The Biggest Problem

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
No. Races that you can mostly fast forward through until the marks (or wish you could) because nothing to see other than a boat a few hundred meters ahead of the other. 

You can see an onboard camera of helmets, but nothing very interesting to see as they mostly grind away.  

Looks like SailGP but with better boats and sailing.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Interesting that the one meaningful thread at the moment, bombed. But think about it: if GD wants money - and more than last time - from the NZ Government, he has to deliver the six challenging teams that he previously carpetbagged. And no, Covid had nothing to do with the turnout

Ditto for the Arabs who would have to shell out an even larger amount but who, contrary to popular opinion, are no fools.

Now, with a strict interpretation of the new Prot and exceptions to the 100% crew nationality requirement applied only to the likes of Team North Korea [but what about France, btw?] how many Challengers will there be in addition to the CoR and LRPP? That’s why the requirement is simply unenforceable

Also, note his is just the first step in order to get a decent turnout. The second is an early declaration of how much simpler/cheaper AC75V2.0 will be. And this cannot wait until the mooted (by Jack Griffin ) design symposium to be held during the 2022 event, at least the guidelines MUST be stated asap

Last edited by a moderator:
A part of not enough teams is surely not enough coverage/exposure. 
I’m in WA, from the launch of the design to the final series it did not make free to air telly. Not the news, current affairs or sport. Nothing. 
Who would sponsor that ?

G

A part of not enough teams is surely not enough coverage/exposure. 
I’m in WA, from the launch of the design to the final series it did not make free to air telly. Not the news, current affairs or sport. Nothing. 
Who would sponsor that ?
Outside of  the SAAC the reality is that its not that big at all. When I say The World Cup, everyone understands that I mean Football (Soccer to our US friends) and that coverage/media exposure is total. The rich mens pissing match has hardcore followers but outside of the bubbles, not much. If NZ lost the cup, no one would give a rats until they started winning in the challenger series, mainly because we are so parochial and have to believe we are the best at everything, that and the boofhead rugby culture that get transferred to the cup event.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Outside of  the SAAC the reality is that its not that big at all. When I say The World Cup, everyone understands that I mean Football (Soccer to our US friends) and that coverage/media exposure is total. The rich mens pissing match has hardcore followers but outside of the bubbles, not much. If NZ lost the cup, no one would give a rats until they started winning in the challenger series, mainly because we are so parochial and have to believe we are the best at everything, that and the boofhead rugby culture that get transferred to the cup event.
Hush you heathen. Such sacrilege. Where are my pitchforks and torches.

This is the most amazing, well watched sport in the universe.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Growing numbers will be difficult. In the old days - design, build practice race.

Now design, test, redesign, retest. Get the high powered computers fired up and run the simulators. Sit and see how boat works, redesign, re test simulation.

Finally build boat, loaded with sensors so your AI can give you lessons on where you went wrong.

Not the sort of game for the light hearted. Without all the high level tech help a new team would be an embarrassment. Losing by 20 minutes is not a good look for anyone.

G

We take ourselves way to seriously!

Last edited:

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Interesting that the one meaningful thread at the moment, bombed. But think about it: if GD wants money - and more than last time - from the NZ Government, he has to deliver the six challenging teams that he previously carpetbagged. And no, Covid had nothing to do with the turnout

Ditto for the Arabs who would have to shell out an even larger amount but who, contrary to popular opinion, are no fools.

Now, with a strict interpretation of the new Prot and exceptions to the 100% crew nationality requirement applied only to the likes of Team North Korea [but what about France, btw?] how many Challengers will there be in addition to the CoR and LRPP? That’s why the requirement is simply unenforceable

Also, note his is just the first step in order to get a decent turnout. The second is an early declaration of how much simpler/cheaper AC75V2.0 will be. And this cannot wait until the mooted (by Jack Griffin ) design symposium to be held during the 2022 event, at least the guidelines MUST be stated asap

WOW,

It is not fair from you to blame Grant Dalton for only having 3 Teams in Auckland this time.

LRPP should be blamed for that. They made it as hard as they could for further Teams to participate while Dalts was helping the DutchSail Team + S&S in every way to make it. Remember the late Entry Fee spat between ETNZ and LRPP!

This already has changed as ETNZ and INEOS already have stated that they will help new Teams to make the Start Line!

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I think you would find about 80% of Kiwis eyeballs would have been on the cup this time.
Do you remember the programmes available back then. Would have been a blessing to have something else. :lol:

Actually I watched this one in Hong Kong.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
WOW,

It is not fair from you to blame Grant Dalton for only having 3 Teams in Auckland this time.

LRPP should be blamed for that. They made it as hard as they could for further Teams to participate while Dalts was helping the DutchSail Team + S&S in every way to make it. Remember the late Entry Fee spat between ETNZ and LRPP!

This already has changed as ETNZ and INEOS already have stated that they will help new Teams to make the Start Line!
It is not the CoR's job to get teams to the series. Their job is to represent them once they are there. They have a responsibility and a duty to represent the teams entered, to keep the competition as fair for those already there, as they can.

It was GD's job to get teams to the event, BECAUSE HE TOLD THE NZ GOV HE WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

I think you would find about 80% of Kiwis eyeballs would have been on the cup this time.
actually no not that many. big danger being in the bubble- we are all in it. Meanwhile in the real world there are lots of people who dont give a flying fuck about the AC

Latest posts