The debate over assault weapons

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Except for simple varmint weapons, guns are for cowards  

As are F-35's, bazookas, Abrams tanks, and etc. 

We now regularly hear gunfire at night (mostly) in our small city, and just walking around had become sort of nervous making. 

You don't hear that, and you don't get that feeling in Canadian or European cities with few or no guns. (Or New Zealand, Oz, Japan, etc.) 

So who is more free ?  Not us, for sure. 

Veterans For Peace 

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

As are F-35's, bazookas, Abrams tanks, and etc. 

We now regularly hear gunfire at night (mostly) in our small city, and just walking around had become sort of nervous making. 

You don't hear that, and you don't get that feeling in Canadian or European cities with few or no guns. (Or New Zealand, Oz, Japan, etc.) 

So who is more free ?  Not us, for sure. 

Veterans For Peace 
We hear gunfire during hunting season. I have run hunters off my family's land but otherwise not a big problem...... just part of local culture.

OTOH there are occasional shootings in the city, there are drugs here. It's still not scary enough to justify packing. I don't want to shoot anybody, anyway, and I seriously thought it was likely I'd have to then I would be more likely to move away.

-DSK

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
OTOH there are occasional shootings in the city, there are drugs here. It's still not scary enough to justify packing. I don't want to shoot anybody, anyway, and I seriously thought it was likely I'd have to then I would be more likely to move away.

-DSK
The question is, which is more free, societies with gunz out the wazoo, or those without?  

jocal505

moderate, informed, ex-gunowner
near Seattle, Wa

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
This time of year, I switch magazines from milsurp  to Winchester 150 gr "Power Point" for Ilk, Bambi, Boo Boo, and Mtn. Lion.

Years ago, I spent too much for some reduced capacity (5 round)  "bench rest" mags thinking  "save weight to lug around the mtns", but after getting skeert  once hiking in zero viz, I now carry the standard mag.

I bring along a Ruger 10/22 with 2x7  scope for sitting around camp, using CCI mini-mag 36 GR HP in a few of those very nice factory rotary mags. (I don't like those extended "banana mags",, they mess up the lines of a nice little piece)

because it's just right for those evil Blue Grouse  that AMBUSH me every time I leave camp,

, and it doesn't make any sense to use a full calibre on something smaller than a chicken,, even if they DO scare the crap out of me every time.

The scoped MK II  gets fed the same ammo as 10/22 so by finding a "tree limb rest" it makes an accurate sniper pistol for Grouse or 'yote.

The 9 is carried cross draw on my chest for really bigass yotes.

I don't ask "permission" from The Crown if I change my mind and want to carry  different equipment on any day.

Does that answer your question in #535, AJ Oliver?

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
How simple do they have to be?

My assault weapon looks like one of these:

marlin-assault-rifles.jpg

In my namesake caliber, needless to say.

My wife's assault weapon is worse: a Ruger 10/22 with a scary adjustable stock. Are you on board with the TeamD Senate plan to ban such things as "assault weapons" or not?

chinabald

Super Anarchist
This time of year, I switch magazines from milsurp  to Winchester 150 gr "Power Point" for Ilk, Bambi, Boo Boo, and Mtn. Lion.

Years ago, I spent too much for some reduced capacity (5 round)  "bench rest" mags thinking  "save weight to lug around the mtns", but after getting skeert  once hiking in zero viz, I now carry the standard mag.

I bring along a Ruger 10/22 with 2x7  scope for sitting around camp, using CCI mini-mag 36 GR HP in a few of those very nice factory rotary mags. (I don't like those extended "banana mags",, they mess up the lines of a nice little piece)

because it's just right for those evil Blue Grouse  that AMBUSH me every time I leave camp,

, and it doesn't make any sense to use a full calibre on something smaller than a chicken,, even if they DO scare the crap out of me every time.

The scoped MK II  gets fed the same ammo as 10/22 so by finding a "tree limb rest" it makes an accurate sniper pistol for Grouse or 'yote.

The 9 is carried cross draw on my chest for really bigass yotes.

I don't ask "permission" from The Crown if I change my mind and want to carry  different equipment on any day.

Does that answer your question in #535, AJ Oliver?
Last bow hunting trip I went on 12 or so years ago. The land owner tells me to bring my shotgun and we would hunt grouse on the last day after the morning deer hunt. 

