The debate over assault weapons

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
I don't drive drunk, I'm disgusted by people who do drive drunk. I have spent my life being responsible with alcohol, and integrating alcohol into my life in a safe way that doesn't endanger the safety of others.

Back when I was a kid, people used to drive drunk a good bit, it was just the way it was, and as long as they didn't create a danger, they tended to get away with it. But then, the problems of drunk drivers continued, innocents were killed by drunk drivers, and then all of us "safe drunks" had to pay for the sins of the drunk drivers.

We then found ourselves in the country where blood alcohol as low as 0.02 or even 0.00 is enough to incur a DUI, and this has expanded to boats, planes, dirt bikes and tractors. It has reached the point where us drivers and drinkers who have been responsible for our whole lives, now have to pay for the sins of a small number of drunk drivers.

Kinda sucks.

But it's the way things go, where shit gets out of control; the innocents have to pay for the inequities of the sinners.
Yes, of course you are right, it is a slippery slope. I try to make party arrangements where my guests are allowed only two drinks. I make them check their AK's with my security and then they go through a metal detector followed by an invasive pat down. One can't be two safe with crazies like you running around shooting squirrels with a gun firing bullets that can travel 2 miles.

mikewof

mikewof
Yes, of course you are right, it is a slippery slope. I try to make party arrangements where my guests are allowed only two drinks. I make them check their AK's with my security and then they go through a metal detector followed by an invasive pat down. One can't be two safe with crazies like you running around shooting squirrels with a gun firing bullets that can travel 2 miles.

To be clear here, I've given the example of drunk driving laws as a kind of parable to what we now apparently need to do with guns.

I am remarkably safe with my guns, to the point that JBSF and others here have ridiculed me for the way that I keep the ammo and guns in entirely separate locations. But there are people who are not safe with their guns, and there are even psychopaths who gain access to guns and kill innocents.

The "gun guys" continued refrain is something to the effect of "we are safe with our guns, why should we have our rights restricted for a relative handful of crazies?" Yeah, and I am safe with my alcohol, but now I can't even step near my dirt bike in some areas of the country if I have had a single beer in a too-large can. I have to now pay for the sins of the sinners, regardless than I haven't sinned.

A parent once said "if one of the kids in my yard hits another kid with a stick, I am going to take away all the sticks from the kids and tell them all to fuck off to bed." Is gun-control fair? Maybe, maybe not, but it's apparently what we need to do to change the trajectory of how our country now interacts with guns ... it seems to have shifted from healthy to unhealthy, and that seems to require action.

LB 15

Cunt
1663644355541.png

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Congressman Chris Jacobs, TeamR, (NY-27) introduced the Federal Assault Weapons Licensing Act, legislation designed to put in place additional protections on accessing battlefield .22's and other suitable militia weapons.

The Federal Assault Weapons Licensing Act would create a new licensing system for any American seeking to purchase a new assault weapon – anyone who already owns an assault weapon at the time of enactment would be grandfathered in. The licensing process would require an individual to take a mandatory safety course, pass an FBI background check, submit fingerprints, and provide proof of identity. This license would need to be renewed every five years if an individual wants to purchase or obtain additional assault weapons.

If an individual fails to pass a background check at the time of purchase, disqualifying information becomes available, or DOJ finds an individual poses a threat to themselves or others, their license can be withdrawn. Importantly, this bill will also increase the availability of information on criminals that the FBI draws from when conducting a background check. The bill also contains protections for the privacy and constitutional rights of license holders.

The bolded part is pretty funny, so nice to see that he at least has a sense of humor.

He didn't provide a link to his actual proposed legislation so I just assumed that it includes battlefield .22's because that's what modern "assault" weapons bans around the world do.

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
Another thing the Court addressed,

" ,,,
In its order Thursday, the Supreme Court ordered the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to revisit its 7-4 ruling last year that upheld California’s law banning magazines that hold more than 10 bullets. The order adds to the San Diego-based lawsuit’s lengthy path through the courts
,,, "

The LCM bans go in the toilet where they belong.

WA state passed one which went into effect in July.

The result? hundreds of thousands standard capacity mags sold in June.

D

Deleted member 149385

I’m totally against these types of bans, they usually don’t end well.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I’m totally against these types of bans, they usually don’t end well.
I don't know where, exactly, you get the idea that they don't end well.

