitive campaign. 

Jimmy probably learned a lot from it, however.

The LV Cup final that year (AmOne vs Prada) was some of the best LV Cup racing ever. I still watch some of those races on YouTube. For match racing fans, they were great.
Indeed. At 19 years old he got to steer in an AC challenge. Has there been a younger helm since?  Turned out to be an opportunity of a life time that launched his career . Even if poorly funded  SF provided an opportunity for a number of young Australians 

accnick

Super Anarchist
Working for Syd was a trade-off. You knew you didn't have a chance to win, and you may or may not get paid anything, but you got your foot in the door in a way that you were unlikely to do with better-funded, higher-profile campaigns.

Helming an AC boat at 19  (he was actually 20 well before the start of racing)--even one doomed to failure--is a pretty good start on the AC path. There were other young up-and-coming sailors on that boat as well. Joey Newton was another one whose AC career started on that boat, and he's still at it. (Joey may have the most wicked sense of humor in the AC.)

AUS 31 wasn't a bad boat, but she was a full generation removed from most of the boats by 2000.

accnick

Super Anarchist
@accnick Young Australia, AKA Sydney 95, was AUS 29 not 31.

31 was the One Australia boat that didn't sink ;)
Syd started out with Sydney 95, but later got AUS 31.

Young Oz 2000

Sydney 95 ended up dead last in the 1995 CSS, but she did win some races. She wasn't any better by the time the 2000 event rolled around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts