The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
Probably still  ongoing. They have massive computing power and might have caught up a bit. LR spent over 55 million euros on software so they might well have some good stuff. There will be masses of data teams will still be going through. Rig control - foils - control systems and laying down initial concepts for B3's so as Jazmart said - busy times at Portsmouth for the next 8 months
A lot depends how you use data. Ask any accountant. :lol:

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
True but if and only if there are other teams out there with the considerable funding needed to do that.  Unclear that is true.

As a thought, can they in fact stay put in Auckland? Who owns/controls the team bases and what agenda might they have?
The council I think. Make money. From the sounds of it they have read the "GD's quide to making money from the Cup" 3 times.

Dave S

Training camps work well for the, French. One of the reasons why they're world leading ocean racers.

But it's not the smart way to design development. Two boat testing is old school. Simulators, AI and Bots are now where it's at. Much cheaper and quicker, once the software is developed. 
I agree to a point, but there must be some reason the boats have developed so quickly over the course of the last few months. Whether it's optimising the boat, learning how to race it against someone else, or learning what works in practice and what modes are useful (Luna Rossa high mode), it's clear that there's currently no substitute for getting out on the water and getting stuck in against another boat.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
I agree to a point, but there must be some reason the boats have developed so quickly over the course of the last few months. Whether it's optimising the boat, learning how to race it against someone else, or learning what works in practice and what modes are useful (Luna Rossa high mode), it's clear that there's currently no substitute for getting out on the water and getting stuck in against another boat.
Still hear on occasional "that didn't model well" in areas where modelling software has been super developed.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
The council I think. Make money. From the sounds of it they have read the "GD's quide to making money from the Cup" 3 times.
I dare say but how would they make most money? Building housing on brownfield sites is favourite around here. Industrial use, less so.  Given Auckland housing prices, the same may apply?

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
The right criticism out of the wrong reasons, but needed anyway.

"And when a challenge from a Club fulfilling all the conditions required by this instrument has been received, no other challenge can be considered until the pending event has been decided." (Deed of Gift of the America's Cup)

SailingAnarchy.de   
https://twitter.com/SailAnarchyde
Thanks Renn.  That could be a show-stopper.

The intent is clear but does it fit the situation we're discussing here?

The wording is sufficiently imprecise that any barrister worth his salt could drive a truck through it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
I dare say but how would they make most money? Building housing on brownfield sites is favourite around here. Industrial use, less so.  Given Auckland housing prices, the same may apply?
Not sure about NZL but I think it is similar. Down here there are large chunks of council owned land set aside for public use that cant be sold off.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
If it were the Americans against the British, in a race around the Isle of Wight, it would have been a rematch of a classic event. This is only a farce, and a cash cow for ETNZ.
It would be a great event, I would love it, it would be tremendously interesting and soooo traditional... As long as a UK team would be the Defender.
A Kiwi Team defending in British or any foreign waters is not right. It's simply not honorable.
(I know, Alinghi and Oracle... I hated them for the same reasons too.)

Thanks Renn.  That could be a show-stopper.

The intent is clear but does it fit the situation we're discussing here?

The wording is sufficiently imprecise that any barrister worth his salt could drive a truck through it.
I have no idea how a court case would turn out (who has?). But from my perspective are any possible AC38 agreements in the AC37 protocol moot.

The event I'd like to see in the Solent next year is a series with two boats made available to many teams.

They could use B1 of NZ and Ineos, pimped with new foils and sails to make them closely matched.     Teams would need to qualify on simulators and other foiling boats, but then a round robin series could be done with each team being allocated a random boat for each day of racing.   Maybe LR and AM could also provide their first boats as well.

This would be a great spectacle and would allow a lot of sailors to get some experience in the class, hopefully including youth and female sailors.  Teams that are considering a challenge can test the waters before committing to building a boat.  

Also a round the island fleet race would be a great spectacle.

But all of this should be class development and nothing to do with AC37!

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
The event I'd like to see in the Solent next year is a series with two boats made available to many teams.

They could use B1 of NZ and Ineos, pimped with new foils and sails to make them closely matched.     Teams would need to qualify on simulators and other foiling boats, but then a round robin series could be done with each team being allocated a random boat for each day of racing.   Maybe LR and AM could also provide their first boats as well.

This would be a great spectacle and would allow a lot of sailors to get some experience in the class, hopefully including youth and female sailors.  Teams that are considering a challenge can test the waters before committing to building a boat.  

Also a round the island fleet race would be a great spectacle.

But all of this should be class development and nothing to do with AC37!
Yep, would be a nice dog and pony show. Fuck all value as anything else.

Dave S

Well it's all just speculation at this stage, but no one speculates better than SAAC  :D
Absolutely! Remember, this is the forum that correctly figured out the design of Cheesezilla from little more than a couple of aerial photos of an empty boatyard taken by a forumite...

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Absolutely! Remember, this is the forum that correctly figured out the design of Cheesezilla from little more than a couple of aerial photos of an empty boatyard taken by a forumite...
The Y and a white plastic chair.

Too many posts to argue with. Ineos and ETNZ media releases quite different. Ineos just happy to be in the game. 

I don't see how ETNZ will make money from a one off in England. No challenger has ever seriously funded a defender. No defender has ever willingly risked losing the cup on a one off. Agreeing to the class is always a condition of entry, unless you're willing to do a proper DOG match. Chill, there's years of intrigue to come

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist
Definitely a warning shot from the NYYC there, but just as surprising to see them endorse the AC75.

I have mixed feelings about American Magic and the NYYC, but anyone thinking their voice doesn't carry a lot of weight in these issues and particularly if it comes to a legal fight is kidding themselves.

Especially now that they've been in the game with a really full on challenge (however disappointing) for the first time in a while.

Thewas

surprising to see them endorse the AC75
Not that much: their boat was likely the fastest around in a straight line (and a pretty interesting concept) and I'm sure they already have some good ideas (and money) to put some serious stuff on the water.

No challenger has ever seriously funded a defender
Well, the list of stuff that LR paid in the last couple of cycles tells a quite different story.