The debate over assault weapons

G

Just got complicated:

Texas shooting suspect's choice of guns complicates debate over assault rifles

But Friday's shooting at Santa Fe High School, which left 10 dead, was carried out with a pistol and a shotgun - firearms that even gun-control advocates generally regard as utilitarian.

The reality that weapons not included in proposed assault-rifle bans can still exact a double-digit death toll further complicates a wrenching national debate about how to prevent future tragedies.

"That's true" that weapons other than assault rifles can kill many people at once, conceded Avery W. Gardiner, co-president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which favors a federal ban on assault rifles but not on shotguns or pistols.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-texas-school-shooting-gun-debate-20180520-story.htm
A basic shotgun and a .38 revolver was used and he killed as many people as Aurora CO fuck-boy did with an AR-15 and a 100 round drum mag.  When do we ban these too?

What's interesting is that NO ONE is talking about the explosive devices they found in and around the Santa Fe HS after the shooting.  

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
"That's true" that weapons other than assault rifles can kill many people at once, conceded Avery W. Gardiner, co-president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which favors a federal ban on assault rifles but not on shotguns or pistols.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-texas-school-shooting-gun-debate-20180520-story.htm
That red part is hugely surprising if true. I doubt it's true. I suspect they support DiFi's bill, for example, which has whole sections on both shotguns and pistols and which bans the Intratec TEC 22. Which is a .22 handgun, for those who don't know.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
Does an ordinary .22 rifle count as an assault weapon?
It depends upon who's definition you use.  The point that y'all have lost the bubble on after Tom's incessant, but accurate rambling is that attempting to define the legality of a thing based upon aesthetic and unimportant factors is a fool's errand.   

"Corvettes are race cars - cars that can do 200MPH shouldn't be allowed on the streets, that's not safe".   I agree - going 200MPH on the streets ISN'T safe, but, we don't outlaw 'Vettes 'cause they can do it. 

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Who's the dumfuk who created another gun thread? Nevermind, I should have known. Can someone start a GoFundMe for Jeff so he can get some help for his OCD?

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
It depends upon who's definition you use.  The point that y'all have lost the bubble on after Tom's incessant, but accurate rambling is that attempting to define the legality of a thing based upon aesthetic and unimportant factors is a fool's errand.   

"Corvettes are race cars - cars that can do 200MPH shouldn't be allowed on the streets, that's not safe".   I agree - going 200MPH on the streets ISN'T safe, but, we don't outlaw 'Vettes 'cause they can do it. 
I'm still fuzzy on the concept.  Tom mentions "ordinary .22s" which means there has to be un-ordinary ones. 

I'd like to see a few more photos of .22s-- both kinds-- to really understand his beef

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
This thread is here, because, well, the first 1000 threads about guns on this forum weren't enough. Or something.

J28

Super Anarchist
Just got complicated:

A basic shotgun and a .38 revolver was used and he killed as many people as Aurora CO fuck-boy did with an AR-15 and a 100 round drum mag.  When do we ban these too?

What's interesting is that NO ONE is talking about the explosive devices they found in and around the Santa Fe HS after the shooting.  
Actually there were no funtional explosive devices.  They were just decoys.  In one case just a gas cylinder wrapped in duct tape.

You are absolutely correct in that a duck hunting shotgun and a typical mid-20th century police sidearm were able to create the carnage they did.  There is no plausible gun control scenario short of confiscation that targets (sorry) those firearms.  Hell, Biden said folks ought to buy a shotgun if they need protection and there is video of Obama shootin’ one of them!

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I'm still fuzzy on the concept.  Tom mentions "ordinary .22s" which means there has to be un-ordinary ones. 

I'd like to see a few more photos of .22s-- both kinds-- to really understand his beef
Good point.

There probably are extraordinary .22's. I'm really not a big expert on the subject. I'm just of the opinion that the ones we own are rather ordinary.

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
Shootist Jeff said:
This is probably an example of an extraordinary .22 in the hands of a teenager.  But she's less likely to be able to shoot up a skool with it than even tom's ordinary one.  

IMG_8516.jpg
Negative, Ghost Rider. That looks like an ordinary target  .022.   

If Tom is going to keep talking about ordinary .022s I need to see some extraordinary ones. 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Negative, Ghost Rider. That looks like an ordinary target  .022.   

If Tom is going to keep talking about ordinary .022s I need to see some extraordinary ones. 
Well, OK. Ones like this are considered dangerous and unusual by Florida TeamD grabberz:

marlin-assault-rifles.jpg

And here's a .22 that's considered dangerous and unusual by TeamD grabberz in the US Senate:

P1250328-600x400.jpg

Those are the same pictures I use to describe our .22's.

Because whether they are "ordinary" weapons that are OK for civilians to own or "extraordinary" weapons that are too dangerous and unusual for civilians (you know, like stun guns) depends mostly on whether one is TeamD or not.

The fact that you looked at my pictures and thought you were looking at ordinary .22's instead of realizing you were looking at dangerous assault weapons that must be banned probably means you are somewhat mentally defective. Not a full blown gun nut, but toeing the party line on banning (assault weapons, ordinary .22's) is an important tribal test.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I first learned about the Intratec TEC 22 in marketing material found here.

Never heard of it before, but now that I know it's a naughty assault weapon, I kind of want one.

So I went to gunbroker.

That raised more questions than it answered. They seem to range from a couple hundred to about $600. Several of the ads tout "pre-ban" weapons.

I don't know which ban they're talking about but I'm Uncooperative enough to want to go around it by default.

I see that some have threaded barrels and someone is selling a "vented barrel shroud" which I think is a kind of shoulder thing that goes up.

Last edited by a moderator: