The Discarded- Rescuing a Tartan 33

Beer fueled Mayhem

Anarchist
Ballard, WA
Pics dammit! We need more pics!!
Of the boat?

Splash was supposed to be this past Friday. Fail.

My boat is parked in the "Land of Misfit Toys," way in the back. It's a quagmire back there. I was told that the yard had some gravel brought in and would launch me on Friday. I showed up a week later on Friday, as per my two earlier phone conversations with the yard scheduler, but when I inquired at the office, no one knew what the hell I was talking about and the gravel was still in a big pile. The yard scheduler was out to lunch. They decided the ground was too wet for the travel lift anyway. The scheduler told me to call back Monday.

I called today, as directed. The answer? "We're going to spread some gravel around and launch you on Friday."

So, I have no new pics and no real news except that everything below the waterline has been inspected, repaired or replaced as necessary.

New anti-foul, and I've polished and waxed the topsides, I nuked the massive wasp nest in the anchor locker and bent on the mainsail.

I've installed the 2nd new battery in the battery bank, and then for good measure, I swabbed out some suspicious looking skid marks in the fuel tank before filling it with 10 gallons of fresh diesel. Turns out the skid marks were nothing. I thought they might be snotties that could clog the fuel pickup, but they were nothing to be concerned about. The tank is really pretty clean.

Hopefully I'll have better news this weekend.
It's funny but people want pics of anything boat related myself included. You could have posted pics of the wasp nest!!

I found and find it really hard to photo something while I'm working on it. I just don't think that way.

Looking forward to seeing your boat in the water! Very exciting!

zedboy

Eastern Med
When I moved my old boat from outside Hamilton to Lake Simcoe (~150km? including an explosive tire failure on the 407, good thing the trailer was 2-axle) we discovered a surprised and unhappy mother racoon and her kits under the cockpit.

I called a local exterminator with coon experience, he said, "Leave the hatch open and I'll be she's gone by tomorrow!" ... I was lucky and he was right.

james3232

You could also move the hasp to be on the cockpit wall and the staple/latch portion to the hatch. That way when the hatch slams shut the hasp won't slam over the staple. The line around the winch is probably less work though and just about as effective.
That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in.
You could also install a gas strut to hold the hatch open. Verrah nice
15002_output.jpg
Gee that's a great idea. (Sarcastic font see post 89)
I've seen the struts on caravan boats before, why is it such a bad idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Well mine is 80 - requires a healthy reduction valve.
We have about 90 psi water pressure here. I live just down the street from the water plant. They don't have a tower. Giant pump, I guess.

In other water related news, yesterday I received notices that a new water main is to be installed down my driveway, then it will turn and run down my mother's property line next door and out through about 1,000 of swamp to the creek. That should be interesting. They'll basically be doing construction on pudding that is overgrown with vegetation. Airboats and specialized swamp machines can go there but nothing else can.

/h2o hijack

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
When I moved my old boat from outside Hamilton to Lake Simcoe (~150km? including an explosive tire failure on the 407, good thing the trailer was 2-axle) we discovered a surprised and unhappy mother racoon and her kits under the cockpit.

I called a local exterminator with coon experience, he said, "Leave the hatch open and I'll be she's gone by tomorrow!" ... I was lucky and he was right.
Oh...so lucky I didn't have THAT problem.

In other news, one of my neighbors has sailing experience and seems interested in buying my Pearson 30. That would be terribly convenient.

I stressed that I'd be happy to answer any questions that arise after the purchase and maybe even help with certain maintenance but not to depend on me as his personal mechanic. He seemed to get it.

The week is going by far too slowly. I'm ready, the boat's ready, the rain has finally stopped and it's a holiday weekend that's coming up. I'd really, really like to get it in the water now.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Hoping for a good timely launch for you Ajax!

It will all be worth it first time you take a cruise on the Tartan!

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
You could also move the hasp to be on the cockpit wall and the staple/latch portion to the hatch. That way when the hatch slams shut the hasp won't slam over the staple. The line around the winch is probably less work though and just about as effective.
That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in.
15002_output.jpg
James, Alcatraz had posted the same idea in post 89 and I had missed it. Hence the sarcasm The struts were on the boat when we bought it and they work like a charm

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Oh! Oh! I recently replaced the hood struts on the Beemer, and saved the one that wasn't flat "as a spare." New weekend project! (Also don't forget to add a LED dome light down in there.) Thanks, guys.

Good luck with the launch, Ajax. Assign someone to take some pics, and have fun!

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
(Also don't forget to add a LED dome light down in there.) Thanks, guys.

!
Screw the dome light. Get some led strip lighting and glue 4-5 feet of LED strip lighting down there. You don't go into the laz often, but when you do, having it lit up like Times Square is handy.

Helps you find all the shit that rolls into the nooks and crannies.

Shu

Super Anarchist
Mr. Johnson,

I design pipelines for a living. I hate dealing with soup posing as soil. I hope your house foundation doesn't decide it wants to join in on the fun once the trench walls start collapsing.

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
Shu

That was cold!

Having done a fair amount of construction in SFLA, it is most likely sand so they can probably get by with a 4' ditch, and no shoring. At the worst they will probably drag a trench box.

Karma is a bitch. Don't get PJ riled :)

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Possible t-storms in the afternoon now. I'm going to call them and ask to be splashed around 10am, so they'll need to keep the heat on and spread that rock.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
15002_output.jpg
Not a replacement for a proper positive closure device (e.g. hasp or better), though.

james3232

That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in
Not a replacement for a proper positive closure device (e.g. hasp or better), though.
Looks a lot better than a piece of lastic round the primary though, and you get the nice whoosh noise

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
LOL @ the "whoosh" noise.

My spies have informed me that the yard has finished filling in the travel lift path with gravel, so there should be no impediment to splashing tomorrow.

Once it's in the water though, it all comes down to whether or not I did my maintenance right. I need 3 things to happen tomorrow:

-Water stays on the right side of the hull.

-Jib goes up without a fuss (roller furling)

-Engine runs as well as it did during the demo.