Generally speaking they are ineffective, because you can drive 30 minutes into the next state and buy what you want. Unfortunately that is a result of the federal government being ineffective in addressing the issue due to Republican obstructionism, so the states are left to fend for themselves.

But I offer my "thoughts and prayers" for those who have experienced gun violence.

D

Deleted member 149385

Another thing the Court addressed,

" ,,,
In its order Thursday, the Supreme Court ordered the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to revisit its 7-4 ruling last year that upheld California’s law banning magazines that hold more than 10 bullets. The order adds to the San Diego-based lawsuit’s lengthy path through the courts
,,, "

The LCM bans go in the toilet where they belong.

WA state passed one which went into effect in July.

The result? hundreds of thousands standard capacity mags sold in June.
All of these bans are going away… and soon. How’s D.A.B.T.L?

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
All of these bans are going away… and soon. How’s D.A.B.T.L?
You are right, with the Supreme Court no longer being representative of the majority of the people in this country, we will likely continue to see an erosion of past precedent. The only tenuous benefit is that people are getting very, very angry with the republican minority.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Generally speaking they are ineffective, because you can drive 30 minutes into the next state and buy what you want. Unfortunately that is a result of the federal government being ineffective in addressing the issue due to Republican obstructionism, so the states are left to fend for themselves.
The federal ban on cannabis would be an example of an effective federal ban.

Or we could use the one on alcohol.

Or, for that matter, state and federal bans on shooting kids. You still think my gun ownership is somehow causing kids to die, right? If you don't still think that, I'll happily apologize.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist

Eleven Russian soldiers killed in mass shooting by fellow volunteers​

Source: The Guardian

At least 11 people were killed and 15 more wounded at a military training ground in the Belgorod region in south-western Russia on Saturday when two volunteers opened fire on other troops, the Russian defence ministry has said.

The ministry said in a statement that the two shooters were nationals from a former Soviet republic and had been shot dead after the attack.
According to Baza, a Russian news site with close ties to the police, the shooting took place at 10am local time during shooting practice.

Saturday’s mass shooting points to growing tensions among Russia’s troops, issues that have plagued its army since the start of the war.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...dead-and-15-wounded-in-training-ground-attack

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Heh. I'm going to take a wild guess that you won't say whose standing army Publius was talking about in Federalist 29.

"The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss. It would form an annual deduction from the productive labor of the country, to an amount which, calculating upon the present numbers of the people, would not fall far short of the whole expense of the civil establishments of all the States. To attempt a thing which would abridge the mass of labor and industry to so considerable an extent, would be unwise: and the experiment, if made, could not succeed, because it would not long be endured. Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped; and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year."

"But though the scheme of disciplining the whole nation must be abandoned as mischievous or impracticable; yet it is a matter of the utmost importance that a well-digested plan should, as soon as possible, be adopted for the proper establishment of the militia. The attention of the government ought particularly to be directed to the formation of a select corps of moderate extent, upon such principles as will really fit them for service in case of need. By thus circumscribing the plan, it will be possible to have an excellent body of well-trained militia, ready to take the field whenever the defense of the State shall require it. This will not only lessen the call for military establishments, but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist."

Yep, that bolded part appears to be all about hostile invaders. Or maybe native tribes?

I know, I know, the problem is I'm a bad messenger.

Still wondering.

As for the oft-stated jingoism about how the Constitution guarantees us the "right" to overthrow the gov't, that the Founding Fathers "didn't trust the gov't to keep arms" etc etc, all that is utter nonsense.

Help me out there, Steam Flyer. Whose standing army was he talking about?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Why did Bill Clinton say that TeamD lost control of Congress and Speaker Tom Foolery lost his seat in 1994? I forget...
We're all getting older.

Bill Clinton also forgot.

Bill Clinton on battlefield .22's: ‘We must act now’

Clinton emphasizes the effectiveness and broad bipartisan support of the federal assault weapons ban that he signed into law in 1994 and that Congress allowed to expire in 2004. The law received support at the time from former Presidents Carter, Ford and Reagan.

“They called it a ‘matter of vital importance to the public safety,’” Clinton says in the video. “They were right then, and they’re still right today.”

The former president compares the issue to car safety measures created following the invention of the automobile, such as laws that banned drunk driving and required a driver’s license.

“Guns are now the leading cause of death among children and teens,” Clinton says. “But the last time a machine was killing so many kids, it was the automobile. And we actually did something about it.”

DO SOMETHING!!!