The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Hi would you like to compete in a really expensive boat race?

erm well how much are we talking

'literally everything you have there is no limit at all''

right that sounds like a pretty shit offer to be fair.

'ok then what if we capped it at 100 mil?'

hmm that sounds better  you might get a few other people in at that kind of price?

yup that's the thinking really as we want more teams entering, you sure the unlimited spend thing isn't for you though? there are some super smart people that cant wait to spend the national debt of a small country on a once every four year boat race that you might not get to take part in.

sorry wait a sec, I spend all that cash and I have to qualify to race in it?  

er yeah its super good value though lots of people on Sailing Anarchy like it, so we can put you down for the unlimited  or teh 100 mil version.....  hello ? are you still there ..

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
agreed defence in NZ for 2024, but with a one on one race around the island as a spectacle underwritten by Jim as a hype build, NOT a DOG challenge.
As an independant pre-event, possibly associated with an ACWS round this would be fine.

If RYS representative syndicate wants a DoG, this would also be fine. (I've been trying to think what you would build for a DoG now)

But if they want an AC raced on the Solent the ONLY way that should ever happen is if they actually win the damn thing themselves first.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
As an independant pre-event, possibly associated with an ACWS round this would be fine.

If RYS representative syndicate wants a DoG, this would also be fine. (I've been trying to think what you would build for a DoG now)

But if they want an AC raced on the Solent the ONLY way that should ever happen is if they actually win the damn thing themselves first.
unless Grant wants to put it on the line for the RTI with the caveat that if Jim wins it the defence is in Auckland with Jim picking up the tab..;)

but no think my original suggestion is far more likely, with RTI being a standalone spectacle, couple of modded 75s hammering around the island with tides to account for, wind shifts, sea state variances and no course boundaries ? what's not to like, ok he pays for the kiwi compound and set up but it would be awesome.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
but no think my original suggestion is far more likely, with RTI being a standalone spectacle, couple of modded 75s hammering around the island with tides to account for, wind shifts, sea state variances and no course boundaries ? what's not to like, ok he pays for the kiwi compound and set up but it would be awesome.
An interesting concept all the same. Sort of like a warm-up pre AC 37?

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
An interesting concept all the same. Sort of like a warm-up pre AC 37?
pretty much, also if you are going to be asking for changes to boats/ foils rigs etc it actually gives a decent trash to see how well it all works far enough out that any new teams don't rock up with an unproven design concept

XPRO

On The Water
I am hearing that the GBR’s Royal Yacht Squadron challenge is NOT INEOS, but is from another UK based billionaire, has anyone in the UK heard the same?

Last edited by a moderator:

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
I am hearing that the GBR’s Royal Yacht Squadron challenge is NOT INEOS, but is from another UK based billionaire, has anyone in the UK heard the same?
This seems unlikely but would be an interesting turn of events... Maybe the other Brexit backing, offshore tax haven resident Mr Dyson has found a new interest in yacht racing??

Regarding the RTI race - are they going to heli-drop in new grinders on the way round or just start with extra and heave the knackered ones over the side to be collected by the chase boats?

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
Nice to see people getting over-excited about something that someone has heard may happen on the UK racing....good old Butterworth. I think I’ll wait and see what actually comes out first!

accnick

Super Anarchist
For many reasons.

1) the events would be necessarily held in different seasons from NH and SH (6 months apart), and you need to optimize the boats for the local conditions. Unless you want to race during British winter weather with AC 75... and that would be even worse.

2) challengers not getting enough local training on the Match racecourses and less knowledge of wind/waves typical of Auckland

3) Logistics. it would be necessary to build facilities and bases in two different places for the teams. More costs and less time for development/training

just to say a few
Add to that ETNZ developing and training in home waters for the entire cycle, while the Challengers fight it out in a venue that has nothing to do with the Match venue. 

The boat that wins a CSS in (for example) the UK may not be the best boat to take to a Match in NZ. Unless there are very liberal component limits, the Challenger may have used up all their component cards before even getting to NZ. All their development will have gone into winning the CSS, and they may have neither the time nor the equipment options to re-gear for the Match.

Meanwhile, NZ is operating at home, and the entire teams sleeps in their own beds every night. No logistical costs and time out for shipping. Sure, you can set embargo periods where the Defender can't sail while Challengers are being shipped, but those are always serious bones of contention, and do not stop ongoing development.

Effectively, the budgets for each Challenger will be at least 50% more than that of the Defender.

It's like telling the All Blacks they have to prepare for the Rugby World Cup by climbing Everest while all the other teams play rugby.

It is a virtual guarantee that the Defender will retain the Cup.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
But that's structural/cultural problems, is it not?

ETNZ spent what, north of $60 million? Where would you suggest the cap sits?
You'd have to know what teams have actually been spending and on what to answer that sensibly. I don't know that, anyone who does know isn't about to post the budget spreadsheet here.

Outwith AC33, all recent cycles have had budget caps by proxy. Limits on hulls and other components built, limits on training periods etc. I wonder if scrapping those proxy limits and replacing them with a single budget limit might lead teams to making different decisions with more interesting results.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
pretty much, also if you are going to be asking for changes to boats/ foils rigs etc it actually gives a decent trash to see how well it all works far enough out that any new teams don't rock up with an unproven design concept
Cool, so like testing that new teams aren't invited to.

Am sure the two teams will openly share the data.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
The boat that wins a CSS in (for example) the UK may not be the best boat to take to a Match in NZ.
In theory but not, I'd say, in practice. Solent condition seem fairly similar to those we've seen in Auckland over recent months and wind limits can always be applied to exclude, say, the Solent's more boisterous moods.

Conditions on the south side of the Isle of Wight, that's another story.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Add to that ETNZ developing and training in home waters for the entire cycle, while the Challengers fight it out in a venue that has nothing to do with the Match venue. 

The boat that wins a CSS in (for example) the UK may not be the best boat to take to a Match in NZ. Unless there are very liberal component limits, the Challenger may have used up all their component cards before even getting to NZ. All their development will have gone into winning the CSS, and they may have neither the time nor the equipment options to re-gear for the Match.

Meanwhile, NZ is operating at home, and the entire teams sleeps in their own beds every night. No logistical costs and time out for shipping. Sure, you can set embargo periods where the Defender can't sail while Challengers are being shipped, but those are always serious bones of contention, and do not stop ongoing development.

Effectively, the budgets for each Challenger will be at least 50% more than that of the Defender.

It's like telling the All Blacks they have to prepare for the Rugby World Cup by climbing Everest while all the other teams play rugby.

It is a virtual guarantee that the Defender will retain the Cup.
Well said

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
unless Grant wants to put it on the line for the RTI with the caveat that if Jim wins it the defence is in Auckland with Jim picking up the tab..;)

Dreamland, like most your posts.