The Discarded- Rescuing a Tartan 33

Brae-Burn

Florida
I wonder if my previous owner did all that then when he had the boat. Mine are all free floating. Port side has that same brace. Starboard side has the holding tank, and its brace is permanently fixed there.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I wonder if my previous owner did all that then when he had the boat. Mine are all free floating. Port side has that same brace. Starboard side has the holding tank, and its brace is permanently fixed there.
When you remove the starboard panel, can you access the holding tank hoses for replacement? How tight is it?
A top-down photo would be appreciated if possible.

Brae-Burn

Florida
I haven't had to replace them yet, but it seems pretty tight.
IMG_2741 Small.jpeg

IMG_2742 Small.jpeg

IMG_2743 Small.jpeg

IMG_2745 Small.jpeg

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
@Brae-Burn Wow, very helpful. Please elaborate on the hand pump under the v-berth?
Is it a holding tank transfer pump or is it an emergency bilge pump?

Yeah, access to the holding tank hoses is tight but right now I have zero access. :)

Brae-Burn

Florida
@Brae-Burn Wow, very helpful. Please elaborate on the hand pump under the v-berth?
Is it a holding tank transfer pump or is it an emergency bilge pump?

Yeah, access to the holding tank hoses is tight but right now I have zero access. :)
Glad it helped.

So the pump thing is connected to that green hose. If you follow it starboard, it connects to a T fitting. One side is connected to green hose, the other side of the T is connected to the toilet and the bottom of the T is connected to the holding tank which is near the bottom of the tank.

I BELIEVE its to pump out the holding tank, but I wonder if it would suck in air though from the toilet and just not work....

accnick

Super Anarchist

Looks like a kink in green hose coming off the pump to the port side in the top photo. If you want to do a tight radius like that, you may want to look at a different type of hose.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
@Brae-Burn That holding tank pump is an interesting arrangement. I can't zoom into the photos but it looks like the hose goes to a through-hull that used to be for a transducer (that's where mine are located).

I think as long as the pump is pulling effluent, it will work. The tank will pull a vacuum (inhale) through the vent just as if you were using a pump-out at a dock.

My arrangement is different. A PO added two selector valves and a Boswell "Gusher" diaphragm manual pump crammed in under the head sink and plumbed them to the factory overboard seacock for the toilet. When I want to empty the holding tank, I simply flip the necessary valve from "deck" to "sea", open the seacock and operate the pump under the sink.

Brae-Burn

Florida
Looks like a kink in green hose coming off the pump to the port side in the top photo. If you want to do a tight radius like that, you may want to look at a different type of hose.
I don't use it at the moment, but it is something that has crossed my mind. I will probably end up using the actual hose, the white hose, and draw arrows on it and such to just document what pipe does what. I need to replace all my head hoses as well and will do the same thing.
@Brae-Burn That holding tank pump is an interesting arrangement. I can't zoom into the photos but it looks like the hose goes to a through-hull that used to be for a transducer (that's where mine are located).

I think as long as the pump is pulling effluent, it will work. The tank will pull a vacuum (inhale) through the vent just as if you were using a pump-out at a dock.

My arrangement is different. A PO added two selector valves and a Boswell "Gusher" diaphragm manual pump crammed in under the head sink and plumbed them to the factory overboard seacock for the toilet. When I want to empty the holding tank, I simply flip the necessary valve from "deck" to "sea", open the seacock and operate the pump under the sink.
Interesting! I had two thru hulls, one for a speed indicator and one for a depth transducer, but they were directly under the pump. I closed them off when I bought the boat and just installed a inhull depth transducer. I want as little holes in my boat as possible. The hose goes to a sideish thru-hull. I can get a better picture today. Nicole went over me, so I stayed in a hotel for the night. Boat is safe, checked on her this morning.

I think mine is like that as well Ajax. I have a, I think, 3 way selector switch. I haven't messed with it much and its hard to access to see everything.

@Ajax what type of bilge pump do you have? I have a hole at the top of my mast and when it rains a lot of water gets in. My bilge pump I use, doesn't get everything so there is like 2 - 3 inches of water in my bilge. I want to get it as low as possible via the pump, and then I can sponge the rest out.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
draw arrows on it and such to just document what pipe does what.
That's exactly what I did.

what type of bilge pump do you have?
I have the usual Rule 2000 gph electric pump that most people use, installed in the forward-most bilge bay where the water tends to collect.

There is also a Whale/Henderson Mk V hand pump installed in the cockpit.

In a real "oh shit" emergency, I can remove the hose from the back of my toilet and jam an extension hose onto it and use my toilet pump as another emergency hand pump. It's also a Henderson Mk V.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't found a way or a good "nuisance" pump to get that last 2 inches of water out of our bilge. I simply use a 2.5 gallon shop vac after it rains.

Brae-Burn

Florida
That's exactly what I did.

I have the usual Rule 2000 gph electric pump that most people use, installed in the forward-most bilge bay where the water tends to collect.

There is also a Whale/Henderson Mk V hand pump installed in the cockpit.

In a real "oh shit" emergency, I can remove the hose from the back of my toilet and jam an extension hose onto it and use my toilet pump as another emergency hand pump. It's also a Henderson Mk V.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't found a way or a good "nuisance" pump to get that last 2 inches of water out of our bilge. I simply use a 2.5 gallon shop vac after it rains.
Okay, so it isn't just me that has water in the bilge after it rains.
I am starting to see that it is just a keel stepped mast thing.
Thanks. I usually do the shop vac too, but its a little too small 1 gal so it fills up fast.
I will just invest in a small utility pump then.

Thank you sir!

Brae-Burn

Florida
I have a Head-Mate by Wilcox Crittenden.

Haven't used it yet, and I don't know if I will ever go #2 in it... I prefer the powerful toilets you see in public spaces. My exgfs aunt and uncle had them in their house, and they are just dreamy.

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
$35k is wildly optimistic.
Actually it isn’t wildly optimistic- perhaps on the higher end.

T-33’s currently for sale range from the mid-29’s to over 40. The boat has had extensive upgrades, including Andersen winches, and two new tri-radial sails. Over the past few years I have probably spent over $15 of my delivery earnings on goodies. So you can buy that $24k boat with blown out sails, old MFD, no wind data, etc, etc. Or buy one that is ready to go.

Since I DID pay for and ad in the classifieds, here is a link to photos and a pdf with full details https://uscgmaster.com/cyn The pdf also has a link to the searches for comps.

Last edited:

Latest posts