The debate over assault weapons

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
No, you can’t handle the truth. Lax gun laws lead to dead kids.
To the extent that might be true, I'd say drug wars lead to a lot more dead kids, yet people elect a stupid drug warrior President and ignore those deaths. You want to stop ignoring them? I posted about LOTS of politically inconvenient "mass shootings" right in this thread. Heck of a lot of them occurred where there are strict gun laws. Most seemed "gang" (read: stupid drug war) related.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
This isn't a simple mistake of calling a "Magazine" a "Clip". This is stating that the AR -15 bullet is FIVE TIMES FASTER than any other bullet (AS A FACT)! Where the FUCK does that come from? Either he makes shit up, or he is truly SENILE and can't remember his talking points for more than one minute. Which is it? If he wants to SERIOUSLY debate gun violence, he needs to know, and be able to discuss the FACTS!
Heh. If facts mattered to grabbers, they wouldn't be grabbers, now would they?

Fact is, characteristics of lethality like that don't matter. If they did, someone might point out that battlefield .22's are not all that great for militia use. Not me, of course. I'm done making that argument. But if there were, hypothetically, a fact-based grabber in the world, it might matter to him that Joe says stuff like that. There are no such people, they just want to ban lethal guns that fire one or more rounds, as the constant use of suicide stats to argue for gun bans shows. By "lethal guns that fire one or more rounds" they mean "guns."

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Bongo the gorilla has a problem. Well, two of them. First, a group of hyenas armed with coconut cannons is invading his village and snatching the residents’ cupcakes. To make matters worse, Bongo wants to shoot the invaders with his own coconut cannon, but some of his peacenik animal neighbors want to outlaw all cannons, instead. When the cannon-control advocates get pelted with coconuts in a hyena attack, Bongo pulls out his arsenal and shows them the error of their ways. The best way to stop a bad cartoon animal with a gun is with a good cartoon animal with a gun.

Tom, you need this book.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The Largest-Ever Survey of American Gun Owners Finds That Defensive Use of Firearms Is Common

The survey results indicate that Americans own some 415 million firearms, including 171 million handguns, 146 million rifles, and 98 million shotguns. About 30 percent of respondents reported that they had ever owned AR-15s or similar rifles, which are classified as "assault weapons" under several state laws and a proposed federal ban. Such legislation also commonly imposes a limit on magazine capacity, typically 10 rounds. Nearly half of the respondents (48 percent) said they had ever owned magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Those results underline the practical challenges that legislators face when they try to eliminate "assault weapons" or "large capacity" magazines. The survey suggests that up to 44 million AR-15-style rifles and up to 542 million magazines with capacities exceeding 10 rounds are already in circulation.

Those are upper-bound estimates, since people who reported that they ever owned such rifles or magazines may have subsequently sold them.

So Beto's going to take 44 million guns?

I think that estimate may be low, but it depends on how the question was worded. My experience here suggests not very many people even know that battlefield .22's are "AR-15-style rifles" because so few actually read legislation instead of press releases.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
No, you can’t handle the truth. Lax gun laws lead to dead kids.

So, the cops catch these FELONS with a GHOST GUN. With Felony Warrants?! And then get let out on low bail? And Hairgel doesn’t have a problem with that? And I have to go through a background check and pay an extra fee every time I buy ammo? And I can’t handle the TRUTH?

So, you don’t care that my rights are being trampled? Having to pay an extra fee for my right to buy ammo? How about the state charges you an extra $5 for the tube of Anal-Ese, and they’ll say it’s to combat AIDS?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
So, you don’t care that my rights are being trampled? Having to pay an extra fee for my right to buy ammo? How about the state charges you an extra $5 for the tube of Anal-Ese, and they’ll say it’s to combat AIDS?
What's an extra fee but just another tax? Meh.

You'd have to ask Mikey, as he knows everything, but from my knowledge of HIV, the virus really wants blood contact for transmission,(why intravenous drug users are even more at risk) and the reason it hit gay men especially hard is that anal penetrative sex creates micro tears in the rectum. So, lube would actually be a way to lower the transmission rates. It's been awhile since we've been saturated with that sort of public health info however, as our anti-virals are so damn good someone with HIV can live a pretty normal life, and not pass on the virus. At least in blue states where the anti-virals are easily available. And yes, living near SF in the 90s we got quite the education about HIV in the local press.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
So, you don’t care that my rights are being trampled? Having to pay an extra fee for my right to buy ammo?
They delight in anything that burdens gun ownership, so yes, he cares, but not in the way you'd like.

And if it disproportionately burdens minorities, that's also more of a feature than a bug. That's why there's no negative reaction to stop and frisk targets having their lives ruined just for exercising their right to possess a gun. In TeamD dominated places, that's not a right at all, it's an indicator of impending criminality, which is why possession is treated as a violent felony.

And if that disproportionately means minorities will have trouble voting, getting jobs, getting housing, and other things, well, that's a feature and not a bug too. That's what Gungrabbiness Uber Alles means. Nothing is more important, certainly not black lives.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
It also absolves individuals of the LIABILITY FOR USE by others. So if your roommate steals your keys and bypasses your 'secure gun storage' and uses your gun to holdup a liquor store, you're totally good. But if your roommate steals your keys and runs over a little old lady with your car, well that's what you have liability insurance for.
Two firearms stolen in burglary at home of L.A. mayoral candidate Karen Bass

She says they were locked up but someone bypassed her secure gun storage.

Should she be liable for whatever criminals might get caught doing with her stolen property?

Two firearms stolen in burglary at home of L.A. mayoral candidate Karen Bass

She says they were locked up but someone bypassed her secure gun storage.

Should she be liable for whatever criminals might get caught doing with her stolen property?
She should be publicly shamed for having an inadequate gun safe and allowing her guns to now be on the street.

Hiding your guns in the locked top drawer of your nightstand does not qualify as "secure gun storage"

She should be banned from future gun ownership.

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
a long way from home
Fuck your second amendment. What about kids rights to go to school and not worry about being shot?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
fuck off. seriously... to compare one to the other.... fuck off.

It also absolves individuals of the LIABILITY FOR USE by others. So if your roommate steals your keys and bypasses your 'secure gun storage' and uses your gun to holdup a liquor store, you're totally good. But if your roommate steals your keys and runs over a little old lady with your car, well that's what you have liability insurance for.
About time someone told Olsonist to fuck off with his weird, made-up view of the law.

1663288535981.png

mikewof

mikewof
I don't drive drunk, I'm disgusted by people who do drive drunk. I have spent my life being responsible with alcohol, and integrating alcohol into my life in a safe way that doesn't endanger the safety of others.

Back when I was a kid, people used to drive drunk a good bit, it was just the way it was, and as long as they didn't create a danger, they tended to get away with it. But then, the problems of drunk drivers continued, innocents were killed by drunk drivers, and then all of us "safe drunks" had to pay for the sins of the drunk drivers.

We then found ourselves in the country where blood alcohol as low as 0.02 or even 0.00 is enough to incur a DUI, and this has expanded to boats, planes, dirt bikes and tractors. It has reached the point where us drivers and drinkers who have been responsible for our whole lives, now have to pay for the sins of a small number of drunk drivers.

Kinda sucks.

But it's the way things go, where shit gets out of control; the innocents have to pay for the inequities of the sinners.

Latest posts