The debate over assault weapons

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
So you think that car owners should be held liable for a criminal's actions if their stolen car was used in a crime or accident??

Please, edumacate me on how that would work exactly.
I said I'd be up for that bargain and I'm pretty sure your question is rhetorical because you've argued on behalf of such laws for guns, but it'd be like anything else where liability is an issue: If harm happens because reasonable precautions --- as defined by some new law --- are not taken then the owner gets dinged civilly or criminally depending.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
mail
June 22, 2022

The XXX.XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Trenton, FL XXXXXXX

Dear XXX. XXXXX
Thank you for contacting me regarding your thoughts on gun violence. Understanding your views on this matter helps me to better represent the people of the Second District of Florida.

I am deeply saddened by the heinous acts of violence that continue to occur in our country. Whether it be an attack on a school, place of worship, night club, or gang violence in our inner cities or on our southern border, it is clear that more must be done to protect the safety of the American people.

Please know that this is an issue that my colleagues and I take very seriously. During the 116th Congress (2021-2022), I supported the strengthening of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, President Trump banned bump stocks by executive order, and a uniform framework for state-level concealed carry law was established. I supported policies to significantly increase resources for school hardening programs, local law enforcement, and mental health services aimed at vulnerable young people, and will continue to do so. I was also proud to support the STOP School Violence Act which was ultimately signed into law in 2020. This law helps institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, supports school violence prevention efforts, provides training to school personnel and students, and implements evidence-based threat assessment. This Congress, I am a proud cosponsor of H.R. 7966, STOP II, the Secure Every School and Protect our Nation's Children Act, which builds off the measures enacted in 2020.

I share your desire to stop acts of violence and I grieve for those and their families who fall victim to gun violence. However, I do not believe we can allow the heinous acts of criminals to be used as justification to sacrifice your constitutional right to keep and bear arms. New restrictions on lawful gun ownership may be successful in stopping the law-abiding from exercising their rights, but very ineffective in stopping madmen and terrorists from carrying out their malicious intentions. Thank you again for writing me; I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
mail

Neal Dunn, M.D.
Member of Congress

Please do not reply, this is an unattended mailbox. To contact me please click here . Thank you

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Tom and Jeff just like to ignore the 50 times someone has explained to them the difference between a gun and a car. At this point, I would just say they are too stupid to figure it out.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Tom and Jeff just like to ignore the 50 times someone has explained to them the difference between a gun and a car. At this point, I would just say they are too stupid to figure it out.
Oh, I'm well aware of the differences. I'm also well aware of the similarities too. Something you seem to dearly lack.

For example, irregardless of it's primary design intent - a car or truck in the hands of a human bent on malicious intent is an amazingly effective and efficient tool of mass murder. For instance, the Nice, France box truck goat fucker terrorist killed 86 people in 5 min, whereas it took the Uvalde shitbag gunman over an hour to kill 22 with an AR-15 locked into a room with little kids with no interference from the cops for that whole time.

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
Oh, I'm well aware of the differences. I'm also well aware of the similarities too. Something you seem to dearly lack.

For example, irregardless of it's primary design intent - a car or truck in the hands of a human bent on malicious intent is an amazingly effective and efficient tool of mass murder. For instance, the Nice, France box truck goat fucker terrorist killed 86 people in 5 min, whereas it took the Uvalde shitbag gunman over an hour to kill 22 with an AR-15 locked into a room with little kids with no interference from the cops for that whole time.
fuck off

The most blatantly ignorant part of this bullshit is, that a vehicle is designed for transportation and a firearm is designed to kill things...

But you know that right ??

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
I think we can all agree that today is a sad day in America. The Senate confirmed Steve Dettelbach to run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 48 to 46. He is the first confirmed director since 2015. There is visibly less freedom within our shores. Tom and Jeff will be along shortly to lead a moment of silence.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
There is no debate about assault weapons, it is argument.
There is NO reason that a citizen should own, or hold an assault weapon. NONE. Period.
A 5-6 round magazine hunting rifle for people with valid hunting licenses, fine.
An AR15 is not a hunting rifle, unless your quarry is children in class rooms, or shoppers in stores, or parishioners in church.... Add to that parade goers, and concert attendees....

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
There is no debate about assault weapons, it is argument.
There is NO reason that a citizen should own, or hold an assault weapon. NONE. Period.
A 5-6 round magazine hunting rifle for people with valid hunting licenses, fine.
An AR15 is not a hunting rifle, unless your quarry is children in class rooms, or shoppers in stores, or parishioners in church.... Add to that parade goers, and concert attendees....

Or unless your gov't goes rogue, steals an election by storming the capital with an armed mob, overturns legitimate elector ballots, hanging the VP and a comical buffoon installs himself as the Supreme Emperor. Remember, ARs and the like work very well too against racist white extremists/supremacists and grifting opportunists should they ever come to power.

I suspect these militias are not interested in willingly turning over their weapons:
1657664950812.png

1657664992662.png

1657665121276.png

Just saying

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
I think we can all agree that today is a sad day in America. The Senate confirmed Steve Dettelbach to run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 48 to 46. He is the first confirmed director since 2015. There is visibly less freedom within our shores. Tom and Jeff will be along shortly to lead a moment of silence.
Why would that make me sad?? I want good leadership at the BATF and I want the org to do their job. Besides, maybe having less chaos there will make the approval of my tax stamp items go quicker.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Well, I would assume that where you $pent your $peech (hi Tom!) would be an indication of your preferences.
My bad. I'll do my turns.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Dude, those groups you picture above ARE the ones working to overthrow the government and install a buffoon like Trump as dictator. The fact they hate liberals and most everyone else is all the more reason to force them to give up their arms. If you haven't watched today's J6 session you should and if time is limited just fast forward the sections where the former Oath Keepers guy speaks.

Ain't nothing polite about that "society". Clear and present danger.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Dude, those groups you picture above ARE the ones working to overthrow the government and install a buffoon like Trump as dictator. The fact they hate liberals and most everyone else is all the more reason to force them to give up their arms. If you haven't watched today's J6 session you should and if time is limited just fast forward the sections where the former Oath Keepers guy speaks.

Ain't nothing polite about that "society". Clear and present danger.
Uhhh, you might want to go back and look at those pics a bit more closely.......

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Uhhh, you might want to go back and look at those pics a bit more closely.......
Then why don't you fucking label them? I see of bunch of heavily armed people with no markings or insignia. Considering I just spent 3 hours watching today's J6 commission I am not in the mood for some dogballs bullshit. Or crap about how every Tom Dick and Harry can own assault weapons. Bonus for watching a couple minutes of the school in Ulvade in which a bunch of heavily armed guys hid from a shooter while he murdered children. I have zero issue with police having tactical gear (even though a bunch aren't worthy of it) and am saddened I live in a country that has made it necessary. It doesn't have to be that way. Bonus Bonus: a realtor friend was worried about a showing so I accompanied her with my 1911 in a zippered document case so it was very available yet not obvious. I have been a gun owner longer than you are old and have zero interest in an AK/AR anything. And if necessary then fuck your feelings.