The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
33 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:
You got it, mate!

Some of us have been saying essentially that barely 24 hours after the acceptance of the challenge was announced.  

Look at the situation in that light and it is a win-win for Ratcliffe and Dalton. The Britt gets his Cup match in Cowes next year (number of races still to be decided), then four years from now they meet again in Auckland with CSS to welcome all legit comers. None of that precluded by DoG conditions and just to be sure, six to eight months to iron out any legal tangles that threaten to interfere.

Brits and Kiwis get to compete in two challenges in four or five years and we get to watch.   Other Cup hopefuls still get to take part in normal CSS timeframe.
Expand  
But this is still sewing up the AC for 2 cycles, when you have only won it once.
But this is still sewing up the AC for 2 cycles, when you have only won it once.

Quite so.  Brilliant ain't it!  Nothing in the DoG to say it is prohibited

All covered by Mutual Consent.  Those who disagree can round up their legal talent, pile up their money bags and hie themselves off to 60 Centre St in Lower Manhattan and tear their hair out before the Supremes.

it will likely drag on for years and piss off a lot of hopeful challengers waiting in the wings, but there you are!

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist
Due to reduced sponsorship opportunities for ETNZ due to Covid, the NZ government should make a one off payment of 60 million to ETNZ.

Normally ETNZ should get its own funding, but it’s a unique situation at the moment. 
Problem is, ETNZ always finds themselves in the "unique situation" of having spent all their money when the cup is over, having no prospects of getting any sponsorship funding for months or years, and turning hat in hand to the government for bridge money to secure key personnel.

Pretty sure they've done it every cup cycle since 2003.

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
The cost for all the toxic waste remediation was definitely included, even if it has not yet been done. It's possible they ran out of time after taking so long to decide what to do in the first place.
Interesting.  If that is correct there are tens of millions of dollars earmarked in future council budget for remediation work.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Ok, I checked some things...

When Alinghi Won in 2003 and introduced the Louis Vuitton Acts in 2004 they were-non-binding meaning if you had your Challenge accepted you could choose to attend or not attend the Events in Marseille and Valencia. Luna Rossa Challenge & +39 Challenge did not attend the first Louis Vuitton Act in Marseille but raced in Acts 2 & 3 in Valencia a month or so later. The Louis Vuitton Acts did then became binding to race in the Louis Vuitton Cup for years in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Could we have a similar scenario on the Cards now with ETNZ & INEOS. There might be a World Series in Portsmouth for the Kiwis, Brits, Italians and Americans in 2022 and then in 2023 they become binding for all Teams including new ones.

One thing is for sure: There will be an Event in Portsmouth with the RYS being the Challenger of Record. Ratcliffe will not pass this by. Methinks it will be a World Series Event involving ETNZ, INEOS, LRPP and potentially AM (if the Americans challenge again)

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I don't quite understand why ya'll Kiwis hit the panic stations because Dalton might move the Cup out of New Zealand.

You can be assured that Grant will use the "Round the Island Race" as a last resort when all other negotiations with the NZ Government have failed.

We will have a clearer Picture in June methinks. Right know everything on the Venue is just pure speculation.

Meanwhile enjoy SailGP with Jimmy, Ben, Nathan, Tommy and Pete + The Ocean Race Europe if you are an Offshore Sailing Lover.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I don't quite understand why ya'll Kiwis hit the panic stations because Dalton might move the Cup out of New Zealand.

You can be assured that Grant will use the "Round the Island Race" as a last resort when all other negotiations with the NZ Government have failed.

We will have a clearer Picture in June methinks. Right know everything on the Venue is just pure speculation.

Meanwhile enjoy SailGP with Jimmy, Ben, Nathan, Tommy and Pete + The Ocean Race Europe if you are an Offshore Sailing Lover.
I'm not particularly upset about that. It's the attempt to set the class of boat for the next two cup cycles that has me pissed off.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I'm not particularly upset about that. It's the attempt to set the class of boat for the next two cup cycles that has me pissed off.
Sure, it's not pretty but it has some Pro and Cons to it. Pro = We need continuity with the Boat Class. If we go with a new Class yet again after two Cycles (AC36 & AC37) Participation will decline again. Con = It might get litigated.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Sure, it's not pretty but it has some Pro and Cons to it. Pro = We need continuity with the Boat Class. If we go with a new Class yet again after two Cycles (AC36 & AC37) Participation will decline again. Con = It might get litigated.
Let's be clear, it's a move worthy of Bertarelli or Ellison.

To not call this out after putting shit on this two would make me a hypocrite.

If ETNZ want to ensure continuity, they should try to win the thing not this shady shit.

Latest posts