The Discarded- Rescuing a Tartan 33

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
My friend Bernie worked on his boat alone a lot, and worried about getting down the starboard hatch and having it close and lock on top of him.
Heh...the thought did occur to me as a shimmied down there yesterday. I made sure to block the hatch and have my cell phone on me.
You think that is how illuminary bought it?? <_<

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
My friend Bernie worked on his boat alone a lot, and worried about getting down the starboard hatch and having it close and lock on top of him.
Heh...the thought did occur to me as a shimmied down there yesterday. I made sure to block the hatch and have my cell phone on me.
I have a 1/4" line that is kept on the spring that hold the latch open. Before going down it is tied off between the latch and th Bimini/dodger. Almost idiot proof method of ensuring I don't get locked down there. Not if--- when you need to do a filter change in the ocean, it takes that issue off the mind.

That reminds me, does she have an electric lift pump? For $100, makes bleeding much easier.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
'Zounds, I'm whipped. With the help of way too many people to list, we've accomplished the following:

1. Replaced broken Martec propeller with another Martec (Monel cotter pins on order).
2. Replaced all 4 cockpit drain hoses and the "T" to the propane tank locker, inspected exhaust hose.
3. Replaced prop shaft stuffing.
4. Test operated all hull ball valves and inspected their mounts, inspected associated hoses and clamps.
5. Pumped out the fuel tank and swabbed it out.
6. Cleaned out engine raw water strainer.
7. Installed new bilge pump (float switch needs a hot wire, but can pump manually with the flick of a switch).
8. Scrubbed hull clean.
9. Replaced raw water pump impeller.
10. Finished mounting main battery selector switch.

Still to be done prior to launch:

11. Change oil and filter (my vacuum extractor broke or it would have been done already).
11. Drop rudder and replace bearings (coordinate with yard on reinstall/launch day).
12. Paint anti-foul on hull.
13. Buff and wax green topsides.
13. Pull new jib and main halyards.

Some photos of the phuquery:

Fuel tank after being pumped down. I managed to swab out some of the remaining goobers.
vo9atf.jpg

This is what all the cockpit drain hoses looked like. All of them, including the "T" for the propane locker:

x43axs.jpg

16 inch Martec installed. This is the size that Tartan specs all for. The hand model is illustrating the distance from the tips to the hull.
Hopefully this is adequate...

dfdlvt.jpg

In the event that the Martec is to "wrong" to work well, I found a 15 inch, fixed, Michigan Sailor in one of the lockers. :(
I wish I'd dug a little deeper around the boat before running out to buy a replacement prop. However, this prop also does not agree with Tartan specs. It's 15X11P. The prop should either be 16X11P so I'm not sure how it got onto the boat. Whatever, I'm over it for now.

Still got plenty of work to do by the end of the month. It won't stop raining, my lawn is knee-high, my boat is infested with hornets and literally being circled by vultures in the boat yard. It's gloomy and creepy and I want OUT.

sculpin

Super Anarchist
I once had the hatch blow shut just as I was coming out, slammed on my arm. Now I tie it open.

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
I once had the hatch blow shut just as I was coming out, slammed on my arm. Now I tie it open.
Similar experience. Ended up attaching a shock cord loop and hook to the underside of the hatch. Just the right length to slip over the primary winch when the lid was open.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Similar experience. Ended up attaching a shock cord loop and hook to the underside of the hatch. Just the right length to slip over the primary winch when the lid was open.
Ah, yes. I have a bungie cord with a hook fastened to the lifelines for that very purpose.

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
Tip clearance looks good Ajax. Should be 10% of prop diameter minimum to ease hull excitation. 15 percent is better providing you can maintain the proper propeller diameter.

sam_crocker

Super Anarchist
PNW
You could also move the hasp to be on the cockpit wall and the staple/latch portion to the hatch. That way when the hatch slams shut the hasp won't slam over the staple. The line around the winch is probably less work though and just about as effective.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
You could also move the hasp to be on the cockpit wall and the staple/latch portion to the hatch. That way when the hatch slams shut the hasp won't slam over the staple. The line around the winch is probably less work though and just about as effective.
That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in.

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in.
You could also install a gas strut to hold the hatch open. Verrah nice

15002_output.jpg

Alcatraz5768

Super Anarchist
15002_output.jpg
Gee that's a great idea. (Sarcastic font see post 89)

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
15002_output.jpg
86 the wood trim... More maintenance work.

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
15002_output.jpg
Dooh!! Facepalm.
Great minds, and all that??

Last edited by a moderator:

Alcatraz5768

Super Anarchist
15002_output.jpg
Dooh!! Facepalm.
Great minds, and all that??
And ours too.