The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Am not certain if the safety of RAK made it into any decisions (interesting question though, since like Zaal suggested it could set a precedent) but I am certain it came up at least orally before Justice Kornreich (spelling?) - who happened to be Jewish and as I recall it she at least expressed skepticism about the suitability of RAK.  
Yes I also recall that being reported. However I fail to see relevance to AC 37. For starters, there is no American challenger. Don’t want to go to Jeddah? Fine, don’t enter the Prada Cup (or whatever the challenger elimination is called this cycle). Nothing in the DoG protects a competitor who is neither Defender nor CoR.

Last edited by a moderator:

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Doesn't matter. It's the same entity. Which is a yacht club.
RYS and RYSL are both yacht clubs. They are not the same entity. That’s the whole point. You could sue RYSL and win a big settlement but it wouldn’t help you much because it has no assets to speak of. Nor could you lay hands on its officers property, because it’s a limited company. This is exactly why the challenger is RYSL not RYS.

But yes RYSL is a yacht club. It’s members are all members of the RYS (the converse is not true). It’s rules are the rules of the RYS. It has an annual regatta.

porthos

Super Anarchist
Michigan, USA
RYS and RYSL are both yacht clubs. They are not the same entity. That’s the whole point. You could sue RYSL and win a big settlement but it wouldn’t help you much because it has no assets to speak of. Nor could you lay hands on its officers property, because it’s a limited company. This is exactly why the challenger is RYSL not RYS.

But yes RYSL is a yacht club. It’s members are all members of the RYS (the converse is not true). It’s rules are the rules of the RYS. It has an annual regatta.
I get all of that. The issue I was responding to is whether RYS Racing, Ltd. and RYS, Ltd. are the same entity. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
So who wants to give money to a team that has an unspecified debt that could be called on at any point.

Seems a strange fact to spit out when you are asking for hundreds of millions to be thrown your way.

Or is it a threat form Dalts. Get me ousted and my mate will call in the bailiffs? Either way, a desperate way to get Dunphy out of the way of moving offshore.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I’ve a hypothetical DoG question. Suppose we had an accepted challenge. The defender says, OK, the match is to be in the Faroe Islands next July. It’s a DoG compliant venue and date. The challenger says no, we like dolphins. So what happens? Ultimately, it appears to me, in the absence of MC, the defender decides the venue, subject to hemisphere/date. Any other thoughts?

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Amazon, yes from my home town Seattle, has truly massive data centers across the Cascade mountain range from here, all hydro-powered from dams on the Columbia River. That power source is not ideal either (let's go, Fusion power!) but it's as close to idyllic as is possible for now.

Both Bezos and Gates are funding a variety of techs that could actually make fusion reactors a reality within a few years and the implications would be... well pretty f'ing stunning.

One example

Nuclear energy: Fusion plant backed by Jeff Bezos to be built in UK - BBC News  
My son is working on fusion power....  the holy grail of power, but massively difficult and they will get it eventually.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Will have given the transmission line folk heart palpitations. They can barely cover the power loads to Auckland now  and most of the 240kva lines need replacing.
Exactly. Made sense to put it in Bluff if that bloody smelter would make up its mind on when to go.

Or is that when the government of the day is prepared to not bow down to the threat of leaving. Shit, maybe Dalts has the riotinto negotiators working for him...

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Will have given the transmission line folk heart palpitations. They can barely cover the power loads to Auckland now  and most of the 240kva lines need replacing.
Amazon has been know for powering their distribution center with rooftop solar arrays.  Of course an IT center would require more power, but I would assume they have plans that will not destroy the local power grid.  They are committed to renewable power sources.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210623005093/en/Amazon-Becomes-Largest-Corporate-Buyer-of-Renewable-Energy-in-the-U.S.

https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/sustainable-operations/renewable-energy?energyType=true

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/sustainability/amazon-is-making-big-global-investments-in-renewable-energy

Remember, some of these huge Corporations have more money than God!

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
10 months and 90 foot box rule also starts.

Not a good thing if you are short on cash.
There's probably any number of cats around which could be chartered to whip that thing's arse. Dennis Conner could also be hired as a consultant.

Sounds like a winnable proposition to me. ;-)

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Would you want to live in Bluff, Gissie?
No way. But if you want to set up a server farm type thing it would be the green place. Cold with lots of power, once the smelter has gone.

Putting it in Auckland is about as non green a place you could find in NZ. Still, politicians care about Auckland a lot more than they care about Bluff, so that's where it will be. Lots of smoke blown up each others arses as we get rolled again.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Would you want to live in Bluff, Gissie?
$300k Kiwi roubles complete with smelter view what’s not to like.

7FAA4192-4579-415B-8774-2004B3B0BFD0.jpeg FE7C54DE-39EB-4295-82C1-705C4F65ADE0.jpeg

Comes with semi cognizant mayor. 

5FA5F575-4C75-466B-BECF-33DC06F084F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
I'm afraid that was a fantasy.  The court has no ability under the Deed to carve out an exception for dangerous places, or places that may be dangerous to some but not to others.  Just to be certain, however, I went back and looked at the SNG/GGYC litigation rulings, and there was nothing in those rulings related to venue except the previously-noted discussion about whether SNG got to pick the venue regardless of the hemisphere restrictions.

Edit: I do seem to recall discussions generally (and perhaps in the press from GGYC) that RAK may be a dangerous location, but none of that made it into the court rulings.
Ok thank you @porthos

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
“Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer.” Sun Tzu
Nice! But the wealthiest team as COR maybe is a little too close. Here a quote from Philip II the Macedon (Alexander the Great's father) : 

"No fortress that a mule laden with gold can reach is inexpugnable". And Ineos has a lot "gold"  :)  

Latest posts