The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
If this rule was in place from 2000 - would the landscape look different to how it is today ? Would Alinghi have won the AC on first attempt in 2003?
By all accounts there were similar rules in place but, as we'll likely see in the next cycle, everyone ups-sticks and goes to live in the country of the challenge. 

This Rule was clearly aimed at excluding the New York Yacht Club/American Magic from Competition but they probably would not have challenged anyways since they did not like AC75 Class anyways.
From what I've heard the 3 backers of AM were split in their opinions of the AC75 with Hap Fauth remaining unimpressed but De Vos becoming quite a fan - he was in NZ and onboard chase boats the whole time and got caught up in the action during the capsize/sinking. I'm not sure where Penske falls on this but if I had to guess I'd say the cross-over/similarities in tech and development between the 75s and motorsports might keep him onside...

A new Crew Nationality Rule will require 100% of the race crew for each competitor to either be a passport holder of the country the team’s yacht club as at 19 March 2021 

Might be a few sailors jumping on planes today...

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Nationality:

Jimmy can sail for LR, the US or Australia.

Ashby can sail for ETNZ or Australia

Slingsby can sail for the US or Australia (take note Amway Magic)

Outeridge is stuck with Aus as far as I know, unless picked up by an "emerging nation"

Dean can sail for NYYC or an NZ team - good luck with that

Basically you can only sail for the country that you have a passport in, or have been living in for the last 2 years, or the Yacht Club you were representing in Auckland 2021.

makes it hard for anyone that wants to buy a team
Also means Dalts has his boys fucked if they had been thinking of leaving.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
That is good news,  but how could they decide anything for more than a cup cycle in advance? They should say that they wish it. As much as I like the idea, I think it is not something permitted under the deed
I think its hypocrisy strider. When Orifice tried the same shit kiwis on these boards (including me) were rightly fucked off.

It's not about if they are good boats. It's about trying to force your vision on the winner of AC 37.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I'm not sure it's about controlling past this Cup (well at least not the main reason) it does make a lot of sense if you are trying to attract new teams though. Knowing that you can invest then carry that investment on into a second cycle will be a much better investment than a one and done affair. 

On the other hand it might also signal that the first cup will be held between two team who are happ to sign back up to the ac75 class no matter who wins for a second go round with a few more competitors, this souls also make sense with the one boat  only rule, not much time to build two boats if the next Am Cup is in 12-16 months around the Isle of Wight... 
Look, the Point is not if it makes sense or not.

The Point jaysper I am are making that is isn't Deed Compliant!

As I have said and I stand by it: If this is written into the Official Protocol of AC37 the NYYC will Challenge it in Court.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Maybe but pulling a stunt like this excluding a potential Competitor because that Competitor doesn't like the current Boat Class and making it a Condition for their Entry is a massive fraud in my view!
How is that "fraud"?? Winners make the rules, quite simple!! A condition of entry is perfectly enforceable so long as the Challenger and Defender mutually agree.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I'm not suggesting they can get away with it. I'm suggesting that if that is what they are trying to get away with, they are hypocrites.
Agree, the chalice has poisoned Dalts' mind. Not at all surprised and is why I had moved to preferring Prada take the Cup to new pastures.

The way this is shaping up, we may look back fondly on NYYC and how fair they were by comparison.

Kiwimatt

As I have said and I stand by it: If this is written into the Official Protocol of AC37 the NYYC will Challenge it in Court.
True potentially, although there is precident in having the same class of yacht for more than one cycle though. How did they manage to keep the IACC around for so many cycles? 

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Agree, the chalice has poisoned Dalts' mind. Not at all surprised and is why I had moved to preferring Prada take the Cup to new pastures.

The way this is shaping up, we may look back fondly on NYYC and how fair they were by comparison.
I don't think it necessarily changes the fairness of the competition.

However if it's what they are doing, it's just a dirty filthy trick.

Gissie

Super Anarchist

This ^. The fact they are even trying to do it, knowing it is not enforceable, is just bullshit. If the boat is so amazing it can stand on its own foil, no need for this crap.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland

Care to explain how "this isn't Deed Compliant"??

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
How is that "fraud"?? Winners make the rules, quite simple!! A condition of entry is perfectly enforceable so long as the Challenger and Defender mutually agree.
In the current Cup cycle, yes. But it cannot be enforced in any future Challenges, following an unsuccessful Defence.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Also means Dalts has his boys fucked if they had been thinking of leaving.

I think its hypocrisy strider. When Orifice tried the same shit kiwis on these boards (including me) were rightly fucked off.

It's not about if they are good boats. It's about trying to force your vision on the winner of AC 37.
Agree with all of this - the ETNZ boys are locked in, arguably the same for some of the INEOS crew. 

The level of hypocrisy from both ETNZ and INEOS is pretty rife but we can expect the usual cycle of behaviour between COR and Defender - start out chummy and get progressively more distant and combative the closer you get to the finals. I reckon Ratcliffe and BA are setting themselves up to become the new villains of the AC...

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I don't think it necessarily changes the fairness of the competition.

However if it's what they are doing, it's just a dirty filthy trick.
It does put pressure on any challenger. Win and face the prospect of a court challenge, even if unlikely, if you want to change the design.