The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
I think INEOS needs a shake up, but I'd keep Simmer and jettison Holroyd.
I agree about the shake-up but perhaps not the person who should go. Maybe I'm being naïve here but what did Simmer actually bring to INEOS this time round?

He didn't bring the money in. He didn't lead the design team. He was supposed to manage the organisation but it was plagued with internal politics that resulted in delays in development that arguable cost them the chance to challenge (this is reference the interview with the French INEOS designer that talked about all the push back from members of the sailing team)....

strider470

Super Anarchist
Easily? I think that's an overstatement but yeah would have won. Jimmy and Francesco too.

Dean and Hutch? Not convinced. They were very weak.
It was intended as a compliment to Ben. And these boats are not as physical as a dinghy. As long as they remain agile enough to swap side after a tack/gybe, I don't see any problem for older helmsmen. The age is more related to foiling / apparent wind attitude that lack in the older generation. Not Ben's case, though.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Reaction time increases with age from 25 onwards. A proven physiological fact, unfortunately.
Whilst that might be true, it has been proven pretty conclusively in F1 that even their champion drivers do not have particularly exceptional reaction times.

Where they differ from ordinary people is their ability to anticipate what will happen and that is shown to deteriorate much later and slower.

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Do we believe this? 

Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,” he told The Telegraph.

strider470

Super Anarchist
Do we believe this? 

Ratcliffe, worth a reported $34b as founder and co-owner of petrochemicals giant Ineos, said he wouldn’t be funding the deed of gift challenge.

“Absolutely not. I want to be clear about that. Because that would be sort of like buying the Cup into the UK and I don't think that's appropriate,” he told The Telegraph.
Then I would not understand why GD is even considering the proposal

strider470

Super Anarchist
indecent proposal.jpg

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
start and finish at southampton  around the isle of white and back

a little over 100ks course

finish in around 2 hours per race

would be an interesting spectacle and plenty of places to view it from

should be a class race meet not an am cup race series

Last edited by a moderator:

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
Do we believe this? 

Then I would not understand why GD is even considering the proposal
It doesn't seem to make any sense if Ratty isn't paying for the event (and for ETNZ as well as INEOS!). You can see why he might feel it would be seen as buying the Cup. It's only a rumour and already that is the criticism.

However the other possible element in the equation is Origin Sports Group. They are the sports investment and management group who Dalton got to oversee venue bidding. Origin stem from Team Origin, a UK syndicate put together with Ben Ainslie with plans to challenge for the AC after 2007, at the end of the IACC era. They might think that they could raise the money if there was enough hype, and they would then front the event. There would always be a way of Ratty putting some money in without it looking like he was running the whole shebang.

Speculation, but hey this is SAAC and the thread is 'news and rumours'!

IMO it's most likely an Is. of W. DoG won't happen. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: