The Dam in November - 2009 METS Show

MR.CLEAN

Mer and I are heading over to one of my favorite cities in the world, the beautiful canal city of Amsterdam. It's the location of the Marine Equipment Trade Show, which bills itself as the largest exhibition of equipment, material, and systems for the marine leisure industry. The pictures and stories I've heard of METS make it out to be something of a candy shop for gadget-loving sailors, the place where most manufacturers introduce their new products for the next calendar year.

I know Amsterdam well - most of my Europe trips over the past decade have included a mandatory stopover there. But I rarely remember much about it, and Mer's never been there, so if you have any tips on the city that you think are worth sharing or an insider's view to what METS is like, please let us know. We'll certainly keep you posted with what we find there, and get shots and videos of all the good bits.

We leave Saturday and stay for a week.

Link to METS page.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

fan

Super Anarchist
San Diego
I'm interested in this as well. I leave Sunday for a Medical show in Dusseldorf but I have a 14 hour lay over in Amsterdam. I arrive 6pm and fly out at 8am. I have a 1 star hotel for the night in the heart of the red light district. Should be intersting haha

Tigger12

Anarchist
I know Amsterdam well - most of my Europe trips over the past decade have included a mandatory stopover there. But I rarely remember much about it, and Mer's never been there, so if you have any tips on the city that you think are worth sharing or an insider's view to what METS is like, please let us know. We'll certainly keep you posted with what we find there, and get shots and videos of all the good bits.Thanks in advance for your advice.
For what it is worth...

The Van Gogh Museum is worth the trip all by itself. The paintings are even more vivid in real life--I just stood there in awe with my mouth hanging open. And, at that time of the year you probably will not have any issues with lining up to get in.

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp

Same for the Rijksmuseum.

http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/

The Anne Frank house was extremely moving. I'm sure most have read the book--but to see where it all took place was really chilling.

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=2

The Concertgebouw is one of the world's great orchestras. Not cheap though.

http://www.concertgebouw.nl/English

Looking to get out of Amsterdam? I really enjoyed Utrecht--vibrant university town. Perhaps not so vibrant in December though! If Mer is an architecture buff, Rotterdam is the post-modern capital of Europe. Amsterdam survived the war unscathed, whereas Rotterdam was bombed into oblivion and replaced rather than re-built much of what was destroyed.

BigUnit

Anarchist
Back home
I can't believe no one has made a comment about your penchant for weed and/or recent arrest yet.

Try to do at least one piece to camera from a coffee shop completely off your chops. It'll piss off so many people it would be criminal not to.

This is a truly serious show and gets seriously busy. I have been attending ( from Oz ) since 2005 and am always blown away by the diversity of products on show. Having said that I still can't believe the number of fender manufacturers ! Many distributors use it as a meeting point for their agents and as an exhibitor ( German HQ'ed company ) we don't get many tyre kickers amongst the trade people who attend.

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
For you. Mr Bigglesworth, it will be frickin' freezing! Bring a beanie.

Go to the Vondel Park, eat Mussel Soup, have Poffertjes for breakfast, stroopwafels with your coffee and make sure you tee lots of mosterd with your Old Amsterdam kaas. Go to the street markets but avoid the uitsmijter and have patat met instead!

Zebadee

UK
If your looking for smoking accomadation, lookup amsterdam cribs. They provide small self catered flats for short stays that you can smoke in (obviously for after your show visit).

They have a couple of locations around the city, one next to the red light district. Perfect if you dont want to sit in coffee shops.

As for things to do, a boat trip is always highly recommended as a great way to see the city...with minimal effort.

Food / beer is cheaper the further you go away from major squares or locations, when i was there in the summer beer from around dam square was 7 euros a pint.....thats ridiculous! But moving away from there it was the norm of 3 - 4 which is liveable.

Enjoy!

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
........I have a 1 star hotel for the night in the heart of the red light district. Should be intersting haha
Unless you like empty shopfronts or skanky slags with wrinkly dugs you will be sadly disappointed! The sex museum round the corner is worth it just to pick up giggly girls but after seeing 4' long black dildos in the shop next door they will feel particularly let down by you!

MR.CLEAN

I can't believe no one has made a comment about your penchant for weed and/or recent arrest yet.
Try to do at least one piece to camera from a coffee shop completely off your chops. It'll piss off so many people it would be criminal not to.
There are definitely some video surprises in store for the forums. Has anyone ever done a boat show report on hallucinogens?

STSailing

Super Anarchist
There are definitely some video surprises in store for the forums. Has anyone ever done a boat show report on hallucinogens?

I'm thinking this one is going to be interesting... :p

daanzap

as an Amsterdam resident I can recommend the kromhout museum.

http://www.machinekamer.nl/museum/engels.html

If you like music there is a good jazz jam session in de engelbewaarder every sunday afternoon.

it at the

Kloveniersburgwal 59hs

1011 JZ Amsterdam

There are too many nice bars to put in one post.

Cafe de Zwart is a very nice old bar on the spuiplein.

Have a good time!

laserichard

Super Anarchist
glad to see the ed's got you on lock down after your latest antics... lucky bastard!

- great time of the year to go, as there wont be many tourists

- Stay away from lame touristy coffee shops in dam square

- Haarlem is cool

- Torture museum is twisted but very fascinating

- Is the Heineken tour back up? last time i was there it was closed for renovation

- like vegas, dont try to fly out before noon. you wont make your flight

- OTWA Cocktail Coffee & Spliff hour interviews?