The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Last edited by a moderator:

jimmyuk81

UK
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-team-new-zealand-mulling-unprecedented-option-for-next-americas-cup/RQQMUDZR7YQTDJMUN3C4JE4JLA/?fbclid=IwAR0NUWi_J9z0IezSzw0SLSGJyEv_C6X4XVU3ukXTGn0bIjwH7ysvMlS4H1E

If the part about a Cowes AC match between the kiwis and Ineos next year is true, a lot of people will be grumpy, and Ben and Ratcliffe will loose a lot of whatever respect if left for them in the sailing world.

Much as I'd love to see AC75s racing in the Solent, I wouldn't want it to happen like that. Even as a Team UK fan, that would be a really shitty move - let's hope it's just a rumour.  

Now, an ACWS event next year would be fantastic!

Then of course we can look forward to Team UK defending on the Solent in 2029  :rolleyes:  (Living in hope...)

Or a Budget Cup? ;)
Winner gets one of these "American cups" ? 

79b04f6300e7ee39f52879823d0fab83.jpg

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Much as I'd love to see AC75s racing in the Solent, I wouldn't want it to happen like that. Even as a Team UK fan, that would be a really shitty move - let's hope it's just a rumour.  

Now, an ACWS event next year would be fantastic!

Then of course we can look forward to Team UK defending on the Solent in 2029  :rolleyes:  (Living in hope...)
I think a lot depends on the NZ Government willingness to fund another Defence. Auckland has been given 90 Days or 3 months to come up with something. That Plan will then be weighted against potential overseas bids including Portsmouth apparently and Dalton will take the better Deal.

strider470

Super Anarchist
POSSIBLE BULLSHIT AHEAD, so don't blame me later.
**** NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, JUST SPECULATION ****

To have your opinion on the matter

Ok, beware, this is fiction, not a rumour. but what if:

UK and NZ decide for a Match very soon, let's say in 1 year, in 2022, in these very boats with minor updates to version 1.5.

Not really a DoG match, but simply one not contemplating a Challenger series in the new mutual agreed protocol. Maybe to be held in UK, if the right bid for the venue is made from Ratcliffe.

In this way, GD can maintain his assets in ETNZ (design and sailing team) and the development of the boat is already there. NZ gains a ton of money from Ratcliffe for this chance and they both plan a subsequent normal AC in NZ (or the UK) 2 years later, in 2024, to maintain the usual scheduling for other subsequent challengers.

In this way, both NZ and the UK will be there with 2.0 boats and an edge compared to other challengers, and GD would have no problems with funding.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Next cup to be sailed in AC75s going backwards.

Since Te rehutai can foil at 75 knots in reverse  we will sweep the match 7-0!

Forza New Zealand!

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
POSSIBLE BULLSHIT AHEAD, so don't blame me later.
**** NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, JUST SPECULATION ****

To have your opinion on the matter

Ok, beware, this is fiction, not a rumour. but what if:

UK and NZ decide for a Match very soon, let's say in 1 year, in 2022, in these very boats with minor updates to version 1.5.

Not really a DoG match, but simply one not contemplating a Challenger series in the new mutual agreed protocol. Maybe to be held in UK, if the right bid for the venue is made from Ratcliffe.

In this way, GD can maintain his assets in ETNZ (design and sailing team) and the development of the boat is already there. NZ gains a ton of money from Ratcliffe for this chance and they both plan a subsequent normal AC in NZ (or the UK) 2 years later, in 2024, to maintain the usual scheduling for other subsequent challengers.

In this way, both NZ and the UK will be there with 2.0 boats and an edge compared to other challengers, and GD would have no problems with funding.
Oh NYSC here we come.....

They can go play boats where ever/whenever they like, just cant be linked to AC when it only the 2 of them and the other stakeholders and or potential stakeholders aren't invited, as per a "world championship".

strider470

Super Anarchist
Oh NYSC here we come.....

They can go play boats where ever/whenever they like, just cant be linked to AC when it only the 2 of them and the other stakeholders and or potential stakeholders aren't invited, as per a "world championship".
Why not? Having a Challengers selection is not required by the Deed, and as long as RYS challenge is valid, I think it could be a possible scenario.