The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
However the other possible element in the equation is Origin Sports Group. They are the sports investment and management group who Dalton got to oversee venue bidding. Origin stem from Team Origin, a UK syndicate put together with Ben Ainslie with plans to challenge for the AC after 2007, at the end of the IACC era. They might think that they could raise the money if there was enough hype, and they would then front the event. There would always be a way of Ratty putting some money in without it looking like he was running the whole shebang.
Origin Sports Group is Keith Mills' baby. I don't believe it has anything to do with Ratcliffe. What diplomatic relationships are like between those two, I don't know. Wary, at a guess.

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
Origin Sports Group is Keith Mills' baby. I don't believe it has anything to do with Ratcliffe. What diplomatic relationships are like between those two, I don't know. Wary, at a guess.
The connection would be Ainslie, and that it was the group involved with Dalton's venue hawking.

My speculation is entirely ungrounded :) , but Mills' group is a sports event promoter which isn't really Ratty's business. That's why I was imagining it might be a mutually beneficial scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Isn't Mills another of Ainslie Cup victims. Didn't he blow a large chunk of his fortune on shipping a load of redundant IAAC yachts and gear from Valencia to Cowes, buy the bad boy a TP52 to play and then found out he would need twin hulls for SF. I guess he is still trying to find a way back in.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Isn't Mills another of Ainslie Cup victims. Didn't he blow a large chunk of his fortune on shipping a load of redundant IAAC yachts and gear from Valencia to Cowes, buy the bad boy a TP52 to play and then found out he would need twin hulls for SF. I guess he is still trying to find a way back in.
Yes all of that can be personally pinned on Ben... 

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
That would be the reason it is possible that Ratcliffe isn't on Mills' Christmas card list. 

LCS Carbon

Flags
Home
Reaction time increases with age from 25 onwards. A proven physiological fact, unfortunately.
I could see how you would think that :)

image.png

Brady with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2021
No. 12 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Position:    Quarterback
Personal information
Born:    August 3, 1977 (age 43)

Last edited by a moderator:

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
In that Sail World article, Mark Jardine includes LE and Oracle in the 'rumoured to be interested' category alongside EB....

Anyone else heard about this? That would be a turn-up - Larry could get Jimmy back and skin the rest of the AM crew from under Terry's nose.
It is all guesswork at the moment. And don't forget it was Mark Jardine that posted that ETNZ had hit 62 knots which I am sure made Dalts chuckle.

Easy to write the protocol to exclude those you don't want. Remember for AC36 there was a clause that the challenging club had to be equitably supported by all the members and LE had reportedly bailed GGYC out financially. I wonder how many sailors there are good enough with a Swiss passport on 21 March 2021?

Still a lot of detail to come out and anything that hasn't yet been released by the RNZYS or RYSR is pure speculation and even some of their releases are mere possibilities.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
ETNZ is playing the media ----Cup will not be defended anywhere else but Auckland

UK DOG Its not going to happen (Even if ETNZ were serious its not practical before 2025 or 2026  --why ? COVID and all the future waves is the blocker --there is no workarounds)
That's not actually 100% correct. BUT for it to be defended elsewhere there are several things that would have to happen. 1) RNZYS would have to accede to that. They are the cup holders and current trustees 2) someone, a city or a city's sponsor would have to make it financially viable in the first place and financially worthwhile to RNZYS defender (most likely ETNZ) in the second place.

And 3) If people thought Coutts and Butterworth were unpopular when they 'defected' to Alinghi just how unpopular would ETNZ and RNZYS be with the rest of New Zealanders if they allowed the whol Cup circus to up sticks to another location.

AC36 was not the cash cow for the New Zealand economy it was in the past purely because of COVID. Before the borders closed more than enough superyacht owners had expressed they would be coming and other tourist avenues were also expecting full occupancy.

I think, not only would it not be a good look if the Squadron or their team did a Valencia or a Bermuda for AC37 but that the New Zealand government would be ill advised(economically) to let them get away.

So d2ba, you are not 100% correct with your post but only because you never know just what a politician is thinking or what he/she will do.

It could be defended somewhere else but in my opinion, and in line with the traditions of The Cup, it should be defended in New Zealand in the home waters of the defending club just like it has for it's whole history except on very rare occasions. I'm fine with World Series being close to challengers water but The CUp itself should be a 'Home tie'.

Just my opinion of course

SS

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Oh bollocks. 

Deano for sure, but Ben still has a couple of cups left in him. More if they're going to be every couple of years.
Big Bad Dennis was 45 when he won it back, 46 when he sailed the Cat but he faded after that and the reactions needed on an AC Class boat were somewhat less than on an AC75. Besides by the time the next Cup comes round Sir Ben will be 48 or 49. Perhaps his value would be more as a mentor or a coach. GBR is not short of quality younger sailors who would have 3-4 years to practice getting to grips with the AC75 

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
I wonder how many sailors there are good enough with a Swiss passport on 21 March 2021?
More than enough with their D35 and foiler fleet. And again, the crew does not make much difference, unless for the kiwis who only have sailors, the designers make the difference.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Thank you, well that's cheerful for those of us over 25, possibly quite a lot over. 
Owen Parker, Ted Heath's sailing master (and author of the excellent read "Tack Now Skipper") was still racing well into his 60's (perhaps even 70's) but he was sailing as a tactician, not helmsman so there is hope for us yet dogwatch

Latest posts