The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Getting someone’s name wrong is a bigger deal than a simple word mis-spell.
Maybe, but the larger point SS was arguing was this:

Back in 1983, Bob Hawke and others stated A2’s victory over Liberty united the nation (Australia or ‘Big Island’ as the Kiwis often call it) like no other sporting event. 

In New Zealand it has a similar impact rivaled only perhaps by the All Blacks winning Rugby’s ultimate trophy and the scenes around the Auckland waterfront after Race 10 of AC36 were clear evidence as to what that win meant to ordinary Kiwis

Does Ms Ahern’s government not see that? 

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Getting someone’s name wrong is a bigger deal than a simple word mis-spell.
Really Accprick?

I'm name dislexic, and continuously spell Spinray, Pissy, Hangcock etc. wrong.

Spell check doesn't help, to the contrary, it just turned Accnick into something nasty, presumably it recognizes the forum hatred.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean too!

accnick

Super Anarchist
Really Accprick?

Spell check doesn't help, to the contrary, it just turned Accnick into something nasty, presumably it recognizes the forum hatred.

Well, you are a clever dick, for sure.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist

Back in 1983, Bob Hawke and others stated A2’s victory over Liberty united the nation (Australia or ‘Big Island’ as the Kiwis often call it) like no other sporting event. 

In New Zealand it has a similar impact rivaled only perhaps by the All Blacks winning Rugby’s ultimate trophy and the scenes around the Auckland waterfront after Race 10 of AC36 were clear evidence as to what that win meant to ordinary Kiwis

Think you will find Stinger that for the general population of Aotearoa matters AC are of very little importance.

Matters concerning health welfare having a job being able to pay the rent and putting food on the table have usurped those heady days you quote.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Think you will find Stinger that for the general population of Aotearoa matters AC are of very little importance.

Matters concerning health welfare having a job being able to pay the rent and putting food on the table have usurped those heady days you quote.
I do get that except when there are boats racing, especially the Match, almost everyone else is complety tuned out of anything-AC and tuned into more important things.

But I'd guess that the situation is even more pronounced in any other country than 'sailing mad' NZ and that, if they have the additional burden of building out facilities (oh, and funding GD's 'NZ' campaign too), well it's likely an even harder sell than in NZ.

SF was nuts, they went through review after review, all kinds of special interests wanted a bite out of it, even the 'mass transportation' and 'wetland restoration impact ' plans went on for months in SFBOS, it was almost astonishing that it happened. And once the interim facility they used, the new cruise ship terminal, got completed, well that was that. 

In Bermuda's case they had a bid in for just an ACWS event. When RC asked 'How would you like to have the whole shooting Match?' they were floored! RC likely didn't have many options either.    

Last edited by a moderator:

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA

That event, the mystery of the veiled keel, contemporaneous Australian colorful arts and ads made it a place foreigners including Americans really wanted to go see. Rollicking, fun loving, you name it. We flocked. 

Flash forward  to a series of races set off by sand, perhaps some terrorism warnings, intrusive visa requirements for would be visitors, rehashes of the "dismembering" murder, all set up by New Zealand because the host had money and was willing to sportswash its mixed reputation. 

Maybe people will go see the Middle East. I plan to see Egypt. But it won't  do squat to enhance New Zealand. 

"Hey didn't they sell out to MBS? Yeah. Well who cares if they are doing away with quarantine, all they got is sheep and geysers anyhow. And some boats trips but we can go to Scandinavia for that. Closer, too. "

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Really Accprick?

The dyslexic that can’t spell the thing they are using to defend their position? Hmm curious… 

yep it’s on my long list of “issues” too  but at least make the effort to not reinforce the stereotype. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist

I wonder what those scenes would have been like had they been told the truth. That the cup, the one fought for and sold on the concept of bringing it back home. The one defended using the trope the the Americas Cup is New Zealand's Cup.

If they had been told an offer of 99 mill to run a regatta, with all the shit going on, was going to be spurned. That the cup was pissing off to chase the money, never to return. Just might have been a different reaction that was seen.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Look for Dalton selling swag on Craigslist or ebay
The bloke that commissioned a 3-4million Fishing cat with 200bottle wine fridge? In the middle of Covid knowing the team has fuck all in the bank after the cup and loans to Matteo that they could hope to pay back? 

he ain’t selling shit even if the team were falling down around him. 

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
The bloke that commissioned a 3-4million Fishing cat with 200bottle wine fridge? In the middle of Covid knowing the team has fuck all in the bank after the cup and loans to Matteo that they could hope to pay back? 

he ain’t selling shit even if the team were falling down around him. 
Of course he will. Over-priced tat. Probably made in Chinese sweat shops. With Emirates branding and sold via another of his sponsors. 

https://themarket.com/nz/search?s=Etnz&sc=s

Still chance to fleece some more off kiwis before he takes it overseas to fleece someone else