3 days in a row multiple times I flushed grouse on my way to my deer stand, scared the crap out of me each time. Never saw a deer. Grouse hunting, saw 3 deer and no birds. Over all it was a great weekend in the woods. 

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
One heavily armed hunter equipped with a bow, ka-bar, shotgun and a cell phone vs a flock of birds.  Sounds terrifying.

edit: Two heavily armed hunters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Disingenuous Tom has offended many fellow gun owners like meself with the dogballs crap. Take that trigger mechanism out of the wife's Ruger. Two pins, two seconds. Turn on computer and learn how to modify trigger pull pressure. CAUTION: it's really easy to screw up and make it full auto rock and roll! [Heh heh]

Now her squirrel shooter is in fact a terrorist weapon not an "ordinary dogballs." One dogball round probably won't be lethal but 5 or 10 or 20 probably will be.

I'm a gun guy but let's stop the charade. 

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
3 days in a row multiple times I flushed grouse on my way to my deer stand, scared the crap out of me each time. Never saw a deer. Grouse hunting, saw 3 deer and no birds. Over all it was a great weekend in the woods. 
During Bambi season  I see real nice Ilk,  does & fawns.

Ilk season, of course, I see the big bucks as well as does & fawns.

, but never the Grouse, until they scare the crap out of me.

Once, I decided to quit hunting Ilk for the walk back to camp, and hunt Grouse instead.

( "normal" logic would dictate that when I carry the rimfire,  with Rifal slung on back is the time I would see that Trophy Ilk )

I put my best "sneak" into the spot where Grouse always ambush me,, but the commie bastards had a lookout up a tree and they got me anyway.

Over all it's always a great weekend in the woods

my question is more relatable to the actual topic of the debate .

Anyone ever build a AR kit from Ceratec?   Their prices are so low I am wary.
I don't think there are many (if any)  builders on this board

Find your way to Florida arfcom page, and you'll probably find someone who has built AR stuff and can give good advice.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Disingenuous Tom has offended many fellow gun owners like meself with the dogballs crap. Take that trigger mechanism out of the wife's Ruger. Two pins, two seconds. Turn on computer and learn how to modify trigger pull pressure. CAUTION: it's really easy to screw up and make it full auto rock and roll! [Heh heh]

Now her squirrel shooter is in fact a terrorist weapon not an "ordinary dogballs." One dogball round probably won't be lethal but 5 or 10 or 20 probably will be.

I'm a gun guy but let's stop the charade. 
The fact that her gun, like many others, can be illegally modified does not mean that it's "crap" to point out that her gun is an "assault weapon" just like an AR 15 or any other scary black gun. It just means I do what others here do not and read the definitions in laws. Why that's offensive is beyond me. Because illegal mods are possible? Huh?

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
During Bambi season  I see real nice Ilk,  does & fawns.

Ilk season, of course, I see the big bucks as well as does & fawns.

, but never the Grouse, until they scare the crap out of me.

Once, I decided to quit hunting Ilk for the walk back to camp, and hunt Grouse instead.

( "normal" logic would dictate that when I carry the rimfire,  with Rifal slung on back is the time I would see that Trophy Ilk )

I put my best "sneak" into the spot where Grouse always ambush me,, but the commie bastards had a lookout up a tree and they got me anyway.

Over all it's always a great weekend in the woods

I don't think there are many (if any)  builders on this board

Find your way to Florida arfcom page, and you'll probably find someone who has built AR stuff and can give good advice.
I built one from an 80% lower. 

Didn’t use any fancy coatings though,,, they are not really needed.......

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
The fact that her gun, like many others, can be illegally modified does not mean that it's "crap" to point out that her gun is an "assault weapon" just like an AR 15 or any other scary black gun. It just means I do what others here do not and read the definitions in laws. Why that's offensive is beyond me. Because illegal mods are possible? Huh?
"Possible" ... good one. A kid could do it in 20 minutes. We're not talking machine shop work here or specialty tools. 

Wake the fuck up. 

bpm57

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
"Possible" ... good one. A kid could do it in 20 minutes. We're not talking machine shop work here or specialty tools.
I'm sure the BATFE would like to know about all of these illegal machine guns you apparently know all about.

Wake the fuck up. 
I must of missed this reasoning in all of the nearly identical legislation being proposed in some states. The politicians even forgot to use this as a reason in their self congratulatory press releases announcing their latest attempt to "do something".