The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I don't quite understand why ya'll Kiwis hit the panic stations because Dalton might move the Cup out of New Zealand.

You can be assured that Grant will use the "Round the Island Race" as a last resort when all other negotiations with the NZ Government have failed.

We will have a clearer Picture in June methinks. Right know everything on the Venue is just pure speculation.

Meanwhile enjoy SailGP with Jimmy, Ben, Nathan, Tommy and Pete + The Ocean Race Europe if you are an Offshore Sailing Lover.
I agree. I really don't think the Cup is going anywhere. It simply gives Dalton leverage for negotiations for the next cycle. 

I think Team NZ both, want to hold the Cup in NZ, and are, or will be in a position to do so without Government assistance, which gives Team NZ leverage when it comes to negotiating Hosting fees with the Government. I think the Government offered $5 million as an investment. An investment in tourism, an investment in the Marine Industry and an investment in innovation and excellence. No doubt the Government also has leverage in existing, purpose built infrastructure, with an eye to extending that infrastructure for the next Defence. 

I personally don't think Daltons plays the same "trick" every Cup. I think its the reality of a Cup campaign. As Grant Simmer said "if you manage your campaign correctly, you run out of money the same time as you run out of time. I think the budget is spent by the end of every cup cycle. Thats just the way it is with the Americas Cup. Starting again isn't easy when the budget is exhausted. Every Cup cycle, ETNZ has had to sell themselves again, and again to sponsors, to advertisers, and to the Government. All options must be open when negotiating for hosting rights, including taking the event overseas.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Problem is, ETNZ always finds themselves in the "unique situation" of having spent all their money when the cup is over, having no prospects of getting any sponsorship funding for months or years, and turning hat in hand to the government for bridge money to secure key personnel.

Pretty sure they've done it every cup cycle since 2003.
Yep and unlikely to change

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
He is, but if you lose the Cup and don't exhaust your budget, questions are naturally going to be asked about why the resources you had available weren't used.
This is a very different/difficult Situation for all involved because of the COVID Pandemic. Will Emirates try to sponsor Team New Zealand for AC37? I have my doubts given that Dalts is so desperately looking for cash since they won the Cup.

It's going to be harder for Dalton to poach the Government for more money because of the Pandemic and the whistleblower stuff that came out last June. Looks like to me the Government still want some answers from him that he hasn't given them.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I agree. I really don't think the Cup is going anywhere. It simply gives Dalton leverage for negotiations for the next cycle. 

I think Team NZ both, want to hold the Cup in NZ, and are, or will be in a position to do so without Government assistance, which gives Team NZ leverage when it comes to negotiating Hosting fees with the Government. I think the Government offered $5 million as an investment. An investment in tourism, an investment in the Marine Industry and an investment in innovation and excellence. No doubt the Government also has leverage in existing, purpose built infrastructure, with an eye to extending that infrastructure for the next Defence. 

I personally don't think Daltons plays the same "trick" every Cup. I think its the reality of a Cup campaign. As Grant Simmer said "if you manage your campaign correctly, you run out of money the same time as you run out of time. I think the budget is spent by the end of every cup cycle. Thats just the way it is with the Americas Cup. Starting again isn't easy when the budget is exhausted. Every Cup cycle, ETNZ has had to sell themselves again, and again to sponsors, to advertisers, and to the Government. All options must be open when negotiating for hosting rights, including taking the event overseas.
Cup Indsider says Dalton wants 50M$, not 5M. That person described the 5M as a little "Drop in the Bucket" to quote that person compared what Ratcliffe would offer him. Ratcliffe can fill ETNZ Financial Coffers basically all by himself if he wants to + fund potentially the CSS. That's a huge bargaining chip.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
My understanding is that much of the ground under the tanks was full of toxic waste and so that had to be remediated at a high cost. That cost was most definitely included.

The works done by the council were not what ETNZ, or the marine community wanted. The plan from ETNZ would have cost slightly more but resulted in 50 % more retained infrastructure in the form of Super yacht facilities, of which Auckland is very short. Instead the council sought to load up cost for which they were liable onto the America's Cup bill, despite a lesser return. There was also a threat of legal action against the council by some very wealthy property developers if they didn't get their own way which definitely influenced the council. In short the council discharged some of their cost & billed it to the America's Cup, despite that diminishing the infrastructure return, and also avoided action from some wealthy bully boys.
No toxic waste apart from the dredgings from the seabed for the AC bases was trucked from the Western Reclamation.

The decontamination has been put off until a future date as any remediation didn’t suit the AC timetable.

Photo of the Viaduct and Western Reclamation with the harbour bridge build in progress.

EB2737FB-C91B-45E0-9C67-147526871CFA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
P-class, Wellington to Picton.
Phillippa has been there and done that (almost).

"For someone who had just set a record by sailing the notorious Cook Strait in a 2.3m dinghy, 14-year-old Hope schoolgirl Phillippa Wood was pretty blase Monday morning.

She said the 5 1/2 crossing from the outer Marlborough Sounds took as long as she had expected but was "quite hard towards the end". "I'm a bit tired still."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/490755/Small-boat-conquers-Cook-Strait

One to watch for the future.

Nutta

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Phillippa has been there and done that (almost).

"For someone who had just set a record by sailing the notorious Cook Strait in a 2.3m dinghy, 14-year-old Hope schoolgirl Phillippa Wood was pretty blase Monday morning.

She said the 5 1/2 crossing from the outer Marlborough Sounds took as long as she had expected but was "quite hard towards the end". "I'm a bit tired still."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/490755/Small-boat-conquers-Cook-Strait

One to watch for the future.
Cool, we've found our Skipper for AC37... Should sort out the "gender balance" for the perpetually offended.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
while BA and his "Rat" friend will have a glorious moment to let the Brits smell the mug after 170 years. 
I'm afraid your metaphor doesn't quite work. It's been in the UK in fairly recent times, twice I believe. After a Maori protester remodelled it with a sledgehammer, it was repaired in London. Also IIRC it was in Cowes for the 1851 Cup, held off Cowes in 2010. 

strider470

Super Anarchist
6 hours ago, sfigone said:
I think it is a too much to say that it was only bad luck that LR lost....  However,  it was at least plausible that LR could have won it, albeit with a bit of luck.

After the first 3 days, it was 3-3,  but I think with the conditions and race track, if LR had one a few more starts it could easily have been 5-1 (yes that goes both ways).  Then of the racing after that, LR was in with a good chance of winning at least 2 of the races it lost, with just split second decisions making the difference.

Moreover, if COVID had not delayed the start, then TR may have been even less sharp at the start of the regatta.

So while ultimately it was probably a comfortable win, it was probably a lot closer that NZ had expected and they had at least a little bit of a concern.

They didn't win it with luck, but with a touch of bad luck NZ could have lost it.
Expand  
Yeah. That's a bit more like the regatta I was watching. ;-)
And to be completely honest, if it is true that LR hasn't been exremely lucky in more than a couple of crucial moments during racing, it is also true that ETNZ were really unlucky to have never had the chance of racing in their preferred wind range.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Oh good, it isn't just us then. Someone else has sniffed the turd.
Interesting, as I suspect Commodore Christopher J Culver of the New York Yacht Club is in effect confirming this is a serious possibility, not just a random rumour on SAAC. 

Repeating the link previously posted https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-new-york-yacht-club-commodore-slams-talk-of-one-off-americas-cup-match-between-team-new-zealand-and-ineos-team-uk/TD7SMUSX7Q5AACSJ2P7XICD4KM/

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
And to be completely honest, if it is true that LR hasn't been exremely lucky in more than a couple of crucial moments during racing, it is also true that ETNZ were really unlucky to have never had the chance of racing in their preferred wind range.
Generous as always, Strider. ;-)

strider470

Super Anarchist
It is absolutely "Inconceivable" to hold a Challenger Selection Series next year unless you want the same Teams who competed in Auckland. New Teams would have no chance making it.

The Protocol for AC37 probably gets published between September and November this year. Then you have to have a proper Entry Period which usually lasts 6 months, say from 1st January 2022 until June 30th 2022. After that any new Teams would need to built their Boat which takes about 7-8 months. The earliest they could have a CSS is in 2023.
I was thinking of something different. Immagine if ETNZ prepare (and sell for big money) a standard package for new teams in order to compete in 1 year. Something like updating or replicating some B1, selling them ready to race. New teams could have a huge interest. They can use the 2022 AC37 AC as a boost to ther AC38 campaign. More or less what LR did in AC 34, when they bought the package from NZ. Of course with the standard package it will almost impossible to win AC37, but they will have a relly good chance for the AC38.

Latest posts