The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

trt131

Super Anarchist
I find it hard to believe that so many Kiwi fanboys really do think INEOS would defend in Auckland.  Its as if they believe TNZ is unbeatable.  INEOS are not so dumb to think they dont have a real shot, I bet their development has not stopped but has been ramped up considerably.  They might surprise a few NZers.  Of all the fanboys I think Clarkey has the best handle on the bridging event.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I find it hard to believe that so many Kiwi fanboys really do think INEOS would defend in Auckland.  Its as if they believe TNZ is unbeatable.  INEOS are not so dumb to think they dont have a real shot, I bet their development has not stopped but has been ramped up considerably.  They might surprise a few NZers.  Of all the fanboys I think Clarkey has the best handle on the bridging event.
You think INEOS has a shot? I'd say NO and neither have other Challengers. As long as we continue with the AC75 Class the Kiwis are going to win! Their Design Advantage is just too big IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Looking in reality at the final results the Royal barge was a fucking shocker coming second in the Prada Cup contrary to all the puff and bluster thank god the Handbags made the AC match otherwise the whole regatta would have been a total embarrassment unfortunately in true British fashion ie still looking for Mallorys camera it's only encouraged them to continue.

They brought a Corgi to a gunfight :p

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I really don’t think INEOS as they are, with their current iteration of AC75 has a chance. I think they would get completely blitzed by Te Rehutai. They would need to build a brand new boat, which is what they would do if the 1 on 1 race happens.   I think there are a few things that need to happen for INEOS to be successful. Ainslie to step away from the helm. Let guys like Dylan Fletcher, Leigh McMillan, Paul Campbell James and Chris Draper take over. Let Giles take on a coaching role like Ray Davies has. The days of the old school match racer are over. The days of the seat of the pants, instinctive, Olympic sailor are here now. Ainslie needs to step into more of a management role as opposed to a sailing team role. 

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I really don’t think INEOS as they are, with their current iteration of AC75 has a chance. I think they would get completely blitzed by Te Rehutai. They would need to build a brand new boat, which is what they would do if the 1 on 1 race happens.   I think there are a few things that need to happen for INEOS to be successful. Ainslie to step away from the helm. Let guys like Dylan Fletcher, Leigh McMillan, Paul Campbell James and Chris Draper take over. Let Giles take on a coaching role like Ray Davies has. The days of the old school match racer are over. The days of the seat of the pants, instinctive, Olympic sailor are here now. Ainslie needs to step into more of a management role as opposed to a sailing team role. 
I agree with you for the most Part but Ben Ainslie isn't that good at Manager/CEO either.  

I think Grant Simmer is the problem! He needs to be jettisoned and Ratcliffe needs to get more activly involved. He needs to buy that entire Mercedes F1 Design Team who won 6 Constructors Championships and let them get to design the new Boat.

The reason why INEOS was able to turn around their dismal Christmas Performance was Mercedes. These Smart Guys over in Brackley, UK figured out what was wrong with the Boat.

But you are right, racing in the AC75 has become a young mans Game!

These Olympic Medals are totally irrelevant now. Ben is 44 years old. I agree with @Forourselves, Ben needs to give away the wheel!
And Bruni? he's older and has no medals.

I think Ben needs to give away the management role, and focus on the driving - look at Spithills performance in Bermuda. Jimmys sailing this go around was much better.

Deano was done after 2013, ETNZ made the hard, but right call there. He would be a hero now if he stayed and coached, instead of the pariah he is now.

Wussel, he's 59! guy would need a zimmer frame to helm an AC75. He's old enough to be Burlings dad!

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
These Olympic Medals are totally irrelevant now. Ben is 44 years old. I agree with @Forourselves, Ben needs to give away the wheel!

Oh bollocks. 

Deano for sure, but Ben still has a couple of cups left in him. More if they're going to be every couple of years.
Jimmy's proven that being the 'wrong' side of 40 doesn't mean it's game over for being an AC helm and BA showed pretty strong form in the only SGP event of 2020 so I think it's too early to count him out completely.

BA's mistake was trying to wear too many hats in 36; either stay on the wheel and leave the Management roles to someone else or keep your fancy office but hand off the helm to someone else. IMO he needs to hand off the management because the whole INEOS structure needs a shake-up and someone new in the hot seat to drive development and manage that team structure. 

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
BA's mistake was trying to wear too many hats in 36; either stay on the wheel and leave the Management roles to someone else or keep your fancy office but hand off the helm to someone else. IMO he needs to hand off the management because the whole INEOS structure needs a shake-up and someone new in the hot seat to drive development and manage that team structure. 
Spot on.

I agree with you for the most Part but Ben Ainslie isn't that good at Manager/CEO either.  

I think Grant Simmer is the problem! He needs to be jettisoned and Ratcliffe needs to get more activly involved. He needs to buy that entire Mercedes F1 Design Team who won 6 Constructors Championships and let them get to design the new Boat.

The reason why INEOS was able to turn around their dismal Christmas Performance was Mercedes. These Smart Guys over in Brackley, UK figured out what was wrong with the Boat.

But you are right, racing in the AC75 has become a young mans Game!
I think INEOS needs a shake up, but I'd keep Simmer and jettison Holroyd.

Ran out of ideas in 2013, and was just piggy backing on ORTUSA in 2017.

Rita 2 was in the ball park, but rudimentary compared to TR and LRPP, and couldn't figure out why all the bits didn't work together - as head of the design team it's his job to make sure all the bits work together.

Latest posts