The Atlantic's vital currents could collapse...by James Temple MIT Tech Review

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
This is really terrifying to contemplate. As is the ice shelf news a couple days ago. No wonder the Gen z1 are not having children. I personally suffered from Shroedinger Syndrome today on account of all of it.

mgs

canoeman
maine
Sadly I don’t have time to read all that. But remember being taught years ago that If the ocean currents shut down it will help cool things down. It’s just a big reset button. We will notice the implications, but from a geological standpoint it’s all cyclical and not that noteworthy 

PaulK

Super Anarchist
Sadly I don’t have time to read all that. But remember being taught years ago that If the ocean currents shut down it will help cool things down. It’s just a big reset button. We will notice the implications, but from a geological standpoint it’s all cyclical and not that noteworthy 
Tell that to the lobstermen whose catch is down because of warmer, not cooler, water.  Catch is down each year over the past 3 years, with rising temperatures, despite almost 3 million traps out 

https://www.maine.gov/dmr/commercial-fishing/landings/documents/lobster.table.pdf

We are going to do more than notice the implications.  We are going to suffer the consequences.  What is sad is that like "Don't Look Up" shows, people don't want to know.  

mgs

canoeman
maine
Tell that to the lobstermen whose catch is down because of warmer, not cooler, water.  Catch is down each year over the past 3 years, with rising temperatures, despite almost 3 million traps out 

https://www.maine.gov/dmr/commercial-fishing/landings/documents/lobster.table.pdf

We are going to do more than notice the implications.  We are going to suffer the consequences.  What is sad is that like "Don't Look Up" shows, people don't want to know.  
Catch is down, but price is up. Lobstermen are keeping their boats in longer this year because the catch is good. 

I believe it is an issue don’t get me wrong, and one we have more than a hand in. My point is that the earth has a means of dealing with rising temps. Ocean currents shut down. Warm salt water from the Med stops making its way down to the south atlantic, which eventually means the Gulf Stream shuts down which lets the Arctic freeze again. The problem, from the human perspective, is that it works on a long timeframe. 

A3A

Manmade or not, Climate Change is happening and we'd be better served to stop arguing about how to limit a 1.5 degree increase and spend the time and money hardening our infrastructure against more severe weather events. 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Manmade or not, Climate Change is happening and we'd be better served to stop arguing about how to limit a 1.5 degree increase and spend the time and money hardening our infrastructure against more severe weather events. 
I say run for the hills. "harden?" Good luck. (I know it is a figure of speech)

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
written by a clickbait columnist, not a scientist
Methinks you may be a bullshitter. The MIT caught my eye. He was a columnist at the SF Chronical back when, then the guy has at least 4 pages of Google references before I lost interest. That's more than I have. You?

WillyT123

Weather events are a nuisance. At the rate things are going, we're staring down the barrel of a complete ecological collapse. 

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
We're all gonna die

download2.jpg

(sorry, had to)

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Weather events are a nuisance. At the rate things are going, we're staring down the barrel of a complete ecological collapse. 
Seems so. I kinda doubt there's much we can do about it now, if there ever was. Eons from now we'll be known as the Humanoid Period to planetary visitors in eco-travel.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
1960 was the real chance to act...in the 80s I wondered what woukd happen when China got cars.

Now we